Old 07 April 2013, 19:58   #1

Town: Bangor
Boat name: Lencraft 4.8m
Make: Lencraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: DT55HP Suzuki
Repairing Baffles?

Bought a very cheap Zodiac MKII C and have found that the baffles are all gone (all three chambers are running into each other). I knew it needed work but did not realise that the baffles were all gone. Fixed all the other issues pretty easily and holds air fine but a bit risky to use IMHO without another 'safety boat'. I don't think the seller knew they were gone and it was cheap so not too bothered but its too good to bin.

Have been told its a nightmare job to repair them, anyone got any tips? Was thinking of putting a camera inside to assess the damage then cutting hand sized holes to allow repair - ideally in the bow section to reduce consequence of patch failure.

Anyway look forward to some tips, as I say too good to bin!
Old 07 April 2013, 21:29   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Didn't come from Winchester on Ebay did it?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2013, 21:42   #3

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKat View Post
Bought a very cheap Zodiac MKII C and have found that the baffles are all gone (all three chambers are running into each other). I knew it needed work but did not realise that the baffles were all gone. Fixed all the other issues pretty easily and holds air fine but a bit risky to use IMHO without another 'safety boat'. I don't think the seller knew they were gone and it was cheap so not too bothered but its too good to bin.

Have been told its a nightmare job to repair them, anyone got any tips? Was thinking of putting a camera inside to assess the damage then cutting hand sized holes to allow repair - ideally in the bow section to reduce consequence of patch failure.

Anyway look forward to some tips, as I say too good to bin!
Try the in-tube liners as they provide a second defence, can't remember off the top of my head what they are called but thet are effectively inner tubes that you introduce into the existing tubes.
Old 07 April 2013, 22:06   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
Try the in-tube liners as they provide a second defence, can't remember off the top of my head what they are called but thet are effectively inner tubes that you introduce into the existing tubes.
The only people I am aware of selling them for permanent use were Gemini. A good search of the forum would be recommended before anyone handed money to Gemini (not this is NOT Gemini the S.A. boat builder - but a small UK outfit making PVC tubes etc). Last time someone was complaining about Gemini he claimed to have stopped trading although I did see adverts in RIB international sometime after that though.

Henshaws (trade member on here with username Christopher) does now sell "emergency inner tubes" Emergency bladder - Henshaw Inflatables Ltd not sure how long he would advise they could be used for.
Old 07 April 2013, 22:16   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
depends on how much of the baffle is blown, there are way more qualified tube repairers on here than myself, but I understood that to do it properly the semas have to be taken apart, and that cost wise, this dismantling of the tubes was not that much different in price to a retube, that would give you brand new tubes - a significant rise in value of your boat....worth asking Ribraff on here.
Old 08 April 2013, 02:00   #6
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
PVC and blown baffles?

To clarify to those who replied, it's a sib.

Old 08 April 2013, 09:03   #7

Could be I am calling them the wrong thing, maybe they are called bulkheads, it is the inner chamber partitions that keeps the tubes separate (for safety).
I am hoping that they have maybe only lifted a small bit and can be restuck or patched internally.

(Was not from eBay, bought from here but I paid my money and took my chance so not dissing the seller and it was cheap enough to take a chance on.)
Old 08 April 2013, 09:18   #8
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Could be I am calling them the wrong thing, maybe they are called bulkheads, it is the inner chamber partitions that keeps the tubes separate (for safety).
I am hoping that they have maybe only lifted a small bit and can be restuck or patched internally.

(Was not from eBay, bought from here but I paid my money and took my chance so not dissing the seller and it was cheap enough to take a chance on.)
No worries, I asked because I went to Winchester last week to buy one from Ebay and the baffles were all blown through so I walked away. If it'd been the same guy, he said he'd bin it.

Old 08 April 2013, 09:32   #9

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Probably not worth repairing in my opinion. I have the same SIB (with aluminium floor boards). My one is 1986 (seams on top under rope lace cuff and row locks). There will be a bow chamber, two sponson chambers and the inflatable keel. If you cut a hand sized hole near each chamber - that's a big repair, and will need a big patch, etc.

Previous owner probably blew them by not getting air pressure equal before finally inflating to final operating pressure. The internal baffles are normally okay on these boats. It's the seams and end cones that tend to go.
Old 09 April 2013, 09:38   #10

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
leave it as it is and use with care in the company of another boat
Old 09 April 2013, 11:10   #11

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 suzuki
Have just cut off my PVC tubes ready to receive new Hypalon tubes. It was interesting to view the baffles when tubes dissected. Difficult to describe without pictures, but all five baffles had gone, perhaps uneven pressures when inflating, but more I think - over heating in the sun. Also kids using the tubes as a trampoline for diving wouldn't have helped.

The construction of the baffles were not as I was expecting. I thought they would be PVC circles stuck to the tubes at the circumference. They weren't, more like a wind sock. Windsocks for Airports/Airfields/Heliports : McWilliam WindSocks They lie along the tube, obviously stuck at the larger circumference end to the tube and the narrowing end, just closed together and stuck.

