Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
How come nether of you use the bow bag?
I stuff all sorts of stuff in it!
I think for me I just prefer the flexibility of different size dry bags and the ease of carrying them - also they tuck in nicely and free up room.

Old 07 May 2016, 18:19   #12

Town: Sussex
Beautiful out there today, mill pond flat at times. Launched at Rye, upriver for lunch then out to see the newly reopened pier at Hastings. My young lad and his Uncle in pics:

Old 08 May 2016, 04:00   #13

Try again:

Old 08 May 2016, 04:56   #14

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
What a brilliant calm day for a first 2016 outing... well judged.
Old 08 May 2016, 09:27   #15

Cheers David, that was as rough as it got, glassy most of the time. The old 15 did well with the extra 13 stone over our normal load. Also made a new anti splash deflector which worked well.
Old 08 May 2016, 16:38   #16

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Looks like a great day out there Max, we too had lots of fun in the sun it did however get quite choppy in the afternoon so we had to keep the speed down when heading into the swell (or wife/daughter would have not stopped grumbling)...

I might not have an Aerotec, but my Honwave is of similar size and I'm still trying to find the perfect rigging/load carriage arrangement.

Currently using multiple dry bags and karibiners but it's not quite working for me.

Today we had picnic, lots of water, spare clothes, ringo & rope, fishing rods and a few other bits & bobs but trying to keep everything dry, clean and organised was nightmarish. And as soon as you hit the swell things quickly start moving around no matter how well strapped on they first appear.

I'm thinking one big dry bag might be the best for most things and then simply one or two smaller ones for the anchor and ringo to try and keep inside the boat dry.

The Essex/Norfolk/Suffolk mud is never going to help things either!
Old 09 May 2016, 02:49   #17

Yes, the more people and gear the worse it gets - you're the captain so insist everyone brings the bare minimum necessary and all needs to be stowed away. I use the Pelicase for anything heavy or delicate and all clothes etc go in the dry bag both are secured down so they don't bounce. Just a case of tucking everything away as much as possible and keeping the bags down to a minimum. Not easy though once skis or ringos come into play.

Mud - you wouldn't think we get any here but launching at Rye there is plenty on the slips - like an idiot I left my son holding the engine upright while we lifted the boat, as we did this we turned, the boat hit the leg and over goes my son and the 15 hp - splat - both fell right into the slimy mess, luckily no damage to either precious item.
Old 09 May 2016, 04:08   #18

The previous anti-splash plate...

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/bombard...tml#post687158

...fell off after not too long.

So made up the one below fixed to the transom wood plate, worked better than the engine mounted one for sure. It's flexible but still fairly rigid if that makes sense so won't break if knocked.

Old 09 May 2016, 19:06   #19

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Kids, wife, fishing, picnic, towing... Stig you're soon going to need a bigger boat!

Fishing... I'm not a fisherman but have the basic gear.. but in the end we stopped taking it out as no-one really had patience to fish when more boating could be done.... so that cut down on one set of stuff.

Towing... well not really our thing however much fun.

Picnics... bottle of water each and a bag of jelly babies if they're lucky.

Mud... I don't care that your shoes were dry paddle in clean water until the mud is swished off before you get in the boat. Same rule for the dog.

Pic below of our setup out today... take away the lifejackets in the bow and that's about how it looks.

Neat bracket Max and I think you've pretty well narrowed it down to the design needed if a transom block won't cure it.

I really can't believe our luck that with a modest 20-25mm block there is not one jot of splash with the Suzuki DF20 and that allows the tightest/fastest of turns and quick progress in rollercoaster waves without a hint of ventilation.

I was trialling the Garmin depth transducer today on a bit of wood g-clamped to the transom in a guestimated position.... that did give rise to a little splash but more left astern than over the transom.... and I've probably got it in a bit deep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rigged at Mersea.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	112560  
Old 10 May 2016, 03:04   #20

Looks good David, I do like a grey boat. No covering on your floor? How is the performance of the 20 now you have had it a while - WOT, cruising speed etc? And noise level at these speeds? The 2 stroke 15 is a noisy old beast...

With the anti-splash guard I ended up just mounting through the two lower ply holes and it seems fine in that position.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/bombard...tml#post687061