Old 16 July 2017, 10:01   #1

Town: Hemel Hempstead
Make: Seago 290
Length: under 3m
Engine: Honda 2hp 4t
SIB on holiday in Greece

Hi everyone, I'm heading down to Thassos in Greece this summer and since I'll be driving anyway, I was thinking about taking a small inflatable with me to explore the island with my son.
I'm aiming for something around 2.7m in length, certainly no longer than 3.5m and was thinking of a small outboard, no bigger than 4hp. We'll basically be within 200m of the coast at all times exploring and snorkelling.

I've been to Thassos before 6 years ago and I recall the surf being very calm so not really worried about a powerful motor. Or should I be?

Now to my actual question. I can't find any info on laws regarding this size of boat and outboard. All the legislation regarding insurance, taxes etc refer to boats over 7m and over 5hp. Where do I stand with regard to being legal? I'm probably going to be launching from a beach.
Other than life vests, do I need to carry anything else?, do I need insurance or licenses?

If its complicated, I'm even tempted to ditch the outboard and just use oars as we won't be going far.

Any tips are most welcome, I'm totally new to boats and really don't want to start off on the wrong foot, especially in a foreign country.
Old 16 July 2017, 11:26   #2

Town: Pewsey
Make: Honwave T32IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF6
I can’t answer your question on laws and legislation but the first question I would ask is how big is the vehicle you’re driving to Greece? I’m quite new to sibs and the biggest shock to me was the sheer size and weight of my 3.2 meter Honwave uninflated. It’s huge and very heavy and will take up a lot of car space, and that’s without the outboard. You’ll need a sizeable car to get the boat, engine, family and luggage in. Just wanted to mention this before you start planning too much, as this will be a deal breaker if you don’t have a big car.
Old 16 July 2017, 13:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojslokin View Post
I can’t answer your question on laws and legislation but the first question I would ask is how big is the vehicle you’re driving to Greece? I’m quite new to sibs and the biggest shock to me was the sheer size and weight of my 3.2 meter Honwave uninflated. It’s huge and very heavy and will take up a lot of car space, and that’s without the outboard. You’ll need a sizeable car to get the boat, engine, family and luggage in. Just wanted to mention this before you start planning too much, as this will be a deal breaker if you don’t have a big car.
You make a good point.

Its a VW Jetta with a huge boot and big roofbox. I was hoping to get the boat in the roofbox as we can fit in the car with our luggage.
Old 16 July 2017, 16:06   #4

Town: Pewsey
Make: Honwave T32IE
Engine: Honda BF6
My Honwave T32 when fully packed away is around 60cm tall so make sure you have enough headroom in the roofbox. Honwaves do tend to be a little bulkier than some other models by all accounts but be careful not to underestimate how much space you’ll need.
Old 16 July 2017, 16:14   #5
MCL

Town: Stamford
My zodiac 325 fastroller is far to heavy for me to lift past waist hight. A big shock to me was the bulk and weight of it.
Old 16 July 2017, 17:10   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Our Aerotec 3.8 is far bulkier than the average 3.2-3.4m air floor sib and with the bulky nature also of a 20hp 4 stroke the whole outfit takes up 80% of the loadspace of a large estate leaving just voids where we loose pack personal stuff... we can never use hard cases.

I find it is better to pack the SIB and OB in the load/boot area first then after the remaining space is filled use the roofbox for clothes and personal possessions plus lifejackets and waterproofs etc. Keeps the roofbox weight down and the car C of G is better.

We often travel the empty fuel tanks/cans in the roofbox.

I would get an OB as I think it will increase both range and fun. Either a new 4-stroke 4hp or perhaps a 9.8hp Tohatsu 2-stroke.

