Old 05 November 2007, 10:15   #1

Town: London
Length: 4m +
RIB or full inflatable?

Morning all,

I've been perusing this excellent forum, and thought I'd wade in for some advice, I grew up around boats and as a child I used to have a small Zodiac inflatable complete with an 8hp Mariner, excellent fun, and I fancy buying an inflatable for use on the coast / holidays but mainly for messing around on the Thames.

I live about a mile from the Thames and would use one of the slipways, around Richmond / Mortlake / Twickenham etc to launch it. The idea would be to keep it on a trailer during the summer for ease of use, and during the winter fold it up and store along with the trailer stacked at the back of my garage - Living in London storage is the major issue, I have a 2 x garages full with Classic cars at the moment - so I was thinking of a full inflatable or a folding transom RIB...

What I'm after is some advice on what to go for, I don’t want to jump in and go for a full inflatable where possible it would be a compromise too far compared to a proper RIB?

Technology seems to have moved on a fair bit since I was last interested - I'd like to have room enough for 4 (large) adults to use it comfortably.

I've looked at both the Honwave 4m with 20hp Honda and the Walker Bay Genesis 3.4 (folding transom) with 15hp Mariner (both 4-strokes) has anyone got any opinions on my choices so far or any other recommendations? both come in new at about the £3k mark. I like the idea of the Honwave full inflatable as it could be folded up and taken away on holiday, the Walker Bay folds to 8ft x 3ft x 18” so not very easy to transport (but fine for storage)

Also been looking at both RIBs and Inflatables 2nd hand...hopefully to get a good deal now its the end of the season. Can anyone recommend any websites I should be looking at.

Many Thanks,

Steve.
Old 05 November 2007, 13:09   #2

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Hi Steve,

I am biased towards inflatables, partly because I sell them and partly because they the most fun you can have for the money.

What you do not get with the single keel SIBs is anything other than a shallow V hull, so you get more slam in the chop than you would with a medium or deep V with some RIBs.

Having said that, aside from being cheaper, they are also great fun - more versatile too. They also use smaller engines and so you get more zoom for your money and weight.

For what you describe I would go for a 4.3m Quicksilver, no reason why you can't get the boat, engine and trailer all new for under 3k.

http://shop.malthouse-marine.com/index.php?p=product&id=19&parent=5

Feel free to PM or call if I can help,
Martin
Old 05 November 2007, 14:47   #3

Thanks Martin,

I've tried to phone but no answer.
Old 05 November 2007, 14:52   #4

All,

Has anyone got an opinion on the Honda boat compared to the Quicksilver HD offering?

In general; what is the hierarchy of outboards? - many moons ago Mercury / Mariner used to be the "good" ones?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 05 November 2007, 15:55   #5

Town: Bristol/Devon
Boat name: Nella
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 130
Inflatable

Hi Steve,

I was in exactly the same position as you a couple of months ago, having sold my Humber 5.5 RIB.

I was looking at the Honwave with an inflatable floor, I went to the Southampton boat show to have a look and buy if I got a deal!

I ended up buying a Quicksilver 380 XS HD as Malthouse suggests. It is so much more robust than anything else around for similar money. I got it with a Yamaha 20hp 2 Stroke. The benefit of that being it is much lighter and more easily transportable than the 4 stroke. Launched it in Salcombe a couple of weeks ago and it flys with four adults aboard.

I also had launching wheels put on - which are awesome. PM if you want anymore details

Alex
Old 06 November 2007, 03:23   #6

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Steve,

Here are some recent threads about full inflatables (SIBS) that you might find helpful.

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....&highlight=SIB

Old 06 November 2007, 09:00   #7

Thanks Gents.

And thanks to Martin @ Malthouse for an informative chat.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 16 November 2007, 08:49   #8

Length: 3m +
Inflatables in Salcombe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
Hi Steve,

I was in exactly the same position as you a couple of months ago, having sold my Humber 5.5 RIB.

I was looking at the Honwave with an inflatable floor, I went to the Southampton boat show to have a look and buy if I got a deal!

I ended up buying a Quicksilver 380 XS HD as Malthouse suggests. It is so much more robust than anything else around for similar money. I got it with a Yamaha 20hp 2 Stroke. The benefit of that being it is much lighter and more easily transportable than the 4 stroke. Launched it in Salcombe a couple of weeks ago and it flys with four adults aboard.

I also had launching wheels put on - which are awesome. PM if you want anymore details

Alex
Hi Alex

I was reading this thread with great interest as I'm in a similar position to Steve, though like yourself would want to use the boat down in Salcombe. Even better, I notice that you also holiday in/live in Slapton!

