Old 11 October 2014, 16:51   #1

Town: Wausau
Boat name: Delphinus
Make: Delphinus
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzuki DF15 hp
Rib vs. Inflateable boat

Hey fellas....been a while, no doubt. I am thinking about next spring already, as I'm sure most of you are. I have a 3' 6" (3.8mm) Sib now with the aluminum floor, 2010 model seabright, out of Nova Scotia, Canada. PVC boat, and being from Wisconsin, USA has held up marvelous, and still looks like brand new. I have used it actually quite a bit over the last 3 or so seasons. The weight is 155 lbs.(typical), and is powered by a 20 Hp 2013 Yamaha short shaft engine, rope start. I am thinking on keeping that engine, and moving on to a rib. In slight chop, or maybe a little more, that Sib will beat you to death!!!! Lol. With two people, well....you know the drill. My question is this...is a rib about the same size, and will weigh a little more, but not much more , give that much better a ride in chop than a Sib will???? My Sib cost $1600.00 at the time, and about the same size rib cost about $5000.00 to $6000.00 at least!!!!!! I could buy 3 more new sibs for that much, easy. And this is for a PVC rib, not hypalon. I hate to even ask what a hypalon rib would cost in a 12 ft. Rib. Thinking of a Walker Bay, or possibly a Achillies rib. In my mind, these Sib/ribs, are not as heavy, or long as say a traditional boat, as say a Lund, Smokercraft, alumacraft, etc...so I don't think there would be all that much difference, or am I really wrong????? I just don't want to spend a (boat load) of money, and then be VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!! Has any one on here went from a Sib to a rib, and if so, could you please compare the two, and share your experience!!!!! Thanks a bunch!!!! Sorry for the length of this post.
Old 11 October 2014, 17:26   #2

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I've spent time driving ribs and inflatables in moderately rough seas. On the whole, once you are on the water and travelling, a RIB is a "better boat" except prhaps in shallow water, beaching etc. Once you come ashore, the benefits of the inflatable come into their own: lighter, easier to store. I have always preferred SIBS for the same reason I prefer smallish motorbikes - you seldom miss the extra, and you always enjoy the convenience and economy.
Old 11 October 2014, 18:13   #3

Town: Oakland CA
A 20 may push a small RIB, reasonably well, even, but I subscribe to the "as much hp as the manufacturer allows" rule of power. You're always going to end up loaded heavier than normal (sometimes much heavier) and the power comes in handy.

You're going to trailering a RIB anyway (at least I'd hope so), so the weight won't matter that much. Or are you planning on some other transport method?

Bottom line: Look for a RIB/motor combo rather than keeping the motor from your SIB.

jky
Old 11 October 2014, 22:44   #4

Town: North Lincs
Boat name: na
Make: F-Rib 330/Excel 330
Engine: Parsun 15hp
Not all ribs are heavier. WinBoat folding rib. A 3.3mt is the same weight as my Excel air floor 3.3mt sib.

Can't say what they are like on the water until I manage to get my hands on one but read it for yourself.
WinBoat 360RF SPRINT | WinBoat ENG

Phil
Old 12 October 2014, 06:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
A 20 may push a small RIB, reasonably well, even, but I subscribe to the "as much hp as the manufacturer allows" rule of power. You're always going to end up loaded heavier than normal (sometimes much heavier) and the power comes in handy.

You're going to trailering a RIB anyway (at least I'd hope so), so the weight won't matter that much. Or are you planning on some other transport method?

Bottom line: Look for a RIB/motor combo rather than keeping the motor from your SIB.

jky
Hi this is jrzmotorcycle....I guess you kind of misunderstood me.what I meant was (weight wise),'was if a rib has a much better ride in chop than a Sib, and not beat you to death so much. Thanks for responding! Do you have any experience with a rib after driving a Sib?
Old 12 October 2014, 08:02   #6

Town: North Lincs
Boat name: na
Make: F-Rib 330/Excel 330
Engine: Parsun 15hp
Many years ago I had a Zodiac Yatchline rib, 3.4mt (I think) with a 40hp Mariner. The difference was quite apparent with far better ride in a chop, tighter turning and easier to keep in a straight line. I need to say however this rib was the type set up like a car with a bonnet, steering and two sets of seats all in grp so the weight was much heavier than my sib.
To be honest I did not get the use out of it that I did with my sibs because I had to plan when the tides were suitable and where was better to launch on the day, I live next to the River Humber where the sea goes out approx a mile so not so easy to get the times right for the spare time I had to use it. The sib won hands down in terms of quick and easy to launch on my coast so perhaps not a fair comparision but nevertheless this was my experience.

