Old 18 August 2010, 08:22   #11
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Out of curiosity, what are the dinghies, and how ae they trailered?

I'm thinking that you could possibly bolt / weld an O/B bracket to the trailer somewhere.

Also if they're not fast dinghies, (e.g oppies) you could get a smaller engine with a lower pitch prop - less weight, as you only need enough HP to get on the plane. Lower pitch also = puilling power. Different story if it's a fleet of Int.14s!

9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2010, 18:25   #12
Length: 6m +
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Out of curiosity, what are the dinghies, and how ae they trailered?
We have two Laser Bahias, three Laser Vagos, and four Laser Picos (nothing like a bit of brand loyalty!).

The Bahias go on a frame double stacker - we could possibly arrange a bracket on the front without too much difficulty - it's a very well balanced trailer at the moment.

The Vagos and one Pico go on two Mersea Trailers Regatta Double Stackers... we've had a bit of an issue with these! They have a large storage box underneath the two boats, and weigh a massive amount even unladen. We struggled just before our last camp getting weight far enough back to give an acceptable nose weight - there really is no scope on these for the outboards.

The last three picos go two on a double stacker - again we could do something with a bracket on this one, and the third on either a roofrack or a single roadbase (no options for engines here).

I think we fit somewhere between the I14 (I've just bought a 1/4 share in one of these, it's mental!) and the Oppy - the Vagos are pretty fast, so we need a decent bit of pace to keep up with them. In terms of towing from the SIB, 15hp should be plenty.

Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote