Old 28 July 2008, 11:12   #1

Town: Melbourne
Boat name: Duck Tales
Make: Avon S400
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Tohatsu
SIB floors

hey guys,

just curious about what other people put down on their sib in regards to flooring. marine carpet? rubber matting or just the standard hard slippery marine ply or ali?

also, the H joiners appear to be knicking the bottom of my sib. would it be okay to put down a thin sheet of rubber matting in an attempt to prevent any more damage?

thank you in advance
Old 28 July 2008, 13:30   #2

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
hey guys,

just curious about what other people put down on their sib in regards to flooring. marine carpet? rubber matting or just the standard hard slippery marine ply or ali?

also, the H joiners appear to be knicking the bottom of my sib. would it be okay to put down a thin sheet of rubber matting in an attempt to prevent any more damage?

thank you in advance
CLIPPER ,CHECK OUT MY THREAD REPLY TO bombard,,,,,,,,,,,rubber anti slip floor
Old 28 July 2008, 14:15   #3

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
hey guys,

thank you in advance
Hola Clipper

File with a very smooth metal sand file all your under H joinners edges including laterall side joinners edges too (where the plastic black caps makes contact with the aluminum) to avoid rubbing/knicking the fabric specially when the sib's tubes are not correctly inflated to their working pressure.

Happy Sibbing
Old 29 July 2008, 14:58   #4

Town: Oakland CA
I covered the entire floor of my Achilles with Dri Deck tiles. It helped keep scuba rigs from bashing the crap out of the aluminum, but was also kind of hard on bare feet (not that I went barefoot in the boat very often.)

Stuff is kind of pricey, as well.

In the new boat, I've got a couple of rubber bar-floor type mats in the areas where people usually stand (they're probably nearly an inch thick, and about 3 feet by 5 feet or so.) Seems to work OK. Might be a bit heavy for a small boat, though.

jky
Old 29 July 2008, 22:20   #5

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 optimax
just coated my ply floor with this http://www.screwfix.com/prods/36010/...0Rubber%202.1L also used it to reinforce a couple of worn patches seems good so far
Old 03 August 2008, 09:14   #6

thanks for the reply guys,

i will have to file down the sharp edges. cheers loco.

i had a look at the dri tiles, they look a little thin for what i had in mind. also, the liquid rubber mark has suggested may be a little too thin.

what to you think of a rubber mat similar to that which you find a gyms, 15-20mm thick, and really springy?

and, if filing the h joiners doesnt eliminate the problem, would a thin rubber mat be appropriate for protecting the bottom?

cheers
Old 03 August 2008, 14:10   #7

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
thanks for the reply guys,

If filing the h joiners doesnt eliminate the problem, would a thin rubber mat be appropriate for protecting the bottom?

cheers
File all countours properly, specially the side that will make contact with the floor. Use a smooth grade metal paper file, take your time, for your peace of mind you could tape good quality duct tape in the lenght/width joinners that comes in contact with the keel/floor, trim borders with appropiate cutter as required, the ony problem, how long will they hold/last with salt water under the floor.

Happy Sibbing
Old 03 August 2008, 16:20   #8

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
I haven't tried it yet, but I'm planning to get a self inflating camping mat, something like one of these:

http://www.gelert.com/categories/Sle...attresses.aspx

Various prices and sizes available from different manufacturers, up to 10cm thick.

I suspect they are not going to be very hard wearing, but they are light and can be packed away easily - we usually wear wetsuit boats or trainers and don't carry any heavy kit so I'm hoping it should last reasonably well - time will tell.

Cheers

Chris
Old 03 August 2008, 21:28   #9

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Engine: 150 optimax
i thought you were looking for some anti-slip stuff, the liquid rubber is ideal for that but it was not quite clear in your post that you were looking for a soft covering, if you want to keep sharp edges from nicking your boat you could always glue climaflex or foam pipe insulation along the edges of the aluminium
Old 10 August 2008, 02:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
but it was not quite clear in your post that you were looking for a soft covering,
sorry i should have been clearer.

i am really looking for a fairly robust rubber matting that will tolerate dive gear, weight belts, fins etc being thrown in and out. also, the deck gets wet from climbing in and out, and is really becoming dangerous when under way in choppy conditions. i need something to create a bit of traction with, and plant my feet withpout them sliding every time a wave passes by.

so if anyone has used something similar i would be very interested in your exoerience.

cheers
Old 27 August 2008, 13:45   #11

Town: Fleet
Boat name: Hudson
Make: Ribeye Sport
Engine: Yamaha 150
Quote:
sorry i should have been clearer.

i am really looking for a fairly robust rubber matting that will tolerate dive gear, weight belts, fins etc being thrown in and out. also, the deck gets wet from climbing in and out, and is really becoming dangerous when under way in choppy conditions. i need something to create a bit of traction with, and plant my feet withpout them sliding every time a wave passes by.

so if anyone has used something similar i would be very interested in your exoerience.

cheers
You might like to try googling 'work station mat' or industrial matting'. See if anything like that meets your needs.