So when inflating tubes, too much air one side of chamber would in effect turn the wind sock inside out and force it back on itself - so it would lie in the opposite direction in the tube. No problem with that I guess, as when you inflate the other adjoining chamber, it will try and do the same in reverse!

God this is getting difficult to describe in words It would have been uneconomical to have repaired all baffles and would have ended up with five patches. Tubes were nearing the end of life so forced into new.

I guess the important bit for me now is that the new tubes have A6 over pressure valves. Avoiding any build up in pressure which destroys the baffles.

However tubes must have been like that for 3 years and I never had any problems or even noticed for that matter. Only became an issued once the tubes sprung a leak from seam at tube cone, deflated tubes coming back from I of W, completely flat and looked like a scuttle fish. I was nearly tempted to leave off the tubes altogether looks more like a surf board
Old 09 April 2013, 13:51   #12

Town: Blakeney
Boat name: Lindy
Make: Avon
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Repairing Baffles.

I might get shot down for this, but I don't think I'd worry too much.
If the tubes are otherwise sound, the chances of getting a catastrophic rip in normal usage are pretty minute. A puncture of a "normal" size wouldn't be too threatening as Sibs are low pressure beasties and and associated leak would be easily kept up with by pumping every now and then. Use it and enjoy it I reckon.
Old 09 April 2013, 20:10   #13

Thanks Chaps, interesting description of the baffle construction, not at all what I expected either!

Was slightly alarmed at how quickly the whole thing deflated itself when the valve was take out, did think of stuffing a big ball under the bow dodger. Will try to get a look at it again on Saturday and will report back.
Old 09 April 2013, 23:13   #14
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Thanks Chaps, interesting description of the baffle construction, not at all what I expected either!

Was slightly alarmed at how quickly the whole thing deflated itself when the valve was take out, did think of stuffing a big ball under the bow dodger. Will try to get a look at it again on Saturday and will report back.
Warning I have been drinking and this might be crazy!

Could you get a couple of beach balls. Deflate them and get them through the valves (assuming removable cores), move to the end and inflate the balls - obviously needs some thinking about how! Then reassemble and inflate the tubes? Not going to be as air tight as a baffle but would help keep shape and reduce leak if punctured?
Old 09 April 2013, 23:45   #15
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Is it absinthe tonight ?

Actually, it doesn't sound like a bad idea til you think about the practicalities of it.

Old 10 April 2013, 08:16   #16

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Warning I have been drinking and this might be crazy!

Could you get a couple of beach balls. Deflate them and get them through the valves (assuming removable cores), move to the end and inflate the balls - obviously needs some thinking about how! Then reassemble and inflate the tubes? Not going to be as air tight as a baffle but would help keep shape and reduce leak if punctured?
Are you by any chance a gynaecologist??
Old 10 April 2013, 09:20   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightdiver View Post
I don't think he has any professional qualifications, but I suspect he's a keen amateur...

He may be onto a usable solution though. His beachballs have a few problems in the real world:
1. Very flimsy
2. Nearly impossible to position and inflate
3. Won't deflate and pack away

An adaptation: Buy two longish inflatable thwarts, cut your existing side valves and a section of fabric out and insert the thwarts, partially gluing them behind the new enlarged opening. These would act as buoyancy in the event of a main tube failure and could be filled first before the main tube.

Personally, I'd just dump the SIB, if you have a failure as you are, you'll lose the motor, maybe worse...
Old 10 April 2013, 17:22   #18

Town: South Coast
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: outboard
Go to an insulating company and fill it with expandable foam
Old 10 April 2013, 18:21   #19
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Is it absinthe tonight ?
i don't think so... but I was in Cardiff and as last week's pictures show when you drink in Wales - ANYTHING is possible.
Quote:
Actually, it doesn't sound like a bad idea til you think about the practicalities of it.
I prefer to think of myself as a concept guy and let others work out the implementation!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightdiver View Post
Good thinking - engaging expert help could be useful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I don't think he has any professional qualifications, but I suspect he's a keen amateur...

Quote:
He may be onto a usable solution though. His beachballs have a few problems in the real world:
1. Very flimsy
2. Nearly impossible to position and inflate
3. Won't deflate and pack away

An adaptation: Buy two longish inflatable thwarts, cut your existing side valves and a section of fabric out and insert the thwarts, partially gluing them behind the new enlarged opening. These would act as buoyancy in the event of a main tube failure and could be filled first before the main tube.
you see I should drink more - my best ideas (which have now stimulated your refinement) come in moments of clarity...
Old 10 April 2013, 18:41   #20

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
you wont need baffles if you use this stuff. it will make yur sib punture proof

Genuine Ultraseal GB, Ultraseal UK, puncture, punctures, prevention, tyres, tyre, motorbike, tyre sealant, Ultraseal, Ultra Seal GB, Ultraseal USA - Tyre Conditioner.