Old 07 June 2011, 18:40   #1

Town: ...on the Thames
Make: Quicksilver 340
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15hp
SIB-ing in Salcombe

Hello everybody! (new member alert)

I will be SIB-ing in Salcombe next week and this will be the first launch in salt water, normally we stick to the thames but have decided to venture a bit farther out!

We've been to Salcombe a few times so know the estuary a bit... but have been in hire boats previously, restricted as to where you can go. This time we'll have a bit more freedom.

We'll be on a Quicksilver 340 airdeck with a 15hp 2 stroke Mariner - looking forward to having a pootle around too

any recommendations... places to look out for or avoid?
What lurks beyond the Wolf rock... will our set-up cope!?
any tips for a marine first-timer?

cheers all
Old 07 June 2011, 19:10   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
when the tides in... head up the estuary to South Pool, you can get right to the top of the creek there, time it with pub opening hours, the pub in the village has great food and the ciders not bad !
Old 08 June 2011, 06:51   #3

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
The Millbrook at South Pool is a great pub - the Crabshell in Kingsbridge is one of several places up there to go to and Frogmore is another nice side trip. North Sands has "The Winking Prawn" which is highly recommended although the tide goes out a long way and the South Sands hotel is a nice bit of posh if you want to push the boat out.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2011, 07:55   #4

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Mariner 75
We have toured around the estuary in a 3m and 4.2m SIB and much depends upon the wind and weather! If windy, then the estuary towards Kingsbridge is much calmer.
- The Millbrook Inn at Southpool as previously mentioned - you usually have a couple of hours either side of high tide (if you depart Whitestrand 2 hours 20 mins before high tide, you can arrive before the hordes - the bar can get very busy). This is good in the evenings too !

If it's fairly calm then, beyond Wolf Rock heading towards the harbour markers and end of speed limit:
- Starehole Bay to the right (waterskiers, divers and a submerged wreck)
- To the left a few beaches near Gara rock (which can have big surf, so you may have to anchor 50m off the beach and swim in)
- If it's very flat water (I've only seen this at 7:00am), then you can get round to Hope Cove or Thurlestone beach, but watch the weather !

Tide times and weather forecast are on the noticeboard by the Harbour Masters office in Whitestrand. You can usually get a week's overnight mooring on the remote pontoon at Whitestrand (and a free lift there/back with one of the harbour launches) - which is in a dredged channel and so saves pulling your SIB around in the mud at low tide from the back of Whitestrand pontoon.

I would suggest taking:
- A local chart
- A weeks free printout of the tides from Easytide
- An anchor with chain and then 20m of rope
- A spare fuel can (full) - I've managed to run out of fuel with every new SIB at some point in Salcombe and then usually end up rowing against the tide to get back ...
Old 08 June 2011, 16:09   #5

Town: South West
I live in Kingsbridge, well my parents do. Will be down there next week so might see you about in my Zodiac or our Seahog fishing boat.

May see you outside the Crabshell as it's our local!

Easiest place to launch any boat in the Estuary is at Batson which is just around from Whitestrands, there is a very nice slipway there and boats can be launched at any tide.

Your set up should be fine, I have been from Kingsbridge all the way round to Hope cove in Bigbury bay in our old 3.6m Suzumar with a 15hp Suzuki 4 stroke.
Old 08 June 2011, 17:25   #6

Town: ...on the Thames
Make: Quicksilver 340
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15hp
Great posts, thanks for all the very good info! (especially as a lot of it is pub related... see you in the Crabshell )

I was planning to launch just the once from the slipway near the main car park (is that Batson or is Batson round by the RNLI station?) and then moor on the whitestrand pontoon - not checked in with them yet though, I'll call them tomorrow as I suspect it will be busy next week.

I'll arm myself with charts and tide times and plenty of fuel!! (already ran out once and rowed the whole rig about two miles - not as much fun and everso slightly embarassing )
Old 08 June 2011, 17:39   #7

Yeh that is Batson, next to the big long stay car park in Salcombe.

At the salcombe end of the estuary you shouldn't have to worry too much about the depth, although a glance over the charts is always helpful. There are some very nice beaches along the estuary, some can only be accessed by boat.

It always busy around there this time of year, so if you do get into any trouble then there is bound to be someone nearby to offer some help.
Old 08 June 2011, 20:46   #8

Town: Truro
Make: Avon
Engine: 50
I am (was) thinking about launching there sometime this week from Batson car park until I saw the charges - have I got it right 4m with 50hp = £40 odd ?!?!?! Just for the day?

I hope I have that wrong. Car parking on top of that + fuel etc would see cost of around £100 for 4/5 hours!
Old 08 June 2011, 21:39   #9

I didn't know there were any charges down there, I know the boat needs to be registered with the harbour office you use the estuary. I thought the only charges at Batson were to park a trailer up. I could be wrong, haven't been down there since last summer.
Old 09 June 2011, 06:24   #10

Well I was on the south hams salcombe harbour website and there is detailed pricing info. It looks bloo*y exspensive just to use a slip!

I just hope ive got it wrong.......
Old 09 June 2011, 07:23   #11

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyseadog View Post
then moor on the whitestrand pontoon - not checked in with them yet though, I'll call them tomorrow as I suspect it will be busy next week.
Whitestrand pontoon dries out and can get very crowded - look out for other boats props rubbing on your pride and joy.

I'm afraid there are charges - the hut at Batson will take your money and the website has all of the details.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2011, 08:13   #12

OK just phoned the harbour reception - very helpful indeed.

She informed me that the website prices were very confusing and the £40 odd charge is annual and daily rate is £6 odd.

Im going down Friday all day now. Had to admit £40 odd sounded V expensive!
Old 09 June 2011, 11:32   #13

Another option is if the tides are right you can launch the boat in the morning at Kingsbridge, be out on the water all day and take to boat out at Kingsbridge again in the evening.

You do need the tides to be right, if they arn't you only get about 2 hours either side of high tide to use the slipway in Kingsbridge.
Old 09 June 2011, 21:22   #14
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
We pulled into there on a Sunseeker when heading from Poole to Ireland last year. It was a bit un-planned, but woah, what a night! When we landed on the pontoon we met 2 familes out on a RIB who have a holiday home there. We had a chat and headed for the bar. About a zillion hours later we fell out of the bar and ran into one of the familes when attempting to make it back to the boat. They invited us in, and before we knew it, the sun was creeping up!

Great place, wish we could have stayed longer