Old 08 July 2014, 00:56   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amukinado View Post

Well, either you're a police officer or it happened to you.

So you're saying I shouldn't transport my sib on the roof top at all or that I should consider another setup?
I won't answer the first part of you reply.......... Lol!!!!
All I'm saying is don't transport it as you depicted it - definetly turn it upside down!
Slide it as far back on the roof as possible to avoid the upward lift generated at speed from your windscreen.
Be mindful of your max permissible transportation weight rating for your Renault's Meganes roof.
Short distance at slow speed you will be fine.
I wouldn't risk a 100 mile motorway run tho.
Happy subbing!
Old 08 July 2014, 01:11   #22

Town: Lisbon
Make: Suzumar
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
I won't answer the first part of you reply.......... Lol!!!!
All I'm saying is don't transport it as you depicted it - definetly turn it upside down!
Slide it as far back on the roof as possible to avoid the upward lift generated at speed from your windscreen.
Be mindful of your max permissible transportation weight rating for your Renault's Meganes roof.
Short distance at slow speed you will be fine.
I wouldn't risk a 100 mile motorway run tho.
Happy subbing!
Oh, yes. I will turn it upside down. I can only slide it back about 50 cm more. That's the legal limit in here.
I will only carry it this way to go to the beach, which is about 6 or 7 km away (yes, km... deal with it!). Long runs I'll fold the boat.

My racks can carry 80 kg. I assume this means 80 kg of weight plus the object's drag.
Old 08 July 2014, 01:22   #23

Quote:

Oh, yes. I will turn it upside down. I can only slide it back about 50 cm more. That's the legal limit in here.
I will only carry it this way to go to the beach, which is about 6 or 7 km away (yes, km... deal with it!). Long runs I'll fold the boat.

My racks can carry 80 kg. I assume this means 80 kg of weight plus the object's drag.
You SHOULD be fine going that distance so long as you don't meet an over zealous traffic cop who is building up his CV.
Be safe and enjoy you Sibbing.
Old 08 July 2014, 07:40   #24

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Turn it upside down. Better airflow.

I agree.
Old 08 July 2014, 08:31   #25

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
I agree with the comments so far, just don't go too fast and don't forget it's there.

The force from the wind increase exponentially so only a small increase in speed will make a huge increase in wind resistance.

Keep off the motorways and you should be okay.
Old 08 July 2014, 08:43   #26

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Always carried mine on the roof - as per post on page 1 of this topic, it is a Land Rover so more suited to this sort of thing.

The boat must go upside down and it fits the roof like a glove, one tie strap to front ring/bumper, one to rear towing rings/town hitch and one over the top through front bridle and round vehicle and one over rear of boat and rear of car.
Old 08 July 2014, 10:11   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Always carried mine on the roof - as per post on page 1 of this topic, it is a Land Rover so more suited to this sort of thing.

The boat must go upside down and it fits the roof like a glove, one tie strap to front ring/bumper, one to rear towing rings/town hitch and one over the top through front bridle and round vehicle and one over rear of boat and rear of car.
Off-roaders are the best. I really can't stress enough how much I want one! A Samurai Pick-Up would be enough for me, but a Defender is always a Defender... The thing is, phew cars can beat the mileage of my Megane. On long trips I can average 3,4 L/100 (78 MPG).

Do you think it's more important to strap the boat to the front or the rear towing ring? I can only use one at a time (unless I buy another).
Old 08 July 2014, 10:36   #28

Errr...you need to buy another strap (or more)...

You need one to pull the front forwards, one to pull the rear backwards and a couple over the top to hold the boat down too.
Old 08 July 2014, 10:42   #29

I have the straps. I just have one towing ring.