My dilemma is that I've been looking at inflatables as they seem the ideal boat for Salcombe where the tide moves so fast. (I beached a hire boat one day and had to get the ferry tractor on South Sands to pull me off! I wished I'd been in an inflatable.)

However, I'd like to venture beyond the harbour, around to Bigbury or even up to Slapton and Blackpool Sands.

My feeling is that this would be too much of an ask for a 4m inflatable - I've been looking at a Quicksilver or Excel with a 30/40hp engine.

Do you venture beyond the harbour? Or am I looking at completely the wrong type of boat for this?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Simon
Old 16 November 2007, 09:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordy View Post
Do you venture beyond the harbour? Or am I looking at completely the wrong type of boat for this?
Hi Simon,

I know this was not directed at me, but I can deffinately offer you some assurances that the Quicksilver 4.3m Heavy Inflatable is very capable in open water.

Our demo boat is almost always that mid-range model and we usually power them with a 25HP even though they will take a 30, you get more slap from the hull as it is not the deepest of Vs but they are very sturdy even in fiesty seas. We use them in the Channel and Thames Esturay, neither of which are known for being gentle waters.

If you want cheap, light and fun then go for an SIB.

If you are after all weather comfort then go for a RIB.
Old 16 November 2007, 12:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
Hi Simon,

I know this was not directed at me, but I can deffinately offer you some assurances that the Quicksilver 4.3m Heavy Inflatable is very capable in open water.

Our demo boat is almost always that mid-range model and we usually power them with a 25HP even though they will take a 30, you get more slap from the hull as it is not the deepest of Vs but they are very sturdy even in fiesty seas. We use them in the Channel and Thames Esturay, neither of which are known for being gentle waters.

If you want cheap, light and fun then go for an SIB.

If you are after all weather comfort then go for a RIB.
Thanks Martin - have been reading some of your other posts - you obviously know a thing or two about inflatables!!

As it'll be a family boat - 3 kids 14, 12 & 10 - safety will be a very important factor, which is why I was perhaps veering towards RIB, as choppy water and SIBs don't seem to be a good mix.

But then I have to consider storage I suppose.

Like Steve, I live in London, not too far from Thames, so would like to get some use out of it up here, but main requirement would be for summer hols down in Salcombe and similar.

A SIB I could pack away and put in my garden shed - a RIB may have to be a permanent fixture on my front drive. Not very sightly in the middle of Wimbledon!

And then I have to consider transport. I drive a Golf - not much use for towing a RIB I suppose?

So many decisions!!!!!
Old 16 November 2007, 12:25   #11
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:

And then I have to consider transport. I drive a Golf - not much use for towing a RIB I suppose?

A golf would be ok to tow with as long as you don't buy something over about 5m and use a rope on steep slips.

I wonder how many people buy inflatables thinking they can pack them away then don't use them because of the hassle of setting them up?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2007, 12:27   #12

Quote:
As it'll be a family boat - 3 kids 14, 12 & 10 - safety will be a very important factor, which is why I was perhaps veering towards RIB, as choppy water and SIBs don't seem to be a good mix.
I take my little lad out regularly (with a good lifejacket/harness wrapped round him) and have never worried for his safety. A couple of years ago when he was 3 or 4 we went round North Foreland to watch the airshow, we were out all day and he was fine as were the two gowd ups.

The shallow V is good for low speed or stationary stability, which is very handy. With kids on board you are probably not going to be travelling flat out all the time, to the high-speed comfort of a RIB is less of an issue. Don't forget you can still have a console in a SIB.

Having said all of that, I am in the market for an old Avon Searider - so I can certainly see the benefits of either case.

Storage is a big plus, the 4.3m folds down and stows into two bags; the biggest (tubes) being about 5'x3'x2' when packed loosely.
Old 16 November 2007, 12:54   #13

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Hernia prevention

Shed,

if you're looking at portability I would absolutely second Black's "go 2- stroke" comment. (quick example from the Tohatsooo brochure - the 18Hp 2- stroke is 10Kg lighter than the 4 - stroke!) 2- strokes are also not quite so fussy how they lie in your car boot, as long as you don't lift the prop higher than the power head. An older premix engine will also lighten it up a bit - the oil injection gear & a couple of litres of oil do make a difference!

Also one to watch out for- a lot of the manufacturers use one block for two or three horsepowers. e.g my old Suz 25 was a derated 30. Made it a bl**dy heavy 25, but not bad when compared to other 30s. It varies from make to make & model to model, but worth keeping half an eye on.

