Old 11 June 2010, 13:09   #1

Town: Warrington
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohsatsu 15hp 4s
SIB launching dolly

I've got a 12' air deck SIB with inflatable V (58kg) at the moment which I use with a 15hp 4s Tohatsu (52kg) when camping for a bit of fun and fishing with the kids. I've already got the launching wheels fitted which are ideal when my mate comes with us at the launch as the tent is a fair way from the beach and difficult to lift/pull over the stony ground.

I'm looking for something that I can use to pull the boat with the car (not a road trailer per say as it will only be used from our tent to the beach/slipway on the site. I had originally thought of using something on the towball to hook onto the bow ring and pull it using the launching wheels I already have but I've since looked at a few trailers.

I'd appreciate your advice on whether any of these are suitable (bearing in mind that they will only be used over a short distance)

Pic 1 - Extreme EXT400
Pic 2 - SBS Dinghy trailer
Pic 3 - Trailex Launching trolley
Pic 4 - Indespension Dinghy trolley

I understand that the EXT400 would give me the best support on the tubes, but its a full road trailer and I couldn't pull it along with my caping trailer unless I could dismantle it. The 3rd pic looks the part (I think) but EXTREMELY expensive. And the 4th pic would be ideal as it is easily dismantled and could be strapped to the top of my trailer if I could get a section of drawbar and bolt it to the frame to fit a hitch coupling...but would it support the boat and engine enough?

Any help/advice appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EXT400bunkpic.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	51824   Click image for larger version

Name:	SPORTSMAN 2.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	51825   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailex 10-407.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	51826   Click image for larger version

Name:	indespension 1400.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	51827  
Old 11 June 2010, 17:42   #2

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
I've got a 12' air deck SIB with inflatable V (58kg) at the moment which I use with a 15hp 4s Tohatsu (52kg) when camping for a bit of fun and fishing with the kids. I've already got the launching wheels fitted which are ideal when my mate comes with us at the launch as the tent is a fair way from the beach and difficult to lift/pull over the stony ground.

I'm looking for something that I can use to pull the boat with the car (not a road trailer per say as it will only be used from our tent to the beach/slipway on the site. I had originally thought of using something on the towball to hook onto the bow ring and pull it using the launching wheels I already have but I've since looked at a few trailers.

I'd appreciate your advice on whether any of these are suitable (bearing in mind that they will only be used over a short distance)

Pic 1 - Extreme EXT400
Pic 2 - SBS Dinghy trailer
Pic 3 - Trailex Launching trolley
Pic 4 - Indespension Dinghy trolley

I understand that the EXT400 would give me the best support on the tubes, but its a full road trailer and I couldn't pull it along with my caping trailer unless I could dismantle it. The 3rd pic looks the part (I think) but EXTREMELY expensive. And the 4th pic would be ideal as it is easily dismantled and could be strapped to the top of my trailer if I could get a section of drawbar and bolt it to the frame to fit a hitch coupling...but would it support the boat and engine enough?

Any help/advice appreciated.
Last time i took my 2.7 sib out i used a trailor like the one in pic number 4,by christ was it heavy to push or pull the boat along.with enginge OFF,i got no chance with my 4m and alloy floor one,or is there a knack,,,,,like getting ARNOLD SWARZNAGGER,LOL
Old 12 June 2010, 20:39   #3

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
The best trailer support for a SIB is along the length of each tube, and if towing with an outboard fitted supported in the centre of the transom.

As you are only towing very short distances and presumably at very low speeds, you may be ok with a trolley like number 4, as long as the transom is fully supported. Rough ground and the lack of suspension will put more load on the boat though.

You could get a trolley like number 4 and modify it with a couple of planks / strips of ply to better support the tubes. Alternatively, what sort of camping trailer do you have? I made up a frame to carry my SIB on top of a box trailer - you need to transport the outboard separately though.

Cheers

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0192.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	51855   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0193.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	51856