Old 25 January 2019, 19:14   #1

Town: Exeter
Boat name: -
Make: Honwave
Length: 4m +
Engine: 15hp
Sib overnight security

I’m looking at leaving my sib for a few days/ nights at a time on a jetty in the estuary throughout the summer, does anyone have any security ideas how to stop it getting nicked?
Someone suggested drilling a hole through the transom to chain it up.
It’s a 4m Honwave with a 20hp Honda outboard.
Old 25 January 2019, 20:11   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Not much you can do really bar the usual engine lock etc to stop the pettiest of petty thieves, don’t leave anything on the boat, I cover mine with a grotty old tarp too. I leave mine on the Dart with countless others when on hols there and they seem to survive the night amazingly. Obviously you’re insured if the worst happens.
Old 25 January 2019, 20:21   #3

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Have a couple of D rigns in the transom and use these to have a cycle style lock or chain and padlock. Use this to secure to the jetty along with a good outboard lock.

The trick is to make it look harder then the next one rather then provide 100 protection.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 20:41   #4

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
but if you are using chain / lock be considerate to other pontoon users and leave in on a decent length.

Nothing worse than thoughless / selfish twonks who chain their boat tight against a busy pontoon preventing others from accessing it
Old 25 January 2019, 21:26   #5

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Also check with insurer that it is insured on a pontoon overnight..... and follow whatever precautions they require.

I would suggest not leaving fuel tank on board overnight
Old 25 January 2019, 21:32   #6

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexwalms View Post
I’m looking at leaving my sib for a few days/ nights at a time on a jetty in the estuary throughout the summer, does anyone have any security ideas how to stop it getting nicked?
Someone suggested drilling a hole through the transom to chain it up.
It’s a 4m Honwave with a 20hp Honda outboard.
I lost a SIB and engine (stolen) many years ago from inside a Locked members only Yaght club!....Insurance paid out in the end but some hassle along the way.
If you're set on leaving it...and not transporting as most do... (Because its easy and one of the main advantages of a SIB
..I'd hunt around for somewhere (local to the launch site) where you can get it securely under cover and pay a few quid for the peace of mind..there's is NO practiicle way to secure it in a Public place and that lil Honda and /or the Honwave will bring out the bottom feeders ....like flys on Shxt!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 01:26   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yep agree first check insurance... Max and I had to add "left unattended on tidal waters" cover as an extra.

From a lifetime on the water I have always regarded it bad form to fix a boat to a pontoon or similar with a lock.

Just get it insured... have outboard locked to boat... take off any kit and the fuel tank.

When I had mine moored for two weeks last summer I tied on a 10yr old grubby outboard cover several sizes too big that meant the boys would have to faff a bit to see if the OB was worth taking. I also bolted the OB on to add to the time/difficulty to remove it.
Old 26 January 2019, 09:06   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
a cordless grinder will do wonders in few mins and just tow the lot off if they want it it's gone, just do what the insurance require. we had a rib & sib on trailers taken from work behind security fencing wheel locks on and hitch locks it took them 11 minutes from start to finish to take both
Old 26 January 2019, 11:17   #9

Yes I suppose a determined/ organised thief will get it no matter what security you have.
I’ll make sure it’s insured this year and buy a couple of decent chains ��
Old 26 January 2019, 15:25   #10

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
The third party element of the insurance is arguably more important so I'd never go anywhere where anyone else is on/in the water/with you without insurance regardless. Maim/kill someone and you're in big trouble otherwise...
Old 27 January 2019, 00:29   #11

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Figure out a deadman switch. A simple switch or hidden wire that shorts the ignition or? That will keep a thief from starting your engine.
Something that if daytime thief’s won’t see when given it a quick look under the cover.
In an old classic car I had used the under dash light switch. It was converted into a kill switch.
Perhaps just pull the prop?
Old 27 January 2019, 06:26   #12

Yes thought about taking the prop with me, I’d definately take kill cord and fuel line with me and use a couple of chains to secure it but that’s about the best I can do. You can only access the jetty by water and it’s a muddy estuary to try and walk out to so that should help .
Old 27 January 2019, 08:43   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexwalms View Post
Yes thought about taking the prop with me, I’d definately take kill cord and fuel line with me and use a couple of chains to secure it but that’s about the best I can do. You can only access the jetty by water and it’s a muddy estuary to try and walk out to so that should help .

I feel really sorry for those of you who boat in bandit country and need to take these sort of precautions.

There are three types of trouble you are trying to avoid
- the determined thief possibly stealing to order and who will have tools and a plan. Virtually nothing you can do will stop him unless there is another easier option nearby. For SIBs the engine is probably the most sellable bit so obviously lock it.
- the joy rider, possibly on the way home from the pub who fancies a wee shot or wants to “borrow” it to get home. Take the kill chord will stop most, the fuel line (even just disconnected will confuse drunks!), or if this is a really bad problem in the area lock the engine up or to one side.
- the drunk idiot - who goes down the jetty untying everything and casting it adrift for a laugh. You chains would stop them but are antisocial for others using the pontoon and forbidden in some areas*. A second long rope tied out of sight onto a bit of the pontoon not easily reached from dry land (eg a loop around the pontoons anchor chain) probably thwarts 90% of idiots.

*i wouldn’t be that surprised if in some places a local or wafi takes offence at some MoBo tourist doing this and sticks a knife in the tubes!
Old 27 January 2019, 17:07   #14

Town: Phoenix
Make: Achilles SGX-132
Engine: Yamaha 25EFI
Some very good advice here! A bunch of precautions (chains, cables, etc) also take away from the freedom, fun, and ease of use of our little boats. And if the bad guys want it they will take it anyway. If you have a “nice” boat, motor, or component, Max’s idea of the nasty old cover(s) is great. Bottom line, if you can’t afford, or don’t want to afford a loss, insurance is easiest. A loss on your first day of vacation would be a bummer though!

Tags
sib