Old 21 September 2008, 15:18   #1

Length: no boat
SIB Questions?

I am currently saving up to buy a SIB, looking to spend up to £800. I have done a little bit of research and i think i want something at least 3m long, and at least a 10HP outboard. I know for £800 i won't get anything brilliant, but should get something reasonable 2nd hand.

I intend to use the SIB for use on the lakes in the lake district, and also would like to use it in the sea. One of the reasons for going for a SIB is so i can fit it into the boot of my car, cos i don't have anywhere to keep a trailor.

Now, what sort of weight are the outboards? For example whats the difference between a 10hp, 15hp, 20hp and 25hp? What am i best going for if i want to trasnport in my car boot? Also sometimes i would be on my own, now i would definatly go for those folding wheels to launch. Also what size boat should i go for?
Old 21 September 2008, 17:46   #2

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ickleric View Post
Now, what sort of weight are the outboards? For example whats the difference between a 10hp, 15hp, 20hp and 25hp? What am i best going for if i want to trasnport in my car boot? Also sometimes i would be on my own, now i would definatly go for those folding wheels to launch. Also what size boat should i go for?
The weight of the engine will vary with the age, brand and type of engine (2 or 4 stroke). If you look at manufacturer's websites, you can likely get an idea of the weights of current engines.

In some cases, engines of different horsepower might actually be the same engine, just with different carbs, or computers etc. The key is not to exceed the rated power limit on the boat.

As for size, again that will depend entirely on the load tou need to carry. My forst SIB was 12.5 feet with a 25 on it. It was a great little bpat of touring around, for diving for a couple of us, and it sipped fuel. I did on occassion take 4 or 5 divers out in it, but that was a huge load.

My next SIB was 14 footer, with a 40. It went like stink, had lots of room for 3 or 4 divers, but was getting pretty heavy to haul around (especially with the 40) and I ended up puting it on a trailer. The boat would have been fine with a 25 as well I suppose...

"Footitis" is a common ailment associated with boats of al types. If you can find one, I'd suggest 14 feet is an ideal size, aith an engine that suits your needs~

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2008, 18:58   #3

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
I am currently saving up to buy a SIB, looking to spend up to £800. I have done a little bit of research and i think i want something at least 3m long, and at least a 10HP outboard. I know for £800 i won't get anything brilliant, but should get something reasonable 2nd hand.

I intend to use the SIB for use on the lakes in the lake district, and also would like to use it in the sea. One of the reasons for going for a SIB is so i can fit it into the boot of my car, cos i don't have anywhere to keep a trailor.

2 stokes 10/15 outboards up to 10/12 years old, weights about 40/42 kilos, same 25/30 about 52/54 Kg, 4 strokes same versions add 10 KG minimum per model. If you plan to use a sib alone sometimes, a 330/340/350 would be fine with 15 HP if portability & less weight is a must have. For a larger sib same engine, you can opt for inflatable floor 360/380 models, larger woodem/aluminum sibs & engines will kill you if alone.

Happy Sibbing
Old 21 September 2008, 19:58   #4

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
SIBs are great fun but don't under estimate the size of them when deflated. They will take up most of the room in the boot of an average car. You will probable end up with it on the roof or getting a little 4x3 camping trailer. They will be ideal on the lakes though.
Old 21 September 2008, 20:17   #5

Town: Alderney
Hi,

It sounds like you have the makings of a plan to me, a 3m boat with a 10HP will be both manageable and capable.

I am totally biased in favour of the Quicksilvers and on this occasion I am tempted to deviate from form and not suggest a heavy duty version, but one of the Sport models that has an inflatable keel section and a solid panel floor. You should be able to get a new 3.4m one for under 800 or a second hand one with an small engine for maybe a smidge more.

Old 22 September 2008, 00:55   #6

Town: Toronto
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha, 15hp, 2str
Forget about 3m. Get 3.30 hard floor or 3.65 airdeck you will not notice difference when packed between them and 3m. But on the water 365 will make huge difference. I used to own 3m now I have 3.85 my friend has 3.65. 9.8 Nissan 4st with high trust prop (pitch size 6) will put on the plane 3.65 with 200kg load.

