Old 21 June 2008, 13:13   #1

Town: manchester
Length: 3m +
SIB for wakeboarding, Skiing and Fishing

Hi All,
Great to find a forum that includes SIBís.
Iím heading off to Spain in 6 weeks for a month and I want to take a boat with me. The site I stay on has a small jetty which is only really suitable for hand launching. So Iíve decided the best approach would be a SIB with transom wheels. I want to use it for wakeboarding/Skiing/Fishing and family trips staying relatively close to shore.
Iím a complete novice when it comes to boats and would appreciate some recommendations on boat/engine packages. My budget is up to £3500 and Iím happy to buy used.

So far Iíve looked at Zodiac Futuraís, Excelís and Quicksilverís

Also, any recommendations on RYA level 2 powerboat courses? Iím based in sunny Manchester!

Cheers

Adam

Old 21 June 2008, 18:19   #2

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
depends on size you need for the size of family . Your budget would get you a new honda or quicksilver and engine up to 4m and 20- 25hp . I don't think a sib that size will tow a wakeboard or skier easily .
Also depends on how you intend to transport it , a 3.8 air and 25hp 2 stroke are about as much as you can carry and fold down etc with ease and it would fill a large estate car
Most bigger sibs end up on a trailer and then you had just as well buy a solid hull boat
have a search in the new sib section there are lots of similar posts to yours and you can see what people eneded up with .

I had a 3.8 honda air floor with a 20hp honda engine new for about 3k that was certainly one of the best lightwieght sibs I have seen ,

Old 22 June 2008, 02:24   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Adam

How important is wakeboarding/skiing? How much space have you got in your vehicle? Could you tow a trailer? How many people do you want to carry?

To ski you're going to want at least 25hp, and a biggish inflatable around 4m. This is going to take up a load of space if you have to pack it somewhere, but would be easy to trailer and could still be launched across the beach using a decent set of transom wheels. Something like a Zodiac Futura with a 40hp would be a lot of fun, but could be a struggle to get across the beach.

If you need something that is light and easy to set up, and packs away reasonably small, then a Quicksilver 340 would fit the bill cheaply. If you can find a 15hp 2-stroke then you've got a great combination for fishing and exploring, but you won't ski behind it. If you have to pack it away after each use then I'd get an airdeck, but if you can leave it inflated for the duration then I'd get a wooden/ali floor for better performance. Alternatively the Bombard 380 Aerotec has had good reviews here, and performs better than most air decks (it's about twice the price of a QS 340 though).

John
Old 22 June 2008, 02:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Adam

How important is wakeboarding/skiing? How much space have you got in your vehicle? Could you tow a trailer? How many people do you want to carry?

To ski you're going to want at least 25hp, and a biggish inflatable around 4m. This is going to take up a load of space if you have to pack it somewhere, but would be easy to trailer and could still be launched across the beach using a decent set of transom wheels. Something like a Zodiac Futura with a 40hp would be a lot of fun, but could be a struggle to get across the beach.

If you need something that is light and easy to set up, and packs away reasonably small, then a Quicksilver 340 would fit the bill cheaply. If you can find a 15hp 2-stroke then you've got a great combination for fishing and exploring, but you won't ski behind it. If you have to pack it away after each use then I'd get an airdeck, but if you can leave it inflated for the duration then I'd get a wooden/ali floor for better performance. Alternatively the Bombard 380 Aerotec has had good reviews here, and performs better than most air decks (it's about twice the price of a QS 340 though).

John
Sorry, should have mentioned in my original post, I plan to leave it permanently inflated and transport it on a trailer. I would perhaps up my budget and go for a RIB, but launching it would be an issue due to the location and jetty size. I've got a pickup truck so towing isn't an issue.
Old 22 June 2008, 03:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Adam

John
Forgot to answer the other questions, wakeboarding/skiing is quite high on the list and I need space for 3-4 adults.

Cheers

Adam
Old 22 June 2008, 03:40   #6
Administrator

How about this:

2001 Zodiac Futura Mk11 Sport 4.2m
40hp Mercury
Snipe trailer
Launching wheels

£3,695

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/SAM125

John
Old 22 June 2008, 04:15   #7

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
if you want to ski, whilst carrying 3-4 persons on board, you need Minimum 50 hp which really takes you to the next level, A rIB, i really dont think you will ski with that weight,
i had a Quicksilver with a shortshaft Tohatsu 40 hp, all new and it would only just get my mate up with two of us in the boat, and that was a ally floor, it was a struggle tho,
Old 22 June 2008, 05:11   #8

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. The Futura looks the ticket and seems to fit the bill, I'll look into it.

When wakeboarding/Skiing it will just be 1 adult in the boat, so this should help.

Also, any opinions on Excel inflatableís, perhaps the XHD430?

Thanks for all the help, it's took 2 years to convince my wife that we need a boat, I want to make sure I buy correctly.

Cheers

Adam
Old 22 June 2008, 06:52   #9

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
have just seen a fully loaded Futura 430 with centre consol and Merc 30,etc etc all looked great, Samspeed Marine in Falfield ,Gloucester, Near Thornbury,
Old 22 June 2008, 08:30   #10
Administrator

That's the one on B&O

John