Old 10 May 2012, 17:46   #1

Town: West Midlands
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard 15 Mariner
Review of honwave 3.2

One word to sum it up.

CRAP.

Swapped inflatable for a honwave 3.2. Recieved it still in box. taken it out of the box and inflated, there are creases everywhere to the point where they have worn through the material and the woven mesh enforcement behind it is coming through. there are many parts on the boat where things are not glued properly or glued poorly. D link patches lifting up, Grab rail patch lifting, floor part where bonded to boat lifting and no glue in a few of these places at all. NOT what i expected from a honda inflatable.

The floor bulges under speed at correct inflation pressure as ive been on one before which does the same.

looks nice but doesnt look like it would last 2 minutes.
now im left with all this to sort out under "warranty"
Old 10 May 2012, 17:51   #2

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions

Where did you get it from. If i had opened it up like that it would have been straight back under warranty for an exchange or a refund. You probabaly shouldnt have used it if you were not happy when you took it out the box, but in all honesty the supplier still has to change it or repair it under the consumer act.

I had a Waveline inflatable wihich broke after 6 months, they simply sent me out a new one and i then sent the old one back. I suppose they are pennies to them.

Did it come from a genuine supplier, if so, take it back and sort it out. If they open up another box and its the same, then its not fit for purpose and grab your money and run.
Old 10 May 2012, 17:59   #3

i havnt used it. problem i have it it was brought through somebody else but is only a week old!! it was brought from a dealer but they brouight it then i brought it from them. misplaced warranty card during the time so im trying to get hold of the warranty card and get it sorted.
Old 10 May 2012, 18:09   #4

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
I mis read the part about the floor then.

Hmmm, that could make it a bit more difficult. Do you know the person, if so, i'd be going with them to the dealer and hopefully it will get sorted. The dealer will of course know the buyer and should be helpful, should.....
Old 10 May 2012, 20:30   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I have a 3.5 Honwave bought new last year and it was perfect out of the box and still is... I've rarely heard of Honwave quality complaints.

I wonder where this one was bought because it sounds like a reject or second. Did the oars and small parts come in plastic bags with wire twists?

I don't know if a Honwave warranty can be transferred, hopefully so.

>>>The floor bulges under speed at correct inflation pressure as ive been on one before which does the same.

It seems like you're saying you know the floor bulges because you've been on one before... why on earth buy one then?
Old 10 May 2012, 22:44   #6

Yes bags with wire twists why you ask?

And i was on a 3.8 i didnt think 3.2 would have problem being shorter.. It looks as if the material doesnt like to be creased while in bag.

Wouldnt buy one again. Hopefully get this one sorted.
Old 10 May 2012, 22:50   #7

Town: Bury
Boat name: O' ALCHEMY
Make: Honwave 3.8 IE
Engine: Honda 15hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235905781
Hi there,
I have a Honwave 3.8m, used it on Lakes and on the sea, never had a problem.
Top quality in my opinion

Have to say that when mine came out of the box the bags were sealed, not a plastic or wire twist in sight. Sounds like a second or reject to me

Jake
Old 11 May 2012, 00:17   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Aquaholic
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 V8
Send a message via Skype™ to benc
I have two 3.2s at the moment, and can't fault the quality. Also, I do note notice the bulging other than when going from displacement speeds to planing. Also, both mine live in there bags, and neither have the creasing issues you're talking about and both are a couple of years old.

I think if you took it back to a honwave dealer and had a receipt or could prove it was purchased I think they would replace it without issue. It would go back to manufacturers for Inspection no doubt.

I love my honwaves and would definitely buy one again
Old 11 May 2012, 07:49   #9

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I asked about the twist ties as mine was new from a Honda Marine dealer last Sept and specially ordered from Honda so not opened at the dealership. All the small plastic bags that the oars, floor stringers, pump etc came in were secured with plastic covered wire twists... if yours was the same it's less likely it had been opened before.

Just looked at my Honwave warranty. It is transferrable to a second owner but by sending off a tear-out card from the original warranty booklet.

Interestingly they say the warranty will be honoured with proof of purchase either by the warranty book or original Honda dealer receipt.

You haven't said where you sourced this boat and my worry still would be it might have been one that was known to be faulty (such as a return that had somehow found its way out of a dealers) so the warranty wouldn't apply. They should be able to trace that from its serial number though.

Photos of the defects would be interesting for the forum to see... I'd certainly inflate it and get a good set taken for your own evidence before it goes back to a dealer.
Old 11 May 2012, 10:35   #10

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
I keep my Honwave folded down my bed for 11 months a year so I just have used it only 2 months. To me, it's a good boat.
If the boat is fine for 3 years more, I'll stay with it; and whenever the time arrives to change, I'll replace for the same manufacturer, same model, and interchange the plates, so I do not have to register the boat again!
Old 11 May 2012, 11:17   #11

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Are you sure it's a genuine 'Honwave' not a copy of some sort?? - never read anything like this about Honwaves before and near impossible to believe a boat truly as bad as you describe out of the box would ever leave a Honda (approved/controlled) sub-contractors manufacturing plant QC department...
Old 11 May 2012, 11:46   #12

First of all its genuine. Second it was still in box and was brought only 8 days ago from a main honda dealer. It has now been returned there to try and sort the problems out. The warranty card was misplaced with the previous person who brought it and decided they didnt want it. I have all documents and everything is new and sealed.
Old 11 May 2012, 11:49   #13

It wasnt sold as faulty or returns this has been confirmed its brand new and only 8 days old since sold. The marks creases look from storage and the defective glueing is manufacturing fault.
Old 11 May 2012, 11:50   #14

Both this boat and the sunsport came with the twists in the accessories bags and have identical parts. Just looks cosmetic changes to the honwave.