Phil
Old 12 October 2014, 13:12   #7

Thanks Phil

Thanks Phil for your reply. I guess the sport of boating is well...full of compromise. I have a Sib with a tiller handle motor. The whole set-up new with everything is in American dollars is about $6000.00. Motor new, boat, lifejackets, pump, wheels, everything. The cost of the rib alone is about that EASY!!!. Just for a better ride, better handling in turns, etc??? Is it worth it??? Up to the person I guess. Only use it what... Maybe 6-7 times a summer tops? I guess to get a rib proper, get the WHOLE set-up....console rib, with steering wheel, and at least 30 HP. Even then it is $15000.00!!! Just as much as a regular boat, but half the weight so can be towed with almost anything. Like I thought...full of compromise, and money, lol. Thanks for responding back! Joe.
Old 12 October 2014, 16:15   #8

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzmotorcycle View Post
Hi this is jrzmotorcycle....I guess you kind of misunderstood me.what I meant was (weight wise),'was if a rib has a much better ride in chop than a Sib, and not beat you to death so much. Thanks for responding! Do you have any experience with a rib after driving a Sib?
I ran a 14' Achilles SIB/Honda 40 (tiller) for about 5 years, and upped to an aluminum hulled 18' Polaris/F115. In truth, what you refer to is exactly why I went to a RIB - I wanted to do longer trips without having to pick days based on weather (well, not so much choosing anyway.)

Personally, I think most RIB's will handle rough water better than a SIB (at least as far as comfort goes.) Just the way the hull handles the impact of chop and swell.

I have had trips in the SIB where it took 45 minutes to run a couple of miles due to wind waves (interestingly, also the day a boat that anchored as we were leaving lost a diver for about 6 hours.) With the RIB that 45 minute trip would have about 6 to 10 minutes with a hell of a lot less discomfort. That is a specific example though; there are times where it gets less than comfortable in the RIB as well.

jky
Old 16 June 2015, 13:14   #9

Town: Melbourne
Boat name: itsjustgoodbusiness
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard Volvo Penta
MMSI: RO666
The bigger and heavier you go the better the ride - so it seems.

I recently bought a big Zodiac SIB. Its a MK6 and 7 meters in length. Very heavy. I am still in the process of restoring it. Quite curious on how the ride will be. I hope the hi-riders will lift the boat out the water.

My concern is the ride will be too bumpy compared to a RIB. Any-one with experience on a big SIB? I hope it will be good??
Old 16 June 2015, 14:00   #10

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heino View Post

I recently bought a big Zodiac SIB. Its a MK6 and 7 meters in length. Very heavy. I am still in the process of restoring it. Quite curious on how the ride will be. I hope the hi-riders will lift the boat out the water.

My concern is the ride will be too bumpy compared to a RIB. Any-one with experience on a big SIB? I hope it will be good??
Don't expect a soft ride in a SIB.

Proper deep-vee hull RIBs slice through the waves.

SIBs have more in common with a flat bottom boat...their keels are not very pronounced and they don't have the rigidity of a RIB. Their entire rigidity comes from the tube pressure and floorboards.

You'll probably be on plane at 10 mph though! That is the big perk to the Futura hull. Not to mention, for being 7 meters long, the boat only weighs 320 kg. The Pro Open 650 weighs in at 670 kg...over double the weight!

My FC470 has a "comfortable" cruising speed of about 15 mph with a light load in moderate chop. Anything more than that and I feel like my boat is being pounded with a battering ram.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2015, 20:21   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:

I don't think I've ever seen a SIB that big never mind ridden in one. A 7m boat is bound to be better than a 4m boat of the same type but I think you would be very lucky if a 7m SIB is better than a RIB - RIBs were invented for a reason! SIBs have their place which is why the RNLI who effectively made the rib a success still use SIBs too.
Old 16 June 2015, 22:40   #12

Town: Melbourne
Boat name: itsjustgoodbusiness
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard Volvo Penta
MMSI: RO666
I had a Zodiac Mk2C which was 4.2m in length. This boat was always nose-up before going on the plain.

With the bigger boat now I cant think it would do the same as its too long at 7m. I also hope the futura hi-riders will give a better ride.

Agreed this is not a deep V, but the weight and size of the boat should make it a good ride with flat seas. Or so I hope.
Old 17 June 2015, 15:37   #13

Town: Colorado/Arizona
Make: Saturn SD365
Engine: Suzuki 20 EFI
Winboat, best of both worlds. When get some spare cash to spend it will be my next boat.
Old 17 June 2015, 17:57   #14

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
I had a Zodiac Mk2C which was 4.2m in length. This boat was always nose-up before going on the plain.

With the bigger boat now I cant think it would do the same as its too long at 7m. I also hope the futura hi-riders will give a better ride.

Agreed this is not a deep V, but the weight and size of the boat should make it a good ride with flat seas. Or so I hope.
Pretty much any planing hull, regardless of length, will lift at the bow as it climbs over the 'hump' and onto the plane.

I had a 4.7m Futura and it performed just like the 3.5m Mk1, quick lively and skimmed over the waves. Like all Futura's you need a brave throttle hand to get the best from it

Tags
rib