Old 18 August 2009, 18:56   #1

Town: nuneaton
Make: Honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8, 4S
Running in my outboard.

Me again,
Just wondering if anyone knows a good place in the midlands area to run in my outboard?. Didn't want to go to the coast just to spend the first 5 or 6 hours doing the slow part of the run in procedure. The boat will be insured as of this weekend, so no prob's there and it is a 4 stroke 9.8hp, so no probs with pollution. If anyone can suggest somewhere, I would appriciate it. I am in the Hinckley area, Midlands.
Oh, and can anyone suggest a good place to get a manometer from, its for a honda 3.2 IE airfloor jobbie.
Cheers,
Mark
Old 18 August 2009, 19:25   #2

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Running in engine

As long as you vary the engine speed you should be OK. I ran mine in on the canal, where it was not possible to do the recommended "full throttle for one minute in every ten".
However if you vary the speed between idle and half maximum RPM, or whatever you can manage, it shouldn't cause any issues. The worst thing you can do is sit at a steady low RPM for hours on end.
Old 18 August 2009, 19:39   #3

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Happy Days
Engine: Mariner 4St/4HP
Send a message via Skype™ to MikeP
Sorry, can't help much recommending where to go, but we did the same as lightning running ours in (almost there at the 20 hour mark) - canal, bit of river, bit of Bristol floating harbour - the latter where we were able to get up to full revs as recommended.

As far as pressure gauges go, I've been eyeing this one up this afternoon...

http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/m...nflating-pumps

available from a number of places at about the same price. It looks like it fits between the valve and the hose from the pump, so ideal for the last few strokes with the handpump when finishing it off, I reckon.

Anyone else using one of these ?
Old 18 August 2009, 20:09   #4

Town: bristol
Boat name: astra
Make: zodiac 340s
Engine: 15hp mariner
MMSI: 235905847
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
As long as you vary the engine speed you should be OK. I ran mine in on the canal, where it was not possible to do the recommended "full throttle for one minute in every ten".
However if you vary the speed between idle and half maximum RPM, or whatever you can manage, it shouldn't cause any issues. The worst thing you can do is sit at a steady low RPM for hours on end.
So will this make you engine slow,i just posted a another thread to find out
Old 18 August 2009, 23:36   #5

Town: Marple
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Running in

No, it won't. To be honest on a 6hp outboard motor it's going to be more about oil consumption in the long term. If the engine is not run in properly the bore can glaze and this may cause slightly higher oil consumption, but you won't notice any reduction in performance on such a low power engine.
On a racing bike engine you might see a few extra BHP at 14,000 RPM on an engine that has been properly run in...although the jury is still out over how this should be done.
I would say just vary the RPM during the first few hours of use, and don't run the engine at the same speed for long periods.
Old 19 August 2009, 10:57   #6

Thanks all,
I will give one of those maonemeter a go.
I might try and get the first couple of hours on the canal, then were hopeing to get a long weekend up in Scotland next month, so might try and get it on one of the loch's. Maybe loch Ken or go a bit further afield and get on lock Lomond. Should get most of the slow running in bit done then.
Mark :O)
Old 19 August 2009, 12:57   #7

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
have you got the recomended running in procedure ,but i would agree with the posts above .
Old 19 August 2009, 15:39   #8

Yes, got the manual for the engine, takes 10 hours to fully run in. Could be a long 10 hours :O(