My idea was:
-2 straps on the middle, over the top of the boat to hold it down.
-1 strap from the front rings to the front towing ring.
-1 strap from the front rings to the rack to prevent the boat from going forward.
Old 08 July 2014, 10:48   #30

As above but tie the last strap from the transom of your Suzumar (tow rings or transom wheels bracket or engine bracket plate ring) to the rear of your car's towing ring or subframe etc.
Old 08 July 2014, 10:53   #31

Quote:
As above but tie the last strap from the transom of your Suzumar (tow rings or transom wheels bracket or engine bracket plate ring) to the rear of your car's towing ring or subframe etc.
My car only has one towing ring that can be used either on the front or the back. I'll have to find a different solution or buy another towing ring.
Old 08 July 2014, 11:46   #32

There should be something under the rear body (rear suspension sub frame etc) you can lead the strap down to over the rear bodywork?
Old 08 July 2014, 12:02   #33

Town: Widnes
Boat name: FROG
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Outboard 6hp
Another thought that could add to problems having the boat in a "Bottom" down situation could be inconsiderate people flicking cigarettes out of car windows! One could easily end up in the boat unless you have a cover of course, but if it's only a short trip why put the cover on? So beware of it happening accidentally but also if you stop at traffic lights or it's outside your house for an hour or so some morons might do it on purpose! (
Old 08 July 2014, 13:02   #34

Quote:
There should be something under the rear body (rear suspension sub frame etc) you can lead the strap down to over the rear bodywork?
I'll have to check that but my car has lots of protections underneath. It's hard to reach the chassis. Maybe it's better if I can get another towing ring for cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apshutt View Post
Another thought that could add to problems having the boat in a "Bottom" down situation could be inconsiderate people flicking cigarettes out of car windows! One could easily end up in the boat unless you have a cover of course, but if it's only a short trip why put the cover on? So beware of it happening accidentally but also if you stop at traffic lights or it's outside your house for an hour or so some morons might do it on purpose! (
In here that's only a problem when you're close to schools and at night when people get drunk. But we never know.
I'm a bit more worried with the seagulls.
Old 08 July 2014, 13:10   #35

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Overhang above screen, disagree. Ladders, wind surfs etc ????

Re the roof rack capacity, that's not a road issue, it's a guide for use and recourse to supplier on breakage. if it's secure and safe, go for it.

I strapped my 2.5m RIB on the roof from Hamble to Cheshire at 70mph, strapped down safe and sound, no problem.
Old 08 July 2014, 14:40   #36

Town: South Coast
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: outboard
Check out some canoe/ kayak sites. UK permissible overhang is 60% of the distance from centre of the front axle to the end of the vehicle. I believe if it overhangs the rear with by excess of 100cm you need a light / reflector on it. Think I need to trade in my Ford KA!
Old 08 July 2014, 14:46   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstreaker View Post
Check out some canoe/ kayak sites. UK permissible overhang is 60% of the distance from centre of the front axle to the end of the vehicle. I believe if it overhangs the rear with by excess of 100cm you need a light / reflector on it. Think I need to trade in my Ford KA!
I have been checking lots of boat and kayak racks and I've taken some ideas into consideration.

BTW, I'm not based in the uk.
Old 08 July 2014, 15:08   #38

Town: Widnes
Boat name: FROG
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Outboard 6hp
Quote:
I'll have to check that but my car has lots of protections underneath. It's hard to reach the chassis. Maybe it's better if I can get another towing ring for cheap.

In here that's only a problem when you're close to schools and at night when people get drunk. But we never know.
I'm a bit more worried with the seagulls.
Well I ask you? Pwffft! Who would put a smelly, leaky, old 2 stroke on the roof anyway. Having said that I have heard that they make great anchors!!
Old 08 July 2014, 15:10   #39

Town: South Coast
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: outboard
Don't know what Police are like in Portugal, but off to Albufiera in a couple of days time, hope to hire out a kayak and explore some of those sea caves.
Old 08 July 2014, 15:12   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by apshutt View Post
Well I ask you? Pwffft! Who would put a smelly, leaky, old 2 stroke on the roof anyway. Having said that I have heard that they make great anchors!!
Omg, do you want to start a war?? Hehe...

Engine goes in the trunk.