Old 08 April 2016, 21:15   #21

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
We do, a rope ladder... (Have you seen the price of boat ladders!!!)

So on the way to the water today we played the "what if daddy falls in" game, and my 6 YO was able to tell me exactly what he would do which I was pretty pleased with... This was with no prior briefing or discussion...

Stop the engine by pulling the red cable
Throw the anchor in
Throw a rope to you
(He also said he would use the radio but he doesn't actually know how to use it yet)
Old 08 April 2016, 22:53   #22

Town: Kerry
Boat name: Independence
Make: FunYak
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF10
This is a good topic, I mentioned it to the kids before, but after reading the comments I'm going to get them to do the basic actions next time we're out ( without actually jumping overboard)

Thanks
Old 09 April 2016, 12:19   #23

Town: Southampton/Poole
Boat name: Black Racketeer
Make: White Shark & Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Verado 150
What a great topic, I used to from a young age have a good understanding of what to do in an emergency situation, but a lot of kids would panic in an emergency situation, I know I would have! I think the most important is that they know how to stop the boat, engine and anchor and then call for help, I wonder how the coast guard would feel in an emergency situation if a kid just picked up the radio and said I need help, my mum/dad has fallen in the water this is our boat and then hit the red button, I can't imagine them getting to angry based on risk of life.

I have the same situ when I'm out with my mates who have little or no boating knowledge, and I always give them the worst case scenario and what to do, but again how affective would this be in an emergency, hopefully I will never find out.
Old 09 April 2016, 12:27   #24
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble95 View Post
I wonder how the coast guard would feel in an emergency situation if a kid just picked up the radio and said I need help, my mum/dad has fallen in the water this is our boat and then hit the red button, I can't imagine them getting to angry based on risk of life.
They'd be delighted, there is no requirement for a license for emergency use anyway, but I am absolutely certain that if they get a distress call (no matter how far off the official procedure) from a youngster in a real emergency they will be praising them not criticising them.
Old 09 April 2016, 17:48   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
They'd be delighted, there is no requirement for a license for emergency use anyway, but I am absolutely certain that if they get a distress call (no matter how far off the official procedure) from a youngster in a real emergency they will be praising them not criticising them.
Yip. Your biggest concern will be when the press get hold of it and want to make a nice local news story about hero child... Like they do when a 3 year old calls 999 when mummy falls down the stairs etc...
Old 09 April 2016, 19:51   #26

Town: Epsom
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
When they get older, its also worth looking at something like Sea Scouts or Sea Cadets - they can provide tons of training.