Old 21 September 2017, 20:49   #1

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
SIB Insurance

Any recommendations on a U.K SIB insurer, looking for an idea of the price of full and third party cover and do SIB mods rule out insurance of a craft?

Thanks.

1st Boat is: Excel SD90 it's used with both a 20hp and the max ratted (10hp) the boat is heavily modded including transom strengthening bolts, fishing rod holders etc.

2nd boat is Waveline 2.7 v hull used with both a 15hp or its max rated outboard, (6/8hp) full standard spec no mods to the boat at all.

Do any boat mods rule out insurnce cover? I guess over ratted outboard Hp use does automatically.
Old 22 September 2017, 17:10   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I doubt any insurer`will pay out for a claim for a substantially overpowered boat but if your working within the boats rating then we use craftinsure.com who have been great over the years
All done online although you can ring and speak to a real British person if required
Old 23 September 2017, 06:33   #3

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I worked in insurance claims for 35 years, 10 years in a fraud team. The only place to seek advice about what does or doesn't affect your cover is the actual insurer concerned. If you ask on the internet, even the best intentioned people will tell you what they think or understand rather than what they know for a fact.

If you do not make full and accurate disclosure of relevant facts to your insurer, in the worst analysis, this may be treated as fraud, even if a later claim is submitted in good faith. If your insurers find out later, they may make your policy void. This is worse than cancelling it. It means that the policy is deemed never to have existed, and no claim can be considered. You would then be required to disclose to any future insurer that you had had a policy made void. This in turn would make it difficult or impossible to get insurance - and may also affect your ability to get motor and household insurance.

Get proper professional advice.
Old 26 October 2017, 20:03   #4

Town: Langbank, Renfrewshire
Boat name: -
Make: Avon Adventure 450
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60hp Mariner
Agree with Mikefule. However just for an idea of price I'm paying £50 pa for a 3.8m SIB with a 20hp outboard.
Old 27 October 2017, 20:40   #5

Town: UK
Boat name: Awesome !!!
Make: F-RIB 375(S)
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9 / 15 & 20HP
I insure with craftinsure, I have a 20hp on my f-rib which would take it over the permitted speed the insurance stated. I gave the chap at craft insure a quick call, explained the situation to him and advised the top speed expected (outboard was new so hadn't been run in).

The outboard was within the power rating for the frib so he accepted it no problem, He made a note on his system and my policy documents and increased the premium very slightly.

I can't say if they'll accept your scenario, but a quick call is all it takes.. Belts n Braces as they say...

Tags
sib