Compared to some others I find the air floor Zodiac Fastrollers pack down into a very small package and are about as light as you will get in a brand of worthwhile quality.
Old 16 July 2017, 17:34   #7
MCL

Fenlander: just as well I didn't get an aerotec then, I wouldn't of been able to lift it at all! :-p
Old 16 July 2017, 17:58   #8

I find the Aerotec packed is OK for one as long as you just move from floor to car etc. For any longer distance I use a sack trolley at home. Out and about I make sure it can be set up right next to the car so it's just a case of pulling it out from loadspace to the floor.
Old 17 July 2017, 07:34   #9

I'm looking around at boats which pack small yet carry 3-4 people and I've come across the Intex Mariner 4. It can be adapted to take a motor up to 3hp and has a decent floor for a boat in this class.
I'm thinking of getting a honda 2hp four stroke as is around 13kg and easier to work with than two strokes.
Old 17 July 2017, 07:45   #10
MCL

I had one of those honda 2hps. Great little light weight engines. No Impeller to worry about as air cooled.
Old 17 July 2017, 08:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCL View Post
I had one of those honda 2hps. Great little light weight engines. No Impeller to worry about as air cooled.
How is it when being transported? Does it leak oil everywhere?
Old 17 July 2017, 08:10   #12
MCL

You can only transport it on one side as with most 4 stroke outboards. It doesn't leak oil. However ad with all outboards they are never clean with grease points, fuel smell etc so would be worth covering it over if you have a nice car. I never bothered but would always drain the fuel out of the fuel tank and carb to reduce odour which seamed to help.
Old 17 July 2017, 09:00   #13

That Intex Mariner 4 is crossing over onto beach toy not SIBs as we know them on the forum.

I watched one last year in Carsaig Bay 4 up with a small OB on the added bracket. Even a tiny OB twisted the tubes out of shape near the bracket and the whole thing bowed and twisted as folks moved about in it.

If you want to stay safe just offshore then a small air floor Zodiac or similar is the way to go and will not take up a significant amount more space than that Intex.

Re small OBs I'd keep to a water cooled personally as those air cooled models are noisy for their size.
Old 17 July 2017, 09:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
That Intex Mariner 4 is crossing over onto beach toy not SIBs as we know them on the forum.

I watched one last year in Carsaig Bay 4 up with a small OB on the added bracket. Even a tiny OB twisted the tubes out of shape near the bracket and the whole thing bowed and twisted as folks moved about in it.

If you want to stay safe just offshore then a small air floor Zodiac or similar is the way to go and will not take up a significant amount more space than that Intex.

Re small OBs I'd keep to a water cooled personally as those air cooled models are noisy for their size.
Point taken about the beach toy vs sib. As I said, I'm very much new to all this. Trying to gather wisdom from you kind folks

So a zodiac or similar (2.3-2.7) should pack down just as small as the Intex but be a lot more rigid over the waves?

my budget is low at £400 for boat and ob
Old 17 July 2017, 12:10   #15

Whats the verdict on VIAMARE 250T?
Old 17 July 2017, 14:01   #16

>>>So a zodiac or similar (2.3-2.7) should pack down just as small as the Intex but be a lot more rigid over the waves?

Yes absolutely.

Viamare 250T almost unknown on here.
Old 18 July 2017, 07:20   #17

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Well, my Zodiac 285s is not that big when rolled up and not that heavy either. The floor sections are separate but it easily fits in the back of my Land Rover (together with the Tohatsu 9.8hp and all the other bits and pieces)
l can easily lift it into the vehicle which has a boot floor at waist height. The engine is a bit of a weight to lift up, but l can do it.
A large estate car should have all the room that you need.
Old 19 July 2017, 09:26   #18

Found a good deal on a Seago 290 with inflatable keel and airdeck together with a Honda 2hp four stroke. Packs down quite small and should all fit in my roofbox, even the motor.

Thank you all for your words of wisdom, I'll let you know how I get on in Greece.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2520.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	120834  
Old 19 July 2017, 13:11   #19
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Hired a boat in Corfu in June

Hire was 60 - 100 euros a day depending on what you wanted with a discount for 3 or more days. + Fuel
We had a 30 4ST Suzuki chugging around exploring about cost us 10 euros in fuel

When I asked the questions
All beaches and jetties are public, top tip if you moor to a bars jetty buy a drink at least
30 hp or less no licence etc

Is it worth taking your own?

Jim
Old 19 July 2017, 13:46   #20
MCL

The only thing that put me off hire in the past is €200 refundable deposit. Fair enough if you do damage the boat but I was worried about how easy it would be to get it back in the event if a disagreement....

Tags
sib