Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 21 September 2012, 17:28   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Greatham, Hampshire
Boat name: Sandy Alex
Make: sr4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 55dt
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 96
Sib seat repair.

Hi wonder if you can help.
A week ago the seatbelt material that supports the seat on my sib came out of the pocket where I assume it is glued. The repair should be simple but what kind of adhesive would you recommend?

Any help I would appreciate it
Cheers
Peter


Cheers
__________________

__________________
gridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2012, 18:14   #2
Trade member
 
Ribstore's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: UK
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by gridge View Post
Hi wonder if you can help.
A week ago the seatbelt material that supports the seat on my sib came out of the pocket where I assume it is glued. The repair should be simple but what kind of adhesive would you recommend?

Any help I would appreciate it
Cheers
Peter


Cheers
Hi Peter, the webbing will have been originally glued and stitched to form a single seat retaining patch. The most robust approach will be to remove the complete seat retaining patch and glue-on a new ready made patch. Glue will be dependant upon what your tube is made from i.e. 2 part pvc glue for pvc/pu tubes or 2-part hypalon glue for hypalon tubes. If you tubes are hypalon and the new patch is pvc then you wil need to prime the pvc patch first with pvc glue before affixing with the 2 part hypalon glue.

Chris
__________________
Parts and advice for RIBs and SIBs
www.Ribstore.co.uk
Ribstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2012, 13:59   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Greatham, Hampshire
Boat name: Sandy Alex
Make: sr4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 55dt
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 96
Thanks Chris, if I were to get it repaired properly who would be able to do it as I assume it isn't anything I can do myself. A less robust way would be to lather it in 2 part glue and let it dry....or would that be totally crap?
__________________
gridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2012, 14:26   #4
Trade member
 
Ribstore's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: UK
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by gridge View Post
Thanks Chris, if I were to get it repaired properly who would be able to do it as I assume it isn't anything I can do myself. A less robust way would be to lather it in 2 part glue and let it dry....or would that be totally crap?
Hi Gridge, It really needs to be sewn and glued. Unless you know someone local to you/mates rates etc, with an industrial sewing machine (but you would still need to remove the old patch to re-sew/glue the webbing) then the most cost effective route is likely to be to simply remove the old patch and affix a new one. We sell the seat retaining strap patches ready made - see here or happy to repair for you but it would cost more to repair than the replacement patch (throwaway society)
__________________
Parts and advice for RIBs and SIBs
www.Ribstore.co.uk
Ribstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2012, 04:45   #5
Trade member
 
Dave Cowell's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chorley, Lancs
Length: no boat
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 81
As Ribstore said, the cost effective way would be to replace the old strap with new, however you may not get an exact colour match.
Repairing the existing strap would keep the "original" look if that is important to you.
__________________
Retubes and Repairs
www.nwri.co.uk
Dave Cowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2012, 17:09   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Greatham, Hampshire
Boat name: Sandy Alex
Make: sr4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 55dt
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 96
Thanks for the responses guys, Chris, if I were to buy stuff to remove the old and clean, prepare and stick the new what would I need? Also are there instructions?

I have also found a coup,e of pinholes in the floor.. What do I need to fix those and how?

Thanks in advance.
__________________
gridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2012, 03:36   #7
Trade member
 
Ribstore's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: UK
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by gridge View Post
Chris, if I were to buy stuff to remove the old and clean, prepare and stick the new what would I need? Also are there instructions?

I have also found a coup,e of pinholes in the floor.. What do I need to fix those and how?
Hi Gridge, If the existing patch is glued then some gentle warming should loosen the glue plus some solvent to help further remove the old glue residue (best not to mix the hot air and the solvent) [use MEK or acetone for PVC/Toluene for Hypalon], affix new patch with ToobBond 2-part Hypalon glue for Hypalon fabric or 2-part Ribstore PVC glue for PVC.

Assming that you have a single layer fabric floor? then the easiest approach would be to apply small fabric patches (min 50mm overlap), use the matching solvent & glue, as above. Hypalon, PVC and PU fabric (patches or cut from the roll) is here

Generic glueing instructions are here (amongst other help & advice guides) and there are also detailed instructions on the glue labels.

Cheers
__________________
Parts and advice for RIBs and SIBs
www.Ribstore.co.uk
Ribstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2012, 08:27   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Greatham, Hampshire
Boat name: Sandy Alex
Make: sr4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 55dt
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribstore

Hi Gridge, If the existing patch is glued then some gentle warming should loosen the glue plus some solvent to help further remove the old glue residue (best not to mix the hot air and the solvent) [use MEK or acetone for PVC/Toluene for Hypalon], affix new patch with ToobBond 2-part Hypalon glue for Hypalon fabric or 2-part Ribstore PVC glue for PVC.

Assming that you have a single layer fabric floor? then the easiest approach would be to apply small fabric patches (min 50mm overlap), use the matching solvent & glue, as above. Hypalon, PVC and PU fabric (patches or cut from the roll) is here

Generic glueing instructions are here (amongst other help & advice guides) and there are also detailed instructions on the glue labels.

Cheers
Magic, thanks. The floor is an air deck.. Seapro 3.4 I think.. Is it still the same method?
__________________
gridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2012, 08:58   #9
Trade member
 
Ribstore's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: UK
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by gridge View Post
Magic, thanks. The floor is an air deck.. Seapro 3.4 I think.. Is it still the same method?
Yes, providing you don't have any bulges when inflated i.e. the drop stitch hasn't failed, worth searching on here for air deck/drop stitch repair threads.
Chris
__________________
Parts and advice for RIBs and SIBs
www.Ribstore.co.uk
Ribstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2012, 10:08   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Greatham, Hampshire
Boat name: Sandy Alex
Make: sr4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 55dt
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 96
thanks chris, i have ordered the repair kit and mex. how quickly will they arrive with me?
__________________

__________________
gridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.