Old 11 October 2014, 12:58   #1

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Replacing a Rubbing Strake ???

The yellow strake on my Avon is fading and looks rubbish. The boat is otherwise in top condition.

How difficult is it to successfully remove a rubbing strake from an Avon and replace it with a new one?

Any top tips before I start this job? I obviously do not want to mark the boat removing the old Strike and need to get the new one glued down properly and straight as a die.

I am thinking that a new grey strake is the way to go and then replace the lifelines and bowdodger with new grey as well.

Last question, where is the best place to get the new strake and the 'orrible glue as well.

Thanks for any help.

Toby
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6933.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	99790  
Old 11 October 2014, 13:18   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
That's a lot of trouble to go to! Have you tried Cif on a coarse cloth or green scouring pad?

I've just sold this Avon the same as yours... http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/avon-ro...zed-62054.html

When I bought it the yellow was faded as yours to a cream colour. One application of Cif on a cloth brought it up as in that link. I did it again after the photo and it came up to match the seats.
Old 11 October 2014, 13:59   #3

Hi there Fenlander

Thanks for the response, CIF you say, I will try that.

I love the boat, had it for twenty years or so now and it has had a bit of love this last year or two and looks great as a result.

Engine wise you want to be looking for a Tohatsu 9.8 2 - Stroke. Tough to find but worth the effort - perfect engine for this boat in terms of power, speed, l/hr and weight.

I will try your CIF thanks, but do think it could benefit from losing the yellow!!!
Old 11 October 2014, 14:28   #4

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtecer View Post
Hi there Fenlander

Thanks for the response, CIF you say, I will try that.

I love the boat, had it for twenty years or so now and it has had a bit of love this last year or two and looks great as a result.

Engine wise you want to be looking for a Tohatsu 9.8 2 - Stroke. Tough to find but worth the effort - perfect engine for this boat in terms of power, speed, l/hr and weight.

I will try your CIF thanks, but do think it could benefit from losing the yellow!!!
Some 600 Wet and Dry with a little soap will work wonders too
Finish with some "Armour All" gloss finish to help seal, and protect it...and Job done
Can't help on the Yellow front....but looks ok,and IS original.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2014, 14:48   #5

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I would agree with Fenlander..it seems a lot of work ..if its only for cosmetic reasons.?

You could try googling Hypalon / PVC paint..as there are various brands and colours..including grey..but I have never tried them so cant give a recommendation.

However.. I would imagine Avon made the accessories yellow for a good reason.. it helps make a small boat more visible.. both to other larger and perhaps faster vessels .. and also for seeing it in search and rescue situations.

In my experience.. anything that helps improve visibility of small boats is worth keeping
Old 11 October 2014, 14:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
I would agree with Fenland..it seems a lot of work ..if its only for cosmetic reasons.?

You could try googling Hypalon / PVC paint..as there are various brands and colours..including grey..but I have never tried them so cant give a recommendation.

However.. I would imagine Avon made the accessories yellow for a good reason.. it helps make a small boat more visible.. both to other larger and perhaps faster vessels .. and also for seeing it in search and rescue situations.

In my experience.. anything that helps improve visibility of small boats is worth keeping
The Gurnard, I certainly would not want to contradict you as you are the MAN for all things Sibbing. but it was this here Avon that started me thinking "Grey" http://www.rib.net/forum/f64/hello-f...sex-65031.html

My first thought was to replace it with the original Yellow Strake but this is now not available anywhere, Kieran at the Ribshop also recommended the grey.

But I will try the CIF, and then if needed the wet & dry route followed by the "Armour All"

Thanks all
Old 11 October 2014, 15:54   #7

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Thanks for the kind comment Ribtecer, but in reality.. Im not SIB expert..just a chancer like everyone else.

Im no Elf and safety freak either ..but I do believe small boats are better being as visible as possible. Unfortunately one of my brother’s friends got his kayak cut in half by a very fast boat a couple of years back. He was in the kayak at the time and afterwards his leg looked like Jaws had eaten it for lunch. The skipper was most apologetic .. but he blamed the kayaker because he said he didn’t see him as his 16ft long Kayak was all white and the buoyancy aid was grey. I do agree this accident is a very rare occurrence.. but it is not impossible to happen again.

Personally ...I favour a nice blue spray deck to go with the yellow stripes on my Avon .. but I guess even it can be hard to see on the rare UK days that the sky and sea are blue
Old 11 October 2014, 16:58   #8

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
My fear of removing and replacing the rub strake on an older boat would be the main boat material peeling while trying to remove it. Personally I wouldn't attempt it for aesthetics. It looks good in the picture
Old 11 October 2014, 18:57   #9

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Do not use armour all anywhere near any inflatable. It contains silicone which will degrade the material and prevent good adhesion of glue if you ever need to do any gluing in that area.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote