Old 19 November 2007, 02:39   #21

Town: lincoln
Boat name: blazer
Make: BWM
Length: 6m +
Engine: YAMAHA 115hp
MMSI: 235059902
One small point for what its worth do take precautions against little furry creatures when storing in a shed they seem to love what inflatables are made of. I speak from experiance they have turned what was a new boat into a very secound hand patched up hopefully still inflatable

Old 19 November 2007, 04:00   #22

Town: Bristol/Devon
Boat name: Orca
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Johnson 15hp
Send a message via MSN to Black
SIB's

Hi,

Sorry Lordy missed your post - been down at our place in Slapton. Took the boat out from Salcombe while we were down there.

Well pleased with it, so thanks again to Pete at Blue Water Marine in Salcombe. I have to say again that it would be, in my eyes, useless without the launching wheels on the transom, and a decent electric pump. I got my pump from Ribshop on here.

On Saturday afternoon it was blowing what I guess was a F4 wind over tide out at the bar and my 380 XSHD coped admirably, of course it would have been more comfy in my old 5.5 metre Humber, but for convenience and price these little boats are sooooo much fun!!

Al

Old 19 November 2007, 05:08   #23

Town: London
Thanks Al

Very envious - wish I'd been down in Salcombe this week-end!

Quick couple more questions, if I may? (Having not had a boat since I worked in Middle East many years ago, I'm all questions I'm afraid.)

Do you store the boat down there at all, or do you just deflate and re-inflate when you get down there? Does that take long?

And where do you launch from - I assume the car park at Batson Creek? The comment you make on transom wheels has got my attention.

Oh, and how far out of the harbour would you feel safe to venture? Would you go around to Hope Cove, or Bigbury, or even Slapton?

Thanks again Al,

Simon
Old 20 November 2007, 12:10   #24

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 75
With a fairly flat sea (i.e. morning calm suitable for water skiing) we have been round from Salcombe to Hope Cove, Thurlestone, Bantham and Bigbury quite happily (2 adults + 2 children). This was in a Zodiac Futura 4.2m with a 50hp Yamaha. This is trailered and launched at Batson Creek.

In a 3m inflatable (no speed tubes) with a 5hp Tohatsu we found it hard work even crossing Starehole Bay with the children (then 5 & 9) since we were getting thrown about quite a lot. This was inflated (electric pump) at Batson Creek and walked down the slip with some home made ex golf trolley wheels - the whole package including outboard sat in the boot of an estate car with some room for clothes & food on top. This package was great whilst the children were smaller for beach hopping and getting to various pubs up creeks, but the Futura is better now they want to travel further and do some water skiing.
Old 20 November 2007, 15:02   #25

Simon,

Yes I keep the boat in a garage at our house. Recently I have been inflating at Batson and then popping it on the roof of my car and taking it back to rinse and dry before rolling up. In the season I can see myself leaving it inflated all summer and putting on the roof to head down to the water.

The wheels as Codprawn on here has said in the past are an absolute must, the package is truely useless with out them, yes you could use a trailer, but that defeats the object of an SIB, and what are you going to do when you want to pull it up the beach? I've tried to attach a couple of photos. I really wish that the traders would just add them to the package and reflect it in the price. As when you have a 48kg engine on the back of a 100kg boat you aren't going to be lifting it yourself!!

With regards to how far out, this weekend (and bear in mind my boat has an Ali floor) we went out to Stairhole Bay, it was bloody lumpy and with a friend we had a right laugh. We were fully togged up with lifejackets, and our grab bag with all the essentials in. I wouldn't have wanted to be out there in anything less sturdy than my boat.

Any other questions just ask - or PM me.

Best
Al
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA130091.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	31414   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA140095.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	31415   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA140096.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	31416  
Old 21 November 2007, 10:01   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleAbout View Post
With a fairly flat sea (i.e. morning calm suitable for water skiing) we have been round from Salcombe to Hope Cove, Thurlestone, Bantham and Bigbury quite happily (2 adults + 2 children). This was in a Zodiac Futura 4.2m with a 50hp Yamaha. This is trailered and launched at Batson Creek.

In a 3m inflatable (no speed tubes) with a 5hp Tohatsu we found it hard work even crossing Starehole Bay with the children (then 5 & 9) since we were getting thrown about quite a lot. This was inflated (electric pump) at Batson Creek and walked down the slip with some home made ex golf trolley wheels - the whole package including outboard sat in the boot of an estate car with some room for clothes & food on top. This package was great whilst the children were smaller for beach hopping and getting to various pubs up creeks, but the Futura is better now they want to travel further and do some water skiing.
Thanks BA! I'm really starting to get a much clearer picture of what I need. Sounds like a 3.8m with a 20hp might be a bit under-specced. (My kids are 14, 12 and 10)

Quick couple of questions, if I may?

Do you keep your boat trailered at Batson Creek throughout the year?

And - forgive me for sounding stupid - what are speed tubes?

Many thanks again,

Simon
Old 22 November 2007, 04:47   #27

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordy View Post
Do you keep your boat trailered at Batson Creek throughout the year?

And - forgive me for sounding stupid - what are speed tubes?

