Old 13 June 2017, 07:19   #1

Length: under 3m
River license

Do I need a license for a 2.7 meter sib with a 3.5 hp motor to go on navigable rivers? If so any idea of the cost?
Old 13 June 2017, 07:26   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Depends where you live... what would be your area to use it?
Old 13 June 2017, 07:40   #3

Hi short trips along stretches of for instance.. River Dee, Trent, avon etc
Old 13 June 2017, 08:03   #4

I looked into the Dee recently which is council controlled and the by the book needs were...

You need insurance to apply, initial registration is £72 then its £122 a year or £20 a day. Daily licences sold by the Riverside Café CH1 1SD.

But when it was last discussed some thought you didn't need the initial registration.

The Trent & Avon come under the Canal & Rivers Trust and I think you can buy daily licences for £9 to go on the river... £15 if you want to go on the canals too.

You could phone or mail both and tell them your boat details for an accurate up to date situation.
Old 13 June 2017, 08:13   #5

Thanks for the info... Sounds like daily licenses would suit me... In reality, do people actually get one? Or just launch and hope nobody bothers them?
Old 13 June 2017, 08:23   #6

Despite trying to get away with it being treated as a game by some boaters it can result in criminal prosecution. They had a purge round here the other year and these were the sort of fines slapped on folks...

fined £60, ordered to pay costs of £150, court charge of £150 and victim surcharge of £20.

fined £1,000 and ordered to pay costs of £250, court charge of £150 and victim surcharge of £100.

fined £550 and ordered to pay costs of £250, court charge of £150 and victim surcharge of £55.

fined £350 and ordered to pay costs £250, court charge of £150, victim surcharge of £35.

fined £450 and ordered to pay costs of £250, court charge of £150, victim surcharge of £45.

And they all had to pay the licence fees they'd skipped.
----------------------------------------------

Sorry if it sounds holier than thou but I'm happy to pay my dues in life and don't want the chance of being caught out spoiling a day out so don't go on the river unless a licence is in force.
Old 13 June 2017, 08:30   #7

Will check out these daily licenses... Cheers for all of your help
Old 13 June 2017, 08:47   #8

Just registered and checked out the prices for weekly and daily licenses... Very cheap and easy to use... Fantastic... Thank you so much fenlander.
Old 13 June 2017, 10:16   #9

Town: Chester
Boat name: Impulse
We are new to sibs and the Dee is the local river for us. 4 trips so far and we were stopped and asked for docs 2/3 trips. The 4th was late afternoon, after 5pm and we were only out an out, testing the new motor.
Best not risk it.
Old 13 June 2017, 10:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie.harker View Post
We are new to sibs and the Dee is the local river for us. 4 trips so far and we were stopped and asked for docs 2/3 trips. The 4th was late afternoon, after 5pm and we were only out an out, testing the new motor.
Best not risk it.
How much did you pay for the Dee Katie?
Old 13 June 2017, 10:49   #11

Town: Chester
Boat name: Impulse
192 for Registration and 1 year licence, plus insurance which was needed to to register.
Old 13 June 2017, 12:19   #12

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I often go on the Trent and pay for a day ticket via the Canal and River Trust website. Quick and easy and not too expensive. When I have been down on the Ouse near Huntingdon, I have paid over the counter at a marina.

Over a 20+ year period, I have never once been asked to preset a licence. I know the penalties are severe. That aside, I think it is only fair to pay because most of the rivers in this country are carefully managed with weirs and sluices to keep the water the right depth, locks to bypass shallows and rapids, and slips and moorings available for boaters. I don't mind paying my part of that.
Old 13 June 2017, 14:02   #13

Hoping to get over to the Trent next week and will happily get the license now that I know how easy it is...
Old 13 June 2017, 14:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcake View Post
Hoping to get over to the Trent next week and will happily get the license now that I know how easy it is...
Whereabouts are you intending to go?
Old 13 June 2017, 14:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
Whereabouts are you intending to go?
I'm open to suggestions to be honest... Somewhere picturesque with maybe a riverside pub to stop at.. Any ideas?
Old 13 June 2017, 14:51   #16

