Old 31 October 2015, 18:41   #1

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Scotland next year

Last time we went to Loch Sween, and before that Loch Linnhe, which were both lovely. The missus wants to go to the Highlands, so we've booked a cottage on the shores of Loch Long.

Looks fabulous, although it's 400 miles from here. l love the Scottish Highlands, it is just so quiet. Too many cars around here these days.

We went to Norfolk this year and it was great, but all of the villages were absolutely crammed with cars. Norfolk Broads are fabulous on the boat though, it's the fourth time we've been there.
Old 31 October 2015, 20:28   #2

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Great Sibbing on Loch Long - easy launch at the forestry campsite near the head of the loch. Also not far from Loch Fyne which is a bit more sea-like. Splendid scenery. I've sibbed up the middle of Lock Long on a calm early morning with the water so calm it clearly reflected the individual leaves on the trees on the shore. And if you make the trip over to Oban, you can launch at Puffin Divers and do a lap of Kerrera, or even further afield. Have fun.
Old 01 November 2015, 01:01   #3

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Oban is a good base, good campsites/B&Bs/hotels.

Puffin Divers are a bit "marmite" but they do what it says on the tin, just don't catch them on their wrong week
Old 12 November 2015, 15:25   #4

Town: Burnley
Make: Excel
Engine: Outboard petrol 5HP
I go to Scotland every 3 weeks between February and November, I have 2 sibs, an excel SL260 and a 3D tender 2.9m. Because speed is not a requirement I have a Torqeedo 1003S to drive them.
I go to Loch Ken in the SW, Loch Lomond Millarochy bay on the east side both of which are seasonal and to Loch Leven at Glencoe which is tidal and open all year.
All 3 are superb for sibbing.
Old 12 November 2015, 17:02   #5

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Loch Long is a lovely loch ..as is Loch Goil.. a branch off Loch Long ...and I go there regularly as its the closed sea loch to my home town. Just be aware that it has speed limits and restricted zones that you should not enter ... or the MOD will be onto you very quickly.

Coulport still serves the nuclear submarines that enter the loch...and the MOD patrol boats carefully monitor every boat in the area. They have not been too bothered about me being on the plane although I guess they will pull anyone they don’t like the look of .. .. but they definitely don’t like anyone entering the restricted zone off Coulport ..nor do they like folks taking photos in the sensitive areas. However follow the rules and it is a lovely area..sheltered and scenic.

Here is a link to the restricted areas and speed limits. Best to be aware of them. then they wont spoil your visit.

Gareloch and brief notes on Loch Long and Loch Goil [Expanded View] - West Scotland and North of Ireland: pilotage, charts, photos and marine business listings

Enjoy your visit.. you may even see me there in mackerel season
Old 13 November 2015, 10:11   #6

Town: Farnham
Engine: Evinrude etec
We're taking the kids, extended family and friends to Loch Arkaig next year and I am so much looking forward to the trip!!

Anybody on here who ribbed/sibbed on that Loch and could share experiences, please?
Old 13 November 2015, 10:34   #7

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
It's not Loch Long in Argyle that we have booked, it's Loch Long further up in the Highlands near Skye.
Old 13 November 2015, 12:08   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>it's Loch Long further up in the Highlands near Skye.

I did wonder as you'd mentioned the Highlands.

We had a great week at Inverinate just along Loch Duich from where Loch Long joins a few years back. We travelled the SIB each day in the car 5mins from the cottage to the cobble slip on the village hall side of the Dornie bridge. Set up, parking and slipping was easy/free there. We were lucky when we stayed the village hall had an art exhibition with soup and rolls being served... took advantage of that a few times. Village hall also has nice toilets/washing facilities open to all which is always useful adj a slipway.

Dornie has a small shop/PO and a few minutes in the car to a fuel station with shop at Inverinate who were happy to fill several boat fuel tanks/cans.

Then under 15mins in the car there are loads of shops and a decent supermarket at Kyle of Lochalsh.

We took the SIB in the car (20mins of narrow roads) to launch at Plockton which was an amazing place... gave a quicker access to more open "sea" than launching at Dornie and having to go out all the way along Loch Alsh.

Several days it was like glass back along Loch Duich and we had the fastest runs ever along that stretch.

Going out to the Skye bridge along Loch Alsh we were a little caught out twice on the return trip with strong winds against the tide flowing out from Loch Alsh/Duich/Long. It was very bumpy between the small islands and the Kyle piers ... and similar in the narrows between Glas Eilean and the main shore about a third of the way along Loch Alsh from Dornie.

It's a favoured area for foreign royalty as well (different folks will have different views on this!)... Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid al-Maktoum owns thousands of acres there as well as Inverinate house on the Duich shore. During our week there was the most amazing large traditional sailing yacht visiting the loch flying his colours.

