Old 19 September 2017, 08:37   #1

Town: Goole
Boat name: Them Kids
Make: Prowave and aquafax
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp yam &Honda 5hp
Seal skin

Hi all,
Anyone had any luck with seal skin or similar poured into an air deck? I have this niggling slow leak that I thought I'd try this.
Tony
Old 19 September 2017, 12:38   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozardy View Post
Hi all,
Anyone had any luck with seal skin or similar poured into an air deck? I have this niggling slow leak that I thought I'd try this.
Tony
Just seal the leak?

If it's on a corner edge, put a coin sized dot of McNetts Aquaseal on it.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 17:01   #3

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
I've never used it but I have sealed tiny leaks with just 2 part glue
Old 19 September 2017, 17:54   #4

Problem is chaps? I can't trace the leak! It goes down over a few days. I've pumped it up to 0.8bar lathered it and checked it over inch by inch with a really soapy wash and wax. I could live with it because it's only the port side airdeck and I can inflate it quickly, it's just one of those niggles. Never had a problem with my prowave in 5 years but this honwave........ could quite easily cut my losses!!!!
Tony
Old 20 September 2017, 06:26   #5

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
I bought a new 3.2 honwave airdeck and after the first time out I was washing it down I flipped it over and while washing the underside of the floor I notices an area where tiny bubbles were seeping through the floor material .when I looked closely it was like when the material was manufactured the outer layer of rubber had small areas where you could see the cloth from within showing .they apologized and swapped it for a new one with some excuse about end of a roll pvc but it left me wondering about there quality control
Old 04 October 2017, 20:44   #6

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
I bought a new 3.2 honwave airdeck and after the first time out I was washing it down I flipped it over and while washing the underside of the floor I notices an area where tiny bubbles were seeping through the floor material .when I looked closely it was like when the material was manufactured the outer layer of rubber had small areas where you could see the cloth from within showing .they apologized and swapped it for a new one with some excuse about end of a roll pvc but it left me wondering about there quality control
That's unbelievable I would be very annoyed!

Back to the seal skin, having read up on it I'm not sure it's going to work if you have a tiny puncture instead of a leaking valve holder or internal seam issue. I personally would put some type of non waterbased sealant in or as friend of mine done to find an annoying leak, put a small amount of water based die in a water solution then put it into the chamber this will indicate where the air is escaping but this is only going to work if you can keep the boat dry and clean to observe the dye indication and then youve go to wash out the chamber as best you can meaning removing the valve.

Have you removed and cleaned the valves 9 out of 10 that's the leak?
Old 04 October 2017, 21:32   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I've always understood you should not put a sealant product into an air floor in case it interferes with the threads that join the upper/lower layers.

If you look again more carefully you will find the leak... if it goes down they can be found.

Long shot thought though... you 100% sure it's not the valve? Edit... sorry didn't see Lee has mentioned that... well worth double checking.
Old 06 October 2017, 22:28   #8

Town: Norwich
Boat name: Leaky bastard
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 25 merc stroker
I had a leak on the seam of my airdeck and used a similar product. No more leak.
Old 07 October 2017, 08:56   #9

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Just pump the deck up and go over it, inch by inch, with soapy water. You will find the puncture, eventually. Took me several hours with one.
Old 08 October 2017, 16:48   #10

After 6 weeks of playing find the leak I've decided to live with it! I did put 500ml of sealant into the airdeck pumped it up to 0.8bar and rolled it around the garden .... stood it up on either end and checked it regularly, it is a bugger but even after a week it's only gone down to 0.2bar so sod it! It doesn't take long to pump one half of the airdeck up. I've since let it down, rolled it up and reinflated several times wth no issues of the airdeck gumming up, so hey ho it'll do.
Now to have a go with it! I got it at the end of August as a 'new other' because of the leak and never had it in the water.
Bought .... ( in my stupid innocence) some after market wheels (never again) they are absolutely cr*p!
And finally...
I need to source/fabricate some seats because the seller kept the one supplied so he could have two.
So thanks everyone for there input and happy boating🤗.
Tony