800 ... look at non branded boats ... like http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ayphotohosting
Old 22 September 2008, 05:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim. View Post
800 ... look at non branded boats ...
That looks like a Quicksilver Adventure to me, if the photo of the CE plate were high res I would be able to say for sure.

Even so, your advice is right about the step up from 3m to 3.4, 3.6 or even better a 3.8.
Old 22 September 2008, 13:56   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
That looks like a Quicksilver Adventure to me, if the photo of the CE plate were high res I would be able to say for sure.
I doubt it is a Quicksilver. It could look like one. Reverse engineering should be based on some brand.
Old 22 September 2008, 14:11   #9

Quote:
I doubt it is a Quicksilver. It could look like one. Reverse engineering should be based on some brand.
I quite agree, I do not see any Quicksilver branding at all. Hence it looks likes one, rather than being one.

The real give away is the CE plates, the grey-imports often have a copy of the 'donor' design's plate rather than being assessed in their own right.
Old 22 September 2008, 15:22   #10

Honestly speaking I am not worrying too much about re-branded boats. Look at that http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=230289731054 Will you be able to get brand name 14 feet boat under 1K US$ shipped? No, period. Regarding quality I owned two boats from them and was able to compare my boats with others on a boat show. Trust me difference does not cost another 1K+ ....
Old 22 September 2008, 16:16   #11

Town: Newmarket
Boat name: ELA
Make: METZELER
Engine: 20 Suzuki
boat covers

I was on the ebay sight that Dim posted. Wonder if there boat covers were any good. Lost mine the last storm we had.
Old 22 September 2008, 16:36   #12

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
This 3.4m Avon with 5HP outboard has been on ebay a couple of times and failed to sell:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Grey-AVON-R340-Inflatable-Boat-with-5hp-Honda-Engine_W0QQitemZ130253937135QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em130253937135&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A13|240 %3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Outboard is a bit small but you could always sell it on. Drop the seller a line and see if he will take an offer...

Cheers

Chris
Old 22 September 2008, 17:00   #13

yeah i think i will go for something around the 3.3m size, and get either a 10hp or 15hp.

Would a 3.3m (ish) be ok in the sea?

Also does anyone have any photos or videos of there SIB around the 3.3m size? The reason i ask, is because when looking on ebay, and other sites you look at 2 boats the same size and they don't look the same size. Its hard to get an idea of sizes, would be good to see some proper pics in the water or been used. When i get round to buying one i'll make sure i look at a few 1st.
Old 22 September 2008, 17:31   #14

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
yeah i think i will go for something around the 3.3m size, and get either a 10hp or 15hp.

Would a 3.3m (ish) be ok in the sea?

Also does anyone have any photos or videos of there SIB around the 3.3m size? .
So to have an idea of 3.20 Mtr size, pics 01-03-04-06
3.60 Mtr Size pics 05-07

Both sizes hard floor or air floor are excellent for sea use.

http://www.pbase.com/locozodiac/locozodiac_316

Happy Sibbing
Old 22 September 2008, 17:49   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dverstege View Post
I was on the ebay sight that Dim posted. Wonder if there boat covers were any good. Lost mine the last storm we had.
Had one for 10' boat. Very good protection from debris, etc. only con. I found it is non breathable. So when boat left for overnight expect to see condensate inside and your stuff would be dump if left in the boat. However I do not believe you could find breathable for that price.
Old 22 September 2008, 21:14   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
Outboard is a bit small but you could always sell it on. Drop the seller a line and see if he will take an offer...
Is it something wrong with me or they placed poor 4st Honda on the wrong side? Newer used 4st but looking at the pic's it should rest on the handle when stored horizontally ...
Old 22 September 2008, 21:23   #17
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Is it something wrong with me or they placed poor 4st Honda on the wrong side? Newer used 4st but looking at the pic's it should rest on the handle when stored horizontally ...
no my honda 4str was supposed to be stored handle side up.