Hope this helps......
Old 16 November 2007, 13:02   #14

Hi Simon,

I should have updated this thread sooner...

I have settled on an Excel Inflatable the XHD430 very similar to the quicksilver boat as far as I can see, complimented by a 30hp Mercury 2 Stroke. I plan to take out 4 adults (incl. 2 x reluctant mariners!) and wanted to make it as "comfortable" as possible so would have thought the 380 might be a bit on the small side.

As you say storage is a major issue, and the Excel (along with the Quicksilver that Martin sells) will fold down to two bags, one with the boat and another with the floor (in 4 sections) / oars / pump etc. very easy to store along my with my other toys.

I am seeing a local trailer builder on Saturday, with a view to making a trailer that dismantles and is then easily storable too. I can then keep the boat inflated with the engine installed and all ready to go in the summer... (I can see inflating/deflating every time will be a chore if you want a quick few hours)
I can then store the whole package for the winter (and can even pack everything - including the trailer - in the car if I want to take it on holiday / to the coast - I have a big car )

Good luck, and if you need any pointers (all the possible options have been going round and round in my head for months!) drop me a line... I'm in Twickenham and your more than welcome to have a look at the boat / outboard size.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 16 November 2007, 13:08   #15

Hi 92D80,

See above - I heeded your advice even before it was given!

Cheers,

Steve
Old 16 November 2007, 13:22   #16

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
The Ribnet time machine is obviously working today!!!!

Enjoy your new toy, should be a hoot 1 up!
Old 16 November 2007, 13:30   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed78 View Post
Hi Simon,

I should have updated this thread sooner...

I have settled on an Excel Inflatable the XHD430 very similar to the quicksilver boat as far as I can see, complimented by a 30hp Mercury 2 Stroke. I plan to take out 4 adults (incl. 2 x reluctant mariners!) and wanted to make it as "comfortable" as possible so would have thought the 380 might be a bit on the small side.

As you say storage is a major issue, and the Excel (along with the Quicksilver that Martin sells) will fold down to two bags, one with the boat and another with the floor (in 4 sections) / oars / pump etc. very easy to store along my with my other toys.

I am seeing a local trailer builder on Saturday, with a view to making a trailer that dismantles and is then easily storable too. I can then keep the boat inflated with the engine installed and all ready to go in the summer... (I can see inflating/deflating every time will be a chore if you want a quick few hours)
I can then store the whole package for the winter (and can even pack everything - including the trailer - in the car if I want to take it on holiday / to the coast - I have a big car )

Good luck, and if you need any pointers (all the possible options have been going round and round in my head for months!) drop me a line... I'm in Twickenham and your more than welcome to have a look at the boat / outboard size.

Cheers,

Steve
Remarkable coincidence Steve - I work in Twickenham and I've just asked for a quote on an Excel XHD430 with a 30hp!! (I did ask for 4 stroke, though from what I have read a 2 stroke will be a lot lighter - quite important for a 30hp I expect.) I went for it for exactly the same reasons as you, though I'm just trying to get an idea on price at the moment.

You make a very good point about keeping the boat inflated on a trailer during the summer, so I'd be fascinated to hear more about the trailer you're talking about. We occasionally hire boats from a boatyard in Surbiton, but if we had our own sitting on the drive on a summer's day I'm sure we'd go out alot more often.

Have you taken the boat out yet? I'm still slightly indecisive about the floor having read some very positive threads about air decks, though I did come across a thread where an airdeck appeared to fold vertically in the chop! So then I got thinking about a RIB, but a wooden/aluminium floor seems to be a happy middle-ground.

I may well take you up on your offer to visit and see your boat/outboard size, though I imagine you've packed it away for the winter now?

Cheers,

Simon
Old 16 November 2007, 14:21   #18

Simon,

Drop me an email and I'll send you my number if you need any info.

stevehodder@blueyonder.co.uk

Cheers,

Steve
Old 16 November 2007, 15:58   #19

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed78 View Post
I can then keep the boat inflated with the engine installed and all ready to go in the summer... (I can see inflating/deflating every time will be a chore if you want a quick few hours)
A 12V electric pump will save you a lot of footpumping. You can get a fast pump that will inflate to about a a pound and a half, and top up with the footpump, or get a slower pump that will go to your desired pressure (no footpump needed.)

Good luck with the new toy;

jky
Old 17 November 2007, 09:48   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
A 12V electric pump will save you a lot of footpumping.
Very true, I use a self contained rechargeable type that sells for around 20 quid. Just as you say, get the bulk of the air in with no effort and then get the tubes up to pressure with a proper pump.