Old 03 February 2014, 10:26   #21

Town: St Ives
Boat name: Jessy
Make: Seago
Length: under 3m
Engine: honda 2.3
And the local river isnt designed for planeing either, and thats where 90%of the boats time will be spent. I hope to take it to devon and cornwall for a couple of holidays this year, on either salcomb, dart, or the tamar, so when i find out what its likely speed is i will get a bit more specific advice about conditions etc. Thanks for advice.
Old 03 February 2014, 18:47   #22

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi jep49, i have a very similar setup... Mine is a seago 2.7 slat floor...looks similar but yours is slighly wider flat front than mine..so suspect yours is probably a waveline or something like that.

Dont worry about the slat floor..its fine..the boat is too small to stand up in..regardless the kind of floor it has. Also mine is around fifteen years old..and has no flappy bits on it yet..or glue or welded seams falling apart..and it has surprised me just how robust the bottom is ..i have hauled it across some rough beaches in its day..with only scratches on the bottom fabric.

It doesn,t plane with my 3.3hp mariner although it is fast displacement speed.

With my suzi 2.5 four stroke..probably around four knots. I use it in sea lochs and also the coast..as long as there are not strong tides in the area

Its great in calm waters..but as soon as the white caps start to appear..you will want to head for shore..it get kind of wet sitting in it..and if running with the waves..it likes to push its nose under them

I have a lot of fun with mine as its so small and light. I keep it in the back of my car in the summer and use it whenever the fancy takes me. I sure you will enjoys yours too..just be aware of its limitations
Old 03 February 2014, 19:50   #23

Town: St Ives
Boat name: Jessy
Make: Seago
Length: under 3m
Engine: honda 2.3
Hi Gurnard,
I have identified my boat as a Seago tsr270. For some reason it hasnt got a badge. But it seems to come from the same retailer that sold the previous owner the honda engine, so pretty conclusive i reckon. It will be just fine on the river here. I suppose 4 knots is ok on estuaries and sea lochs as long as a bit of forethought and care is taken with the tides. I was up your way last year with the grandson , doing a bit of fishing, and the boat would have been handy then. Maybe we will come up again with it sometime when we have used it a bit more. Mind you , it was bloody wet up there when we were there. Came home from the camping with our tails between our legs.