Many thanks again,

Simon
Sadly we live in Buckingamshire (miles from the sea in every direction), so the Zodiac is towed down each time we visit Devon - but I do have some ideas for packing it in the back of the Land Rover (it's a bit heavy to lift with the outboard still bolted on). I had got used to taking the SIB out of the boot and inflating it, so I didn't really want to tow a trailer around - but actually it tows as if it isn't there, so it is not a problem.

Speed tubes are simply additional inflated tubes of about 6-8" diameter under the sponsons. They provide a catamaran effect (on the plane the whole boat rises up and only these tubes are in the water) and a tunnel effect where air is pushed into the tunnel between the two tubes to maintain lift.

The Zodiac has an shallow inflated v hull between the tubes (not quite sure why), but I think that the Gemini 470 design (just speed tubes) is better - if you search for Gemini in these forums, then prairie tuber has some photographs. The Zapcat/ Thundercat designs takes this further with a higher deck (bigger tunnel to scoop more air).

We seat 5 because I added a rear locker to house the battery and petrol tank with two cushons on the lid. This also gives a little security for mooring overnight at Whitestrand (petrol disconnected and battery isolated under a padlocked locker lid). You can buy additional bench seats from Zodiac, but it takes away the fun of building your own (and costs a small fortune) !

In the end, everything is a compromise, but our current needs are :-
- Travel up the creeks - Frogmore/ Southpool/ Kingsbridge or beaches around the Salcombe estuary (ria) with a very shallow draught
- be able to water ski/ ringo behind the boat
- travel round to Dartmouth/ Bantham/ Bigbury etc
- not take up too much space back at home (can be deflated and stored in 2 bags in the garage if necessary)

If we wanted to travel further in rougher conditions, then a RIB would be the best choice.
Old 22 November 2007, 05:26   #28

Thanks again BA - it's remarkably reassuring to hear you refer to the exact places I want to use the boat. And your needs are exactly the same as mine. I'll keep an eye out for you at Whitestrand next summer!

Also very pleased to hear you can make it around to Dartmouth. We all like the beach at Blackpool Sands, so sounds like we'd be able to motor around there in a boat. How long does that sort of journey take?

And very interesting to hear about the speed tubes. I have been in touch with prairie tuber and seen his photos. Now I understand better. But are these a unique patent to Zodiac? I can't remember having seen them on any other boats I've looked at, though I have seen the Zapcats. A bit too racey, methinks!

The rear locker also answered a question I had about electric start outboards. which I assume you have. My carpentry skills, however, leave much to be desired!!

Thanks again BA!!
Old 22 November 2007, 05:57   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
Simon,

Yes I keep the boat in a garage at our house. Recently I have been inflating at Batson and then popping it on the roof of my car and taking it back to rinse and dry before rolling up. In the season I can see myself leaving it inflated all summer and putting on the roof to head down to the water.

The wheels as Codprawn on here has said in the past are an absolute must, the package is truely useless with out them, yes you could use a trailer, but that defeats the object of an SIB, and what are you going to do when you want to pull it up the beach? I've tried to attach a couple of photos. I really wish that the traders would just add them to the package and reflect it in the price. As when you have a 48kg engine on the back of a 100kg boat you aren't going to be lifting it yourself!!

With regards to how far out, this weekend (and bear in mind my boat has an Ali floor) we went out to Stairhole Bay, it was bloody lumpy and with a friend we had a right laugh. We were fully togged up with lifejackets, and our grab bag with all the essentials in. I wouldn't have wanted to be out there in anything less sturdy than my boat.

Any other questions just ask - or PM me.

Best
Al
Thanks again Al.

I hadn't thought about putting it on the roof, but as I live in town I drive a small car (Golf) so that may restrict length of boat I chose.

Great pictures of the wheels, btw. You make a very good point about weight, so I think they'll be the first little extra I'll buy...though probably not the last!

Have been talking with a few Zodiac owners and it sounds like they are pretty sturdy boats. BumbleAbout has even been around to Dartmouth from Salcombe, though probably not in the middle of winter. How far have you got in the Summer? I had been shifting my sights below 4m/30hp, but it sounds like that's what I'd need to get about without it becoming too lumpy. Good to hear that you're getting the boat out in the middle of winter though - you're a braver man than me!!
Old 22 November 2007, 06:17   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordy View Post
Thanks again Al.

I hadn't thought about putting it on the roof, but as I live in town I drive a small car (Golf) so that may restrict length of boat I chose.

Great pictures of the wheels, btw. You make a very good point about weight, so I think they'll be the first little extra I'll buy...though probably not the last!

Have been talking with a few Zodiac owners and it sounds like they are pretty sturdy boats. BumbleAbout has even been around to Dartmouth from Salcombe, though probably not in the middle of winter. How far have you got in the Summer? I had been shifting my sights below 4m/30hp, but it sounds like that's what I'd need to get about without it becoming too lumpy. Good to hear that you're getting the boat out in the middle of winter though - you're a braver man than me!!
I only picked the boat up a couple of weeks ago, so haven't had the joys of summer boating yet. Can't wait for next year though!

Al