Old 17 July 2018, 14:34   #21

Town: Fareham
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
your boat is cat C rated upto 2m beaufort force 5 6-8 ft/2m wind speed 19-24 mph but i can tell its very uncomfy for long periods and then you have wind against tide /overfalls to consider. personally i dont push it and go out in 3/4 occasionally i go in rougher if the wind is off the land and i can get in the lee of cliffs. but your boat will be there long after you have had enough.OMO
Thanks Jeff , much obliged and appreciated
Old 17 July 2018, 14:37   #22

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Not sure on your boat but sibs bellow 4m are the goto surf lifesaving boat over here in Australia, these are put through almost any conditions. In saying that, it doesn't mean you should. Only time and experiencing different conditions will build confidence in you and your craft ( don't rush it ).

An alternative port is something I always plan for, often heading into disgusting weather can be avoided by heading to another harbour or even beach launch and retrieve site. Allowing extra fuel to either head into bad weather or travel further with it to reach a different port needs to be considered.

Last weekend I hit bad weather and had to tack around 15km off course on my run home from a trip offshore. Even though we were experiencing 35 knots of wind and 3.5m wave height we could still maintain 20knts simply because we weren't hitting it head on. Yes my boat is bigger at 5m and will easely handle far more than Saturdays blow but by altering our heading we had a fun run rather than a wet bang and crash trip home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1684.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	125858  
Old 17 July 2018, 20:13   #23

Town: Fareham
Thanks jonp, every comment helps with my new venture on a RIB, only for Fishing around the Solent here in the UK. Thanks for taking the time to reply. As an off topic, I watch Dangar Marine (Australia) on YouTube, good info and help from him.
Old 17 July 2018, 20:42   #24

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osceola View Post
Thanks jonp, every comment helps with my new venture on a RIB, only for Fishing around the Solent here in the UK. Thanks for taking the time to reply. As an off topic, I watch Dangar Marine (Australia) on YouTube, good info and help from him.
+1for stew at danger lots of info
Old 18 July 2018, 04:39   #25

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osceola View Post
I'm from the IOW so fished and boated the Solent and channel for many years, though I have lived here in Aus the last 23 years. Haven't been back since moving out here but miss the odd trip out around the Needles.