Old 01 January 2013, 17:38   #1

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Safe place for first launch

Are there any non tidal waterways near M3 J1-J6 corridor where I could launch my new sib and run in my outboard for a minimal fee (ie don't have to pay yearly license).

Have looked at Basingstoke Canal, engine too powerful for length of boat. Thames not an option - too fast flowing. Some of setting up will be a lesson in rowing for my 9 year old so needs to be still water.

I would be much happier getting the boat initially setup in sheltered non tidal waters. There are plenty of lakes/reservoirs (the latter not likely to allow powered public craft) near me but not sure which ones allow powered craft for non members use.

Thanks
Old 01 January 2013, 19:35   #2

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
No a cheap option, but you can use the lake at Russell Powerboats for £60 for four hours.

Sea Doo Jet Ski, Jet Skis for Sale, Can Am Quads, UK, Hampshire

Had a session there some years ago to play about with different props and settings. We had the (small) lake to ourselves - might not be as good if any of the members are out with their jetskis or boats.

Cheers

Chris
Old 01 January 2013, 20:05   #3

Thanks. That's pretty close to me so would have been ideal but price is very steep - that's over 6 months license fee for River Thames I was hoping significantly less than £60.
Old 01 January 2013, 22:11   #4
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
If you can wait for the flow on the Thames to drop you will be OK pretty much anywhere and it will cost you in the region of £10-15 for a 6m Rib for two days on a Visitors Licence.

Walton at Cowey Sale is pretty good with a nice slip and plenty parking.

Chris
Old 02 January 2013, 08:10   #5

Thanks. I know that area well although had not been past Cowey Sale since the bridge work started. I think slip is far enough from new bridge to avoid that. Ironically I had been eyeing up Broadwater Lake just 100 yards away although only for rowing.

I was hoping to avoid the Thames due to speed restriction meaning that I cannot put outboard through its recommended running in procedure - ie in second hour of running in I will be running for periods at full throttle.
Old 11 January 2013, 11:35   #6

Just trying the read the bylaws for tidal Thames. My eyes glazed over.

Can anyone explain in simple terms what I am allowed to do between say just below Teddington weir and Putney and whether boat needs to be licensed and with whome?

Also any decent places to launch? Twickenham, Teddington, Isleworth? Its been a while since I've been to these parts of the river and at the time I wasn't thinking of launching a boat so never paid much attention to slips.

I do realised that Thames can get rather shallow around these parts.
Old 11 January 2013, 11:48   #7

Town: basingstoke
Boat name: loonasea
Make: picton
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard 150 ye har
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH
Just trying the read the bylaws for tidal Thames. My eyes glazed over.

Can anyone explain in simple terms what I am allowed to do between say just below Teddington weir and Putney and whether boat needs to be licensed and with whome?

Also any decent places to launch? Twickenham, Teddington, Isleworth? Its been a while since I've been to these parts of the river and at the time I wasn't thinking of launching a boat so never paid much attention to slips.

I do realised that Thames can get rather shallow around these parts.
Hello mate i know loads of nice little launch spots on the thames around reading ive been keeping an eye on the flow and it is getting there ive been sibing all my life and doing the thames for 13 years so if u want i could meet up for an afternoon if u like
Old 11 January 2013, 12:32   #8

Thanks for offer but what I am looking for is relatively safe place to run the engine in which, after 1st hour means running it full throttle for periods which, correct me if I'm wrong, would exceed the speed limit on non tidal Thames.

Having failed to find a reasonable priced waterway around me that would have allowed full throttle use, I am reverting to Thames around Hampton which I know very well or Basingstoke Canal for my sons rowing lessons and possibly Thames below Teddington for faster (hopefully planeing) runs. Eventually the boat will be based in Littlehampton and I was hoping to avoid the run through the river mouth until after I had become more familiar with things and happy that it was all running 100%. I'm probably being a bit cautious, but its nearly 25 years since I last drove a motorboat and I'm not as fit as I use to be to row myself out of trouble.

Might take you up on that offer next year when I hope to travel a bit further afield. South coast from littlehampton and Chichester harbour are my plans for this year.
Old 11 January 2013, 15:13   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
There's a speed limit on the tidal Thames all the way through London and way past the Thames barrier. It's 8 knots above Wandsworth bridge and 12 knots below.

I'd suggest you just head for the coast instead. Northney at the top of Chichester harbour has good all tide access, or the Camber Dock in Portsmouth if you want easy access to unrestricted water.