Old 28 August 2014, 22:17   #21

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Depending on the size of the outboard leg it may fit between the forks then use the brake holder with some padding to cradle the motor and the spindle mounting to hold it in (gravity doing most of the work) then either clamp the stem or fit a tube over it and bolt it through to extend it.
Old 28 August 2014, 22:44   #22

Town: Portland, OR
Make: Zodiac F470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF25EL
My motor sits on transom through season. I put at least 2-3000 miles in last two summers on this setup towing all over OR/WA. I don't use transom saver. My trailer is set up with bunks supporting tubes (actually two levels with one under speed tubes one under main) hence any harsh jolts will be dampened by tubes to some degree. My thinking is forces acting on transom would be no different than boat is in the water. Motor is in down position all the time. Of course F470 transom is glued in with huge patches.
Old 28 August 2014, 23:12   #23

SIBRider your probably right that forces placed on transom when towing not much different than when boat is in water. It's just that the water sort of cushions the whole process unlike when the Sib is trailered and engine suspended in mid air at 60mph eeeeek!!!
I've decided just to use some old wood for my makeshift transom saver.
I will use a sturdy old piece of pressure treated fence post lol.
As mines is a home made trailer with integrated electrics I am going to cut a length of timber that will straddle horizontally across the rear of the trailer and sit against the blue blocks the carpeted bunks are mounted on. See pic.
I will build a centre piece outwards and pad it with foam rubber to support the lower end of my 52kg 20 hp Tohatsu. Secured the block down with a ratchet strap and finished off with a link of paint.
Cheap and cheerful.
I'll post a pic when i get a chance to make it.
Old 28 August 2014, 23:14   #24

Oops!
Here's the pic for above post!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1409267651968.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	98341  
Old 29 August 2014, 00:13   #25

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIBRider View Post
My trailer is set up with bunks supporting tubes (actually two levels with one under speed tubes one under main) hence any harsh jolts will be dampened by tubes to some degree.
Aside from the transom saver, everything I have ever heard and read about SIB trailers is to support the transom directly with bunks. If you look at mine and Kaman's trailer setups you can see the bunks run right under the transom supporting it. Since my speed tubes are under the main tubes my bunks just run up against the main tubes.
Old 29 August 2014, 04:45   #26

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
SIBRider your probably right that forces placed on transom when towing not much different than when boat is in water.
When I had my Achilles 14/Honda 40, I saw a *lot* more movement in the transom trailering than I did running in the water. Might have been it was more visible, but it was enough to make me worry about it.

jky