Old 02 January 2018, 17:14   #1

Town: Tenby
Boat name: NA
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8HP
SIB. General advices and recommendations.

Good evening

I’m a new user to the forum with a few questions!

I’m currently in the process of purchasing an Excel 335 Vanguard and 9.8HP Outboard. I will primarily be using the SIB for fishing and a bit of leisurely bay hopping in and around the South Pembrokeshire coast. All trips will be close to shore and would be by myself and/or 1 or 2 family members.

Before I get the boat wet, safety is obviously the most important thing for me. I’ve read numerous posts stating essential equipment to purchase such as life jackets, VHF radio, flares and an anchor to name a few.

Could someone recommend a few items of equipment to get. makes/brands? What is absolutely essential to start off with?
I see that the RYA do SRC radio courses. Is this a mandatory requirement?
If someone could point me in the right direction to start in terms of equipment/courses/general recommendations it would be most appreciated.

Mike
Old 02 January 2018, 17:27   #2
MCL

Town: Stamford
My top 5 would be:

1, life jackets
2, suitable clothing
3, VHF
4, enough fuel / basic spares (killcord)
5, mobile

I would get any bouyancy that fitted correctly with enough flotation and CE logo.

Lots of makes of marine clothing. If you are a keen fisherman and on a tight budget guy gotten is what alot of commercial fisherman use.

VHF I would get a basic waterproof set that floats which can be recharged. You should get a VHF licence so you know how to use it. It would be illegal to use it without unless it was an emergency broadcast.
Old 02 January 2018, 18:14   #3

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Guy Cotten waterproof stuff is very good, tough & robust - I use it myself & it's very popular with commercial fishermen.
Stormline is very similar.
If you want cheap (for occasional use by guests etc) then the sort of pvc suits sold by Screwfix etc will keep the water off & do much the same job - but won't stand up to abuse.

What boating experience do you presently have?
If you have no previous boating experience I'd suggest doing RYA Powerboat Level 2.
Level 2 Powerboat Handling | Powerboat | Courses | Learning | Courses & Training | RYA

Must haves:
Life jackets. Ideally self inflating. The wearer may be go into the water unexpectedly/unconscious & it will inflate & turn you right way up to breathe.
You don't need to spend the earth but bear in mind they need to fit & be appropriate for the size/weight of the wearer.

Anchor, correctly set up with chain & rope.

Kill cord. Don't leave home without one! And DO always use it.

A means of attracting attention should you need help.
Hand held radios are cheap & reliable. Do the RYA course so you will A)Know how to use it properly and B) be licenced.
I also carry pyro flares.
Mobiles may/may not work depending on signal coverage.

I carry a 5 litre can of spare fuel.
Old 02 January 2018, 18:26   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Welcome to the forum and the world of sibbing Mike. Funnily enough we are investigating broadly your area for potential sibbing holiday destinations, Mrs F is staying on the front at Tenby in March to get a feel for the area.

Are you totally new to smallcraft boating and /or sibbing? Is your OB the classic Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke?

A good place to start for kit in addition to above advice is this thread... http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/what-ki...b-42712-3.html

Just one point on flares. It's a personal thing but many of us sibbers are forgetting traditional pyrotechnic flares in favour of alternatives means of attracting attention in the day and an electronic "laser" flare in case of being caught out into failing light conditions.

Agree a basic (but good brand) floating VHF is a good start when the budget is being spent in all directions if you are kitting out from scratch.

Lifejackets again are a personal choice. Some folks are confident of their swimming ability and use a 50N foam type such as you might on canoe or sailing boat. Others like the foam 100N type giving more support. Then there are the auto inflating 150N types. My 20yr old daughters prefer 100N foam types, I have a 70N canoe type (which in my size is rated 79N) and Mrs F a 150N auto. See my thread when considering what to have... http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/100n-li...pfd-75045.html

When you've been out a short report and images are always good to see.

David
Old 02 January 2018, 19:54   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome to the forum.

If you have zero experience, then there's a lot you can do on dry land so you know your way around the boat and engine. A standard issue recycling bin is perfect for getting the engine mounted, and run in so you get used to checking the tell-tale cooling stream, choke, fuelling, etc. Killcord will be second nature too. Tube pressure should be rechecked on the water.

Clothes, then don't skimp on decent kit. Waterproof separates including trousers with adjustable braces and jackets keep you warm. Invariably there's always wind and showers in UK waters even during summer months. XM, Musto, Helly Hansen, take your pick. Pair them with wellies and waterproof gloves. Don't forget sun cream. There's plenty times I've come back to shore like Peter O'Toole like Lawrence of Arabia!

Life jackets for everyone on board. I like auto-jackets with crotch straps. Again, plenty reputable makes. I like Seago around 175 Newton capacity. Remember and check every trip. You can service yourself in 2-3 years with recharge kits.

Safety gear, then sit your VHF course and get used to marine traffic. It's a reassuring piece of kit to have on board. Small anchor, rope and chain, waterproof torch, diver's knife in a scabbard, spare spark plugs, socket to remove and dry rag, spare kill cord and fuel.

Dry bags are useful for everything you want to carry including your lunch. Don't spend a fortune, they last a few seasons before they spring a leak. Lidl have them on offer ever so often.

Lastly, ask locals in the harbour you're launching from. Most folk are decent and it's good to have a natter before you leave.
Old 02 January 2018, 20:12   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
There's plenty times I've come back to shore like Peter O'Toole like Lawrence of Arabia!
Clean? .....classic

Old 02 January 2018, 20:29   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Thinking more like classic windburn!

Tags
sib