Old 03 March 2010, 22:06   #1

Town: Labrador City
Make: Zodiac Futura MK3
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda bf50a
Ribnet inspired zodiac

I just wanted to post some pictures of my Futura, I have been spending endless hours reading through this forum enjoying the massive amounts of information on Inflatables and engines.
I purchased a used Futura Mk3 1997 (excellent condition) with a Honda 50 early this winter and have spent some time modifying the boat to suit my 6'5" height and fishing needs. I only managed to get one 50 mile ride in before the temperatures dropped and the lakes froze solid.
Still some work to complete like fishing rod holders and a mounting a suitable fish finder, these are the next things on my list.

Thanks again RibNet and members for hosting such a rich environment for RIBs and SIBs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	49552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 006.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	49553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 007.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	49554  
Old 03 March 2010, 22:12   #2

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvaz View Post
I just wanted to post some pictures of my Futura, I have been spending endless hours reading through this forum enjoying the massive amounts of information on Inflatables and engines.
I purchased a used Futura Mk3 1997 (excellent condition) with a Honda 50 early this winter and have spent some time modifying the boat to suit my 6'5" height and fishing needs. I only managed to get one 50 mile ride in before the temperatures dropped and the lakes froze solid.
Still some work to complete like fishing rod holders and a mounting a suitable fish finder, these are the next things on my list.

Thanks again RibNet and members for hosting such a rich environment for RIBs and SIBs
Cracking sib there mate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,can i ask were do you get them SEATS from?i see you have one your steering console sits on,,,,,,,,,i have tried everywere,,,,and no one on here knows so far?ANYBODY?
Old 03 March 2010, 22:27   #3

The seats I found on Ebay from EBAY store "The Smart Farmer" I had to shop around for a while until I found reasonable shipping to my remote location. EBAY ITEM#230399696164 (there is a few colors available) I had to modify these units removing the slider feature as this feature is not required, and saves weight.
I mounted the steering on system on a 3 drawer modified tool box. Proto/stanley brand model# J9993 I have seen other brands with the same dimensions. The drawers I figured will be useful for fishing supplies and any small tools I night need. The flip top opening is not very accessible as I would have to flip open the attached console...I will probably just store emergency items such as my spare prop.
Old 03 March 2010, 23:41   #4

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Nice ride there ruvaz. Sure wish I had the extra length of the mk3!

Depending on your use you may find that the console will torque the top of the tool box. Ah, but I abuse my poor inflatable and launch off waves so the console really takes some load.

I think Thornblackflound is referring to the Zodiac track mounted bench that is under your tractor seats and the console assembly. They are original Zodiac sliding bench seats that attach to the track that is integral with the aluminum floor. Available from Zodiac for some obscene amount of cash. Here in California they pop up on Craigslist or E-Bay occasionally. I got my third set of rails without the seat board off Craigslist. In the end my tractor seat / track seat combo rocked a bit and the seat supports wore away part of the track. I ended up replacing the OEM seat supports with a fixed mount. For more reasonable use the track system works just fine and the adjustability is nice. The Zodiac track is an odd shape, if you don't have the track on your boat already it would be hard to duplicate.

Be sure to post pics of your boat on the water and a few with all those fish you will be landing!

Old 04 March 2010, 07:02   #5

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
That's a cracking looking boat

Well done.
Old 04 March 2010, 07:07   #6

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvaz View Post

You dont look 6 foot 5" to me....
Old 04 March 2010, 15:23   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Very nice job. Clever design, and the seats look quite good (as well as appearing functional and confortable.)

I'd be a little concerned with the tool box rusting, but that may be less of an issue if you're normally in fresh water.

jky
Old 04 March 2010, 23:24   #8

Thanks for the input.KELSON...i have read all of your posts and took the tractor seats idea from your SIB. I fully understand the concern with the track wear. I will give it a try for this season and probably modify like yours next winter. I really want to get a larger gas tank, when i find a suitable one i will design my seat mounts so it fits nicely underneath like yours.
Old 04 March 2010, 23:36   #9

Labrador Fishing

Figured I would add some Labrador fish picks from last season. My Zodiac should allow me to travel much farther and hopefully land some bigger ones!

I'll be sure to post some Zod on water picks, as soon as the lake unfreeze!