Video of self and girls leaving the village hall slip at Dornie...

Hope there's something of interest in that lot!
Old 13 November 2015, 12:12   #9

Also worth mentioning we are hovering over booking two weeks in Scotland again in 2016... just such a great area for SIBs.
Old 13 November 2015, 14:04   #10

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Ditto, love it up there.
Got a week in Crinan at the end of July, hopefully a few fish around then.
Old 13 November 2015, 15:08   #11

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
were hoping to go to arisaig in 2016 we went to luing and clachtol this year but arisaig is favourite for next year
Old 13 November 2015, 17:04   #12

Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
Easdale as a base for your Scottish SIB holiday

Easdale just south of oban has all the necessary requirements for your SIB holiday.
Harbour -it may be small but it is one of the safest on the west coast of Scotland. Owned by the community, the harbour hosts the Easdale RIB Rendezvouus every spring
Accommodation self catering and B&B. Info Eilean Eisdeal - the Easdale Island Community Development Group
Pubs -both close to the ferry slips, one on the island and one on the mainland.
Local boating knowledge from the RIB tour operators.

Video about Easdale see

As to some of the cruising potential see

http://www.rib.net/forum/f16/scottis...ard-68396.html

There are loads of alternatives for a wide range of abilities.

Tony
Old 13 November 2015, 17:23   #13

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Saw the BBC National weather report was from Easdale this evening...(even though they said it was Seal) Hope you Guys got the Hatches Battoned...looks like it may be Tad Breezey later!
I must go with the flow...Gerat place and wonderful area to explore the Highlands and Islands from!
Simlpy Amazing!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2015, 18:21   #14

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Hill View Post
Easdale just south of oban has all the necessary requirements for your SIB holiday.
Harbour -it may be small but it is one of the safest on the west coast of Scotland. Owned by the community, the harbour hosts the Easdale RIB Rendezvouus every spring
Accommodation self catering and B&B. Info Eilean Eisdeal - the Easdale Island Community Development Group
Pubs -both close to the ferry slips, one on the island and one on the mainland.
Local boating knowledge from the RIB tour operators.

Video about Easdale see

As to some of the cruising potential see

http://www.rib.net/forum/f16/scottis...ard-68396.html

There are loads of alternatives for a wide range of abilities.

Tony
from me been going there since the 80's
Old 13 November 2015, 21:16   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
were hoping to go to arisaig in 2016 we went to luing and clachtol this year but arisaig is favourite for next year
Arisaig is lovely, and certainly is a great sib venue, but I'd caution that the facilities for launching are less ideal than they could be. Perhaps with a transom wheeled sib you can make do. Personally, id say that unless the weather and tides are playing ball you might find Luing was better.

Poly
Old 14 November 2015, 07:23   #16

Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
Local Area Knowledge

Luing- you need a car unless you stay at Sunnybrae
Ferry service to Luing will take you and your car but costs more and is less frequent than easdale' s passenger only ferry.
If you stay on Easdale it's just a short walk to your boat. Luing has two harbours with the island being so much larger
No pubs on Luing but their new Atlantic Centre is impressive. Easdale's pubs are on the doorstep

Tourism hub for the area is recognised as Easdale.

Tony
Old 14 November 2015, 10:46   #17

is there static rentals on easdale near the water .if the ferry is passenger only I assume you park and leave your car on seil and go across on your own boat
Old 14 November 2015, 11:02   #18

It was years ago when we were last in the Arisaig area with a boat and that was a GRP trad 4m displacement fishing boat. However I remember at low water the way back to the slip was difficult if you valued your skeg and at lowest water the area below the slip was a weedy bouldered mess. See attached image link...

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/77/...6_f0a7f082.jpg

The chart linked shows the drying sand/rocks which leave limited options if you return near low water...

Arisaig: Chart of Arisaig and approaches: Visitmyharbour.com

Having said that the Arisaig white sand skerries are amazing to visit but my preferred option is to do that from the seaward side having launched elsewhere.

Ideal for kayaks though.
Old 14 November 2015, 11:11   #19

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
is there static rentals on easdale near the water .if the ferry is passenger only I assume you park and leave your car on seil and go across on your own boat

Hi not aware of any caravans near the water in Ellenabeich. Yes you park and take ferry over to Easdale.
Suggest you either do B&B of which there are many or hire a cottage on either side. Great place to rib from. Need help pm Tony Hill great guy and will help you and is a great resource.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2015, 12:23   #20

thanks were still undecided where to go another contender the mrs likes the look of gairloch but I'm struggling to find any where for launching at any of the campsites. I also quite fancy the Oban area .ideally we need a campsite that does statics as well as tents and tourers would have its own or a local slipway and a mooring or pontoon would be good though not essential