Old 11 May 2014, 16:25   #1

Town: St Ives
Boat name: Jessy
Make: Seago
Length: under 3m
Engine: honda 2.3
sib advice

Will be on holiday in teignmouth, then looe in mid june. Plan to take the sib. flat bottom and slow. Any advice on putting it on teign, launching from the docks slipway, and the carpark slip in west looe, with hopefully a spot of fishing from the boat. do i need a licence to put it on these rivers. Any other places which my little honda non planer could cope with.
Old 14 May 2014, 09:33   #2

Any advice at all?
Old 14 May 2014, 11:47   #3

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I have never launched from Looe, but have spent a few weeks round there and often vist for lunch. River is tidal, but in a sib I think you will be able to travel a fair way up the river on a decent tide. From memeory, slipway is wide and shallow, launching will probably be + or - 3hrs HW. If conditions are really good (no idea how big your sib is) a trip to Polperro is fantastic in the boat, you can land on the sand beach right in the harbour if your boat is small enough.

Looe near High Tide

Its a fantastic area, we base ourselves just round the corner in Fowey, well worth the trip (By car) to take the boat up the river, or even to Lantic bay if the weather is nice. You can launch from Polruan with a sib over a small hard beach or if you want a proper a slipway there is one at Penmarlam, but its very steep. A trip the other way to Polkerris is also stunning in the right conditions. If you dont have much power, watch the tides at the entrance to either river, it runs fairly strongly and you wont make much ground in a displacement sib.

Polkerris

Polkerris pub and cafe from the water.

Lantic Bay Beach, only accessable by boat and stunning in the right conditions.

Old 14 May 2014, 11:57   #4
RIK

Town: Hertfordshire
Boat name: Five-o
Make: Tornado 645
Length: 6m +
Engine: mercury Optimax 150
No licence needed on the teign,I see most people fishing just outside the river mouth,
watch the currents,flow going in and out on spring tides
Good to fish when the dredger is out,watch going up river as a lot drys out away from main channel, you can have a nice run up to Coombe cellers for a drink or a meal. Shaldon beach is a good base to set up and then go out and play,I have some good boating holidays there,My friend liked it so much he moved there.
sorry I don't know about Looe
Old 14 May 2014, 14:34   #5

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jep49 View Post
Will be on holiday in teignmouth, then looe in mid june. Plan to take the sib. flat bottom and slow. Any advice on putting it on teign, launching from the docks slipway, and the carpark slip in west looe, with hopefully a spot of fishing from the boat. do i need a licence to put it on these rivers. Any other places which my little honda non planer could cope with.
Re Teignmouth
Engine isn't man enough against the tide.Poly steps now have a £10 boat registration fee which lasts the year found this out 2 weekends ago.
Old 14 May 2014, 17:15   #6

Thanks. due to lack of speed i will stick to the inland parts for now. Is there a licence for looe? Fowey looks anothe option. Is there a launch site in the river. I plan 3 hours either side of hight tide . Boat is prabably only 4 knots at most. will be first time on tidal, so wont be too adventurous.
Old 15 May 2014, 00:28   #7

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Quote:
Thanks. due to lack of speed i will stick to the inland parts for now. Is there a liHappy bofor looe? Fowey looks anothe option. Is there a launch site in the river. I plan 3 hours either side of hight tide . Boat is prabably only 4 knots at most. will be first time on tidal, so wont be too adventurous.
Brixham is ok depending on winds more favourable, Cornwal not to sure will make the effort to try though. Happy Boating though
Old 15 May 2014, 09:04   #8

Quote:
Thanks. due to lack of speed i will stick to the inland parts for now. Is there a licence for looe? Fowey looks anothe option. Is there a launch site in the river. I plan 3 hours either side of hight tide . Boat is prabably only 4 knots at most. will be first time on tidal, so wont be too adventurous.

You can launch a few places on the River Fowey, but pretty much the whole river has some tidal effect. I didnt realise you only had a 2hp on the boat, but you can still use the river with a little bit of care.

You can launch from the slip in the middle of the town and park on the attached car park. The slip is wide and shallow so its easy to use. Plan to launch 2hrs before HW and then ride the tide up the river, its a nice trip and you can get as far as Lostwithiel and stop for a bit. Then ride the ebb all the way back to Fowey. Other lauch options are mentioned in my post above.

The issue you will have is your lack of speed, I really doubt you will even make headway against the flow if you get your timings wrong. Lots of people have low powered tenders and use them to get over to the town pontoons, but its slow going and care is needed.

Dont discount the sea, with a small light boat like yours you should be able to launch accross most beaches. Pick a nice day and you can have a lot of fun just pottling along the coast. There are a couple of beaches South of Fowey that you can launch off and play around Carlyon Bay. You could even launch straight off the beach at Polkerris.
Old 15 May 2014, 16:19   #9

thanks for advice. 2 hours before high and go upriver sounds good. probably suit the wife. might check out a beach too. i have a good engine and an anchor. looking forward to it.
Old 16 May 2014, 20:10   #10

Town: Bovey Tracey
Make: Bombard
Engine: Yamaha 15hp two stro
Re Teignmouth
Engine isn't man enough against the tide.Poly steps now have a £10 boat registration fee which lasts the year found this out 2 weekends ago.

Thats odd Dave I have launched there twice this week and they did not mention it. Still great value
Old 17 May 2014, 11:13   #11

Any ides how long it will take to get to newton abbot from polly steps at about 3/4 knots with high tide. How long a round trip needs.
Old 17 May 2014, 11:38   #12

Its about 5 miles, should take an hour give or take.