Town: Littlehampton
Boat name: Warrior
Make: Wetline
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 30HP Autolube
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to MrHeadsocket
SIB A Frame

I'm thinking of getting an A Frame for my SIB over winter as next year I may try going out at dusk/night (only up Littlehampton harbour with a 6 knot limit, not out to sea) so need Nav lights.

My budget is limited so have been thinking of getting these:

A Frame: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...895738&alt=web

Nav Light Combo: Mailspeed Marine Combo Navigation Light, Navigation Lights | Mailspeed Marine

Would these be suitable? The picture of the A frame doesn't show how it is mounted although it says it is transom mounted (I have asked for more pictures of it!)
Old 02 December 2014, 07:22   #2

RIBase
When I say I asked for more pictures, that was about 3 weeks ago and got no reply!

Anyways, would I also need a spotlight to actually see where I'm going? Could anyone recommend fittings I could use to mount that nav light combo? Cheers!
Old 02 December 2014, 07:39   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
IMHO there is no spotlight you can mount on a sib that is going to help you see where you are going, even at six knots. A powerful torch is obviously worth having but unless you are planning to be searching at night I don't see when it might be useful to have it in a fixed position.
Old 02 December 2014, 07:57   #4

Town: North Lincs
Boat name: na
Make: F-Rib 330/Excel 330
Engine: Parsun 15hp
I bought a LED Lenser head light, very light and very powerful with wide angle and zoom. In the zoom mode, you have about a 180yd beam. Mine is the rechargeable version but now you can buy some cheaper ones on ebay.

Phil
Old 02 December 2014, 11:26   #5

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
I have seen SIBs with A-frames made from black PVC waste pipe - not pretty but cheap, tailorable, removable and the wiring can be run inside it.

How far upriver do you want to go? I'd have thought between the river mouth and the Tesco's bridge there'd be enough ambient light by which to navigate. Either that or get a fishfinder and turn in the opposite direction when the depth starts decreasing rapidly!
Old 02 December 2014, 15:30   #6

RIBase
At the most, about 3NM upriver but I would still like an A frame for if I ever decide to go out to sea
Old 02 December 2014, 16:43   #7

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
At least at this time of year there aren't crowds of tourists leaning on the railing and watching what happens at the mouth of the Arun.

09:00 on a Sunday is good - the RNLI are training and out and about anyway!
Old 02 December 2014, 16:59   #8

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
With launching wheels and other stuff I personally wouldn't want an A frame being in the way. If your only reason for having it is to put running lights on, then it makes even less sense since you can easily add running lights in other ways. I have seen a cutting board with bungee cords on it to mount the front battery powered light. The rear can clamp onto the transom, utilizing a pole if needed. They also make suction cup battery powered lights (Use a lanyard).

Something like this mount could also be used for a light. http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/anchor-hub-65706.html

Mine are set up to mount to my anchor crate in the bow, and a fishing rod holder on the transom. The transom mount is extendable. I believe they are SeaSense LED lights that are powered by my onboard battery. That way i never have to worry about dead batteries in the "flashlight" running light types, as I still have not needed running lights after a year of owning them. (Our coast is unforgiving, and the San Francisco Bay is not a good place for a tiny boat to be after dark. Lakes are where lights are useful to me but we don't go camping very often.)
Old 07 December 2014, 11:53   #9

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Some posts above appear to be referring to navigation lights as if they are something to see with.

Navigation lights are to be seen by other vessels. There are strict patterns of lights for each category of boat. That way, in the dark, another vessel can not only see that you are there, but work out what you are - and therefore how you are likely to manoeuvre.

In addition to this, in some circumstances, lights to see where you are going may be useful - but I wonder how often it would be wise to be at sea in these conditions in a small open boat.
Old 07 December 2014, 16:13   #10

Town: Oakland CA
The big problem with spotlights is that it blows your night vision. Turn on the spot, and all you can see is what is illuminated: the beam diameter, out to the small distance it lights up (and that distance generally isn't all that far.)

It can be useful in some circumstances: pulling up to a dock, say; but if I can't see what's in front of me well enough, I slow down rather than limit my vision to one direction.

jky
Old 07 December 2014, 16:41   #11

RIBase
I decided to ditch the spotlight idea, as they would be pretty useless! Still deciding about the A frame, or whether I can just use lights mounted on a pole on the transom...
Old 07 December 2014, 17:32   #12

Town: gloucestershire
kitchen waste pipe or rod holder fixed to transom, broom handle stands up in holder, independent battery powered tender nav light fixed to top of pole. simples. .
Old 07 December 2014, 18:53   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelgas View Post
kitchen waste pipe or rod holder fixed to transom, broom handle stands up in holder, independent battery powered tender nav light fixed to top of pole. simples. .
Will give this a try over winter!