Old 27 June 2014, 02:47   #21

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
I just need to keep her floating when I go for a walkabout ..if the tide strands her.. I have to wait for the next tide to refloat her.. just too heavy to haul on my own.
I have 49mm launching wheels, and although a struggle I can roll mine over baseball sized rocks by myself. Unload the boat of the fuel tank, anchor, gear, and I can pull it right up on the beach. I have seen your posts and where you go, plus the photo above of your boat in the waves, and I would rest far easier with the boat safely above tide line. I do know a couple of guys who flipped a SIB anchoring in shallow water on a calm day...except those three swells that flipped them over. Never trust the Pacific or any ocean for that matter.

I am super jealous of the places you guys have to visit. You would find me exploring, and camping on those islands if they were around here.
Old 27 June 2014, 05:50   #22

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi again Peter... the west with its sea lochs and many islands is a great place for a boat of any kind, I hope to add some more posts on this adventure once I get my land legs back.

The Quicksilver had some transom wheels when I got the SIB.. but I removed them. An auxiliary engine is far more important to me. Some of the areas I explore are very remote and I go alone so want to be as self sufficient as possible. However I do carry two inflatable roller boats if I wanted to unload the boat to lift it onto them..but again that is only for emergency use as its too much like hard work.

I have seen a few boats in my lifetime .. even quite large hardshells taking a clatter when landing due to the skippers being inexperienced in swell. I always land wearing my chest waders..jump out and immediately turn the bow into the wave..then front anchor down.. then ... rear anchor to stop the receding waves or wind.. turning the boat side on.. which would mean a flip or filled with water with the next wave. Even landing and pulling onto the beach.. a wave will go straight over the transom if not quick.

I don’t leave the boat long on such a mooring as in the photo. Its usually only a photo or pee come leg stretch stop. I couldn’t sleep with it anchored on an exposed beach so always find a safe haven for the night. A sheltered river mouth or harbour suits best. However it is perfect when the tide leaves her high and dry just before camp time..and refloats her when ready to leave in the morning.

I parked in Eigg harbour for the night

Although I used the campsite.. it was very basic. I didn’t use the toilets. The wood was rotten and built over a very deep pit. I doubt even the coast guard would dare a rescue if I flipped into that deep dark water

Old 27 June 2014, 06:58   #23

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Yes I was up west that week Gurnard .. it was a good high pressure but gave a lot of cloud and Har at times when I was through the summer Isles ... the khazi on the right looks a traditional Scottish one, with a jaggy thistle to stab your bum