Quote:
I'm open to suggestions to be honest... Somewhere picturesque with maybe a riverside pub to stop at.. Any ideas?
Depends where you are, of course. I'm between Newark and Grantham so my nearest slip is at Farndon, a couple of miles outside Newark on Trent. The slip is free with easy access and parking, but you need a key to the padlock on the gate if you are launching from a trailer. I always assemble my boat on the slip and don't need a key. I have seen groups bypass the gates with iight boats.

Down river gets you to Newark on Trent with an option to chug slowly up the River Devon (I can get a couple of miles up there in by 310). Up river gets you to the Bromley Arms, Fiskerton: a riverside pub with it's own pontoon landing stage. Further up river is a weir, lock and island.

If you have a lock key and the time, patience and energy, you can get further.

River speed limits apply, but if there are no fishermen and you're not interfering with other water users, you can get away with planing for stretches. the Trent is wide enough that when I am on the plane, my wake doesn't break on the banks. Pat of the river is legitimately used by a water ski club anyway!

On trips from this slipway I have seen plenty of wildlife including good close up sightings of kingfishers.

I am sure there is nothing "special" about my local stretch of Trent (other than the access to the Devon) and you will find similar areas up and down the river. The nearer you get to Gainsborough and further on down to the Humber. the more it becomes tidal with muddy banks.

Have a look for other launch sites on boatlaunch.co.uk
Old 13 June 2017, 16:06   #17

Quote:
Depends where you are, of course. I'm between Newark and Grantham so my nearest slip is at Farndon, a couple of miles outside Newark on Trent. The slip is free with easy access and parking, but you need a key to the padlock on the gate if you are launching from a trailer. I always assemble my boat on the slip and don't need a key. I have seen groups bypass the gates with iight boats.

Down river gets you to Newark on Trent with an option to chug slowly up the River Devon (I can get a couple of miles up there in by 310). Up river gets you to the Bromley Arms, Fiskerton: a riverside pub with it's own pontoon landing stage. Further up river is a weir, lock and island.

If you have a lock key and the time, patience and energy, you can get further.

River speed limits apply, but if there are no fishermen and you're not interfering with other water users, you can get away with planing for stretches. the Trent is wide enough that when I am on the plane, my wake doesn't break on the banks. Pat of the river is legitimately used by a water ski club anyway!

On trips from this slipway I have seen plenty of wildlife including good close up sightings of kingfishers.

I am sure there is nothing "special" about my local stretch of Trent (other than the access to the Devon) and you will find similar areas up and down the river. The nearer you get to Gainsborough and further on down to the Humber. the more it becomes tidal with muddy banks.

Have a look for other launch sites on boatlaunch.co.uk
I'm heading over from Stockport. I have a campervan and will be touring around for a few days. Thanks to you Mike, I now have a plan [emoji2]. Really great help from everyone who has replied so far
Old 13 June 2017, 16:26   #18

Quote:
I'm heading over from Stockport. I have a campervan and will be touring around for a few days. Thanks to you Mike, I now have a plan [emoji2]. Really great help from everyone who has replied so far
If your plan includes the area I described, the access to the River Devon is through the second (further downstream) marina that you get to. Creep quietly through the marina and under the road bridge.
Old 13 June 2017, 18:08   #19

Quote:
If your plan includes the area I described, the access to the River Devon is through the second (further downstream) marina that you get to. Creep quietly through the marina and under the road bridge.
Nice one, thanks for the advice. I'll be following your advice and can't wait
Old 13 June 2017, 18:52   #20

Town: North wales
Make: Europa Sport
Engine: Johnson 25
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170521_140638820.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	120070

This was a few weeks back on the river Dee.

Obviously have to have insurance.
But I pay the £20 daily launch fee. And literally within 2 minutes the warden comes asking for document. Although he's a fairly nice chap.