26lb Lake Trout and some "speckle" trouts pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Foto 009.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	49567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Northern Lights 048.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	49568   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1866.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	49569  
Old 05 March 2010, 00:18   #10

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures with the zodiac in remote locations! That sure looks likes some great fishing. The stability of the inflatable makes for a killer fishing platform, though the last time I took out a crew in Mex they got tired of me saying "Don't HOOK the boat". I have got to give that fresh water action a try! Seen any bears recently? I only have to deal with Federales...
Old 26 May 2010, 15:42   #11

Labrador Fishing Trip 1

Ossokmanuan lake/River system: Got to try out the Futura this long weekend, the fishing was not all that great but being only the second time I have launched my Zodiac the trip was fun. I'm still limited to the rivers in our area as the lakes are still thawing. I had to deal with large amounts of ice flow all weekend, which was kind of fun landing on the ice pans and fishing from them.
I finished modifying my SIB adding the fish finder and rod holders now i'm ready for the fishing trips.

Google maps:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...13797&t=h&z=16
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01388.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	51380   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01441.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	51381   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01399.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	51382   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01400.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	51383  
Old 26 May 2010, 23:08   #12

That looks so cool... the boat and the temp! The Futura looks great. I'm still catching a chill from the snow around the lake... it was 75 and warm on Canyon Lake today. Ha. How do you like the tractor seats? Sure beats the bench pads Zodiac puts on. Will your fishfinder work at higher speeds or does the futura suck too much air under the boat. I'm tempted to move my sensor. I'm sure everyone here wants to see more fish! Dang, You guys sure have some killer fishing up north, but we have more girls in less clothes out on the water
Old 27 May 2010, 00:12   #13

Thanks Kelson, I love the seats and my buddy's really like the ride. This was the first time i tested the fish finder and it does not work at high speeds I might try locating it again but i need to roam around the various web forums trying to locate the proper position for a Zodiac....maybe there is none? I'll leave the seats for this season and more than likely set them directly to the floor and get them off the sloppy track seating. I have another expedition fishing trip with a bunch of seadooer's and jet boats. I will more than likely be the donkey and carry the bulk of the gear and gas cans!

The pics were of a large river system, the lake in our area are frozen solid and i have buddies who are still traveling on snowmobiles to their camps!

I'll post some pics throughout the season,,,,,,love the Zodiacs
Old 27 May 2010, 00:46   #14

I was hoping you had hit on the magic solution to fish finder placement. My speed tubes are glued inside of the main tubes to the floor (newer zodiac speed tubes are farther out). I moved my sensor around and never got it to work at higher speeds. I think there is too much air getting sucked under the boat and too much turbulent water flow as compared to a hard hull. I did make a bracket so I could extend the finder sensor lower into the water. That helps, but catches kelp like mad. So far I'm just happy to slow down and use the fish finder, but please let me know if you find a way to optimize the placement.

That sloppy track seating lasted a long time for me. It helped when I squirted hot glue from a glue gun into the track around the seat support bottom edge while the bench was loose. After the glue cooled I pulled the supports in a bit and put the bench back on. The custom flexible washer lasted a long time and while the assembly still had play it wasn't as bad nor did it make as much noise.

Damn fun boat! Stay warm.
Old 28 May 2010, 10:41   #15

Town: Anchorage
Make: Avon SR4
Engine: Yamaha 40
Nice boat! Thanks for the details on the seats, I've been looking around to get the same exact seats for my Searider. Nice to see that someone else is already using them and they work.
Old 28 May 2010, 13:59   #16
CJS

Town: Warsash
Make: Honwave T 3.8 ie
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 20 HP
I have to say great boat....especially those comfy looking seats!!

I have been racking my brains on a solution to fitting some descent seats to my Honwave 3.8. The problem is I have an airfloor that is not covered with alloy/ wooden slats.

Initially I thought of bolting some fold up's to the front plank they have the audacity to call a seat but was advised against it because of the twisting action when leaning backwards.

I did find what I think is a good solution on a US website - fitting an aluminium frame inside the boat straddling the airfloor which allows a swivelling helmsmans seat.

http://www.boatstogo.com/central_console.asp

Has anyone got this?
Old 28 May 2010, 14:32   #17

The aluminum frame on the floor system seems to work fairly well. I have seen it in use a couple of times. If the conditions are rough you really have to have the frame wedged in and captured tightly by the inflated tubes. Depending on your use that can be an issue.

There are a lot of different ways to install seating. You might want to check out the following link. Using rafting frames makes for solid seating, gives you plenty of structure to attach accessories or tie down to and is easily removable/reconfigurable. Just another option to consider. Be sure to check out the oar locks installed on the frame that are pictured on the second page of posts. Sure wish I could do that on my boat!
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=232263