Old 08 September 2018, 18:34   #1

Length: 4m +
Saturn 385

I have a buddy that purchased a new Saturn 385 and is having "buckling" issues, if that is a real word. He has a new Suzuki 20 hp and the boat came with air floors. He has inflated it with his portable battery operated pump to the correct pressures all the way around. What causes it to buckle at times? He has switched pin positions on the motor....not sure what else to tell him. Any ideas? I have a 1997 Zodiac Futura with air floors and I have never experienced this kind of issue.

Old 09 September 2018, 01:34   #2

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Once he has pumped up the boat and put it in the water leave it there for 10 or so minutes and pump up the floor a bit more. The cold water reduces the pressure in the air floor

Old 09 September 2018, 08:19   #3

Thanks for the information, I will pass that along to him. Hopefully that will fix his problem.
Old 09 September 2018, 16:02   #4

Town: Brooklyn NY
Boat name: Red Rover
Make: Saturn 340
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outbd 15hp Johnson
Agreed. I have their 365 model and you will DEFINITELY get that action when the floor is anything but fully/ properly inflated. Even then you will still get a rolling sensation under foot if the wave crests are spaced apart just so. Nature of the beast. The speed of assembly is traded off for a little bit of rigidity.
Old 09 September 2018, 16:06   #5

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mariner 9.9 2018
>>> Even then you will still get a rolling sensation under foot if the wave crests are spaced apart just so. Nature of the beast. The speed of assembly is traded off for a little bit of rigidity.

Yep that was broadly what I was going to add. Of course make the pressure check a few minutes after it's been in the water but then if it is still less than rigid accept that's just how they are.

It's very hard to make flat air floors that are 100% stiff once the size creeps towards 4m.
Old 11 September 2018, 10:35   #6

Town: Colorado/Arizona
Make: Saturn SD360
Engine: Suzuki 20 EFI
I have a Saturn 365. I fought the same problem for a year. This is taken from the Boats to go Saturn web site.
“ It is not necessary to have an air pressure gauge to inflate Saturn boats. The boat tubes are equipped with Safety valves that will prevent over-inflation. In general, when you feel that boat tubes/floor are hard to the touch, and it becomes difficult to pump any more air in, that means that the boat is ready. However, if you are using a high-pressure electric air pump, please use below guidelines to avoid boat over-inflation and consequential damage.”
I was using there max rated pressures. I called there web site because I was not happy with the performance. The guy insisted that I use a hand pump and fill until it was hard. I filled it to the max pressure and then checked the “hardness”. The keel felt like a sponge. I filled it until it was firm and pumped the floor up another pound or two. The difference was like night and day. It planned much better and done away with the bending feeling. It’s worked great the last couple of years with no problems.
Old 21 September 2018, 20:21   #7

Thanks Chopperbill, He has yet to get back out on the pond but I will pass this info on. Interesting since I owned an air floor 1997 Zodiac Futura and never experienced the "rodeo cowboy bucking". Must be the price difference, quality etc. My 380 Futura was made in France (I believe) vs China.............