Old 28 August 2009, 16:10   #1

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Sib Ladders

All kind of threads and discussions have been treated here, how about you are in the mood to stop in middle of the sea for a nice summer refreshing bath and, 4 lettered word…, you don’t have a ladder, what would be the “best way to get back on board” as opposed to buy/use a regular aluminum, wooden traditionally ladders found in nautical stores ? What are your experiences, self made ladders on this issue ? Post pics if available.

Happy Sibbing
Old 28 August 2009, 16:22   #2

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
All kind of threads and discussions have been treated here, how about you are in the mood to stop in middle of the sea for a nice summer refreshing bath and, 4 lettered word…, you don’t have a ladder, what would be the “best way to get back on board” as opposed to buy/use a regular aluminum, wooden traditionally ladders found in nautical stores ? What are your experiences, self made ladders on this issue ? Post pics if available.

Happy Sibbing
mmmmm can t visulise that a ladder for a sib? best bet is to ask the divers how they get back in the sibs?
Old 28 August 2009, 17:14   #3

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
We just "swim" over the tube using the grab ropes and a bit of kicking.
Old 28 August 2009, 18:34   #4

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
it has been covered on rib net loads of times in the past ,,but even a rope from bow to stern can give u some thing to get a foot on before it swings under the boat ,,alot of divers even rescue crew use the outboard leg cav plate if its a big enough engine to get a foothold , a lot depends though how fit you are and how you are dressed , if its in the tropics and your in a pair of shorts probley not much effort but if in a heavy or stiff neopreane drysuit / floatation suit or heavy oilskins or clothing / or even with a large lifejacket on it can be hell of a job if you are by yourself,,,we used a scaffolding pole with a few short rungs out from the side then we secured the top part with a line to the opposite side of the boat so it would not swing under the hull when standing on it and that could be used with heavy full face commercial diving equipment ,,,, a lifeline rigged on the opposite tube helps a great deal too ,as most people can get up about as far as waist level then drop back in again because there was nothing to get a hand pull on..,, as an extream last resort you could perhaps deflate a tube a little and crawl /slide on board , mart
Old 28 August 2009, 19:08   #5

Boat name: Pisces
Make: Zodiac
Just use the outboard cavitation plate.

If you have doel fins fitted, you're laughing.

https://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2009, 12:44   #6

until they snap off ,,with some outboards the cav plates are very thin and when doel fins are fitted it can put a big leaverage on them and it can with some outboards make it easy for them to snap off ,,think you would be ok for occasional use but with a fully kitted diver it could be overload time .
Old 01 September 2009, 15:28   #7

I'll second that, the ones who will be laughing will be the crew when you break the doel fin or anticav plate and cannot climb back as expected, will be usefull to use if you are a skinny chap in water jeopardy. At the present time working on a simple, cheap and very portable solution.

Happy Sibbing
Old 01 September 2009, 15:45   #8

Quote:
I'll second that, the ones who will be laughing will be the crew when you break the doel fin or anticav plate and cannot climb back as expected, will be usefull to use if you are a skinny chap in water jeopardy. At the present time working on a simple, cheap and very portable solution.

Happy Sibbing
something like a hook over transom,made from tubing and a footplate or stirrup would do ,
Old 01 September 2009, 17:06   #9

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
A marine grade stainless steel (folding step) fitted to the transom is an option. I've tried to get into my own boat in a wetsuit, and it's not as easy as you might expect. I know Zodiac sell a collapsible ladder, but it's expensive for what it is. Even a knotted rope lashed onto the sponson will provide enough leverage to haul yourself out. I've tried the anti-cavitation plate on the outboard, so that works too.
Attached Images

Old 01 September 2009, 19:55   #10

Town: Traveling the USA
Boat name: Over Inflated
Make: Achilles
Engine: Yam 2 Stroke 25hp
I use one of these ladders by St Croix. It is expensive but works very well. It can be found here http://www.myboatsgear.com/mbg/product.asp?prodID=1409
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prod_1409_enlarged.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	45401  
Old 02 September 2009, 15:15   #11

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
A marine grade stainless steel (folding step) fitted to the transom is an option.
Seems to me that it would be pretty high.

Quote:
I've tried to get into my own boat in a wetsuit, and it's not as easy as you might expect.
If you have fins on, it's pretty easy: Grab the lifeline with your hands about shoulder width apart. Push yourself underwater slightly, in an upright position. Two or three fin kicks should propel you high enough to either do a handstand on the lifeline (where you can swing a leg over), or flop your torso over the tube.

Rope ladders are largely useless; they swing under the boat with any weight on them.

A buddy uses a 3-rung aluminum framed ladder, set against the tube so it stays outward. Doesn't really seem ideal to me, but they do OK with it.

Mine is a custom fishbone ladder mounted on the swimstep.

jky
Old 02 September 2009, 18:26   #12

jky, can you post a pic to see ?
Old 02 September 2009, 23:24   #13

Boat name: Pisces
Make: Zodiac
So we've gone from a SIBber going for a refreshing dip in the sea, to a fully kitted out diver.

How about a hydraulic engine lift bolted to the transom with one of those sex slings dangling from it???

Forums, don't you just love em.

https://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 September 2009, 08:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbyte View Post
So we've gone from a SIBber going for a refreshing dip in the sea, to a fully kitted out diver.

How about a hydraulic engine lift bolted to the transom with one of those sex slings dangling from it???

Forums, don't you just love em.
telescopic HI -AB crane would be even better lol ,,only problems with forums is that some people with not much experience may get an idea ,and not always seeing the implications , may try some thing only for it to go tits up so best we try to cover all aspects ,,its only food for thought at the end of the day,,,,,, the used pair of doel fins that i bought came of a speedboat with a cracked cav plate coz the previous owner had used one side as a step for doughnutting ,
Old 03 September 2009, 15:22   #15

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
jky, can you post a pic to see ?
Ummm, of which?

My friends ladder? Don't think I have a pic of that, and won't see them until at least next weekend (this weekend is a US holiday, and the hotels are expensive where I dive.) Theirs is a 3-rung ladder, which has a slight bend near the midpoint (supposed to follow a hull contour, I think.) They use a kludged rope assembly to clip it onto the lifelines, with the outside of the bend against the tubes. The bottom rung ends up a little high, but they're both little short muchkin people, and it works for them.

Mine is shown in the pic below. (Sorry about the image size, if that's a problem. Wanted to get it at least visible.) It's made of 1" Aluminum square tube, with a 3/4" reinforcing bar hammered into the upper section (well, the bottom center section in the pic.) The mount is a plate with a couple of dog-ears welded on, and a hole drilled into those. The ladder mounts using a trailer receiver pin.

jky
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-1-08 Topside pics 113sm.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	45456  
Old 03 September 2009, 15:29   #16

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I use one of these clipped to life lines ;

http://www.marine-super-store.com/po...edpartno=29008

It does swing under the boat abit , but I can easily move it from boat to boat & it takes up no room at all.

There is a technique to stopping it swinging under , but a line rigged to the other tube is a huge huge help.
Old 08 September 2009, 14:00   #17

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I have the smaller one of these & it works just fine!
http://www.compass24.com/web/catalog...adders/1729942