Old 20 June 2013, 11:22   #41

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGANDER View Post
So can I ask all who are criticizing the OP if they ever made a passage/trip and afterwards regretted it or won't do it again?

There is a lot to be said for learning from experience...

SDG.
That's a fine question.
You will only get answers from survivors - and only who still mess with sibs.

In Spain a boat like mine (4 meters sib 20hp) cannot go further than 5 miles from shelter (beach, harbour, whatever) , provided you have the proper skipping license, VHF license and VHF radio (I do); Also, with a 4 meters sib you are not allowed tor skip beyond 4 Beaufort.

With a more restricted license (sports license), the distance is 4 miles from your usual mooring point/harbour, with a VHF radio. In case you do not have a VHF radio, distance is even more limited, just 2 miles.

Near coast skipping usually do not involve such conditions and distances. In the best conditions I can skip 5+5 miles. I believe I have plenty of adventure with that, without risking my life and others.
Old 20 June 2013, 14:43   #42

Town: Pooler, Georgia
Boat name: not applicable
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
I believe the posters attempted to caution the OP that he is trying to wring more out of his small craft than is wise. His desire to make more speed under rough conditions was questionable and could be viewed as someone not too familiar with small boats in a sea.

If you play around in the sea, you will sooner or later encounter conditions which are not good. Cautioning someone who may not be familiar with just how fast changes can occur or how bad the seas can become is just that, cautioning them. No one would want to sit back and wait for the poster to get in real trouble, as most care for others with like interests.

The OP has not added to the discussion, but hopefully he has seen enough information to be helpful to him.
Old 20 June 2013, 15:22   #43

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Where did you find it out of interest? Difficult (ie expensive!) book to get hold of now.
I just searched in Amazon. There were various copies in the UK but also a "very good condition" used copy in Delaware (I'm in Seattle area, Washington State). Since it was only going to be domestic shipping and $28 US, I bought it.
Old 20 June 2013, 15:23   #44

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
The OP's main regret appears to be that he couldn't go faster! I think that's what attracted the ire.
Indeed!