Old 15 July 2011, 08:28   #51

Town: sheffield
Make: zodiac gt II
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard
I could imagine my idea of stitching may work and a spot of glue over each stitch would make airtight again I would give it a try nothing to lose.

the above idea of getting a inflated keel and makeing a wood floor sounds good also sure theres loads of old -dead-damaged boats out there and the keels come out real easy even on some the inflatable keel is removable and along woth a cut right deck would be great .

renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2011, 08:38   #52

I have done the builders foam thing in the past lol on a little narwhal that was leaking all round the seam under the rubbing streak thingy lol

it real has a mind of its own and where some parts where hard and looked inflated other sections was floppy . so I had to make holes and fill the gaps . in the end the entire boat was totaly solid and gave some kids on a rive hours of fun . I even left it behind for anyone to use to cross or use lol ..oh it was on the trent by the way newark-farnham

Old 15 July 2011, 08:50   #53

Town: herts
Make: avon searider/bom380
Engine: merc 50 2 stroke
if you wanted to trailer it, think it could deinfinitely with a bit of patience be possible construct a ply wood deep v and then fix a flat floor across the v shape very similar to air deck profile but in 3/4 marine ply and it would be held in under the tubes and use the original straps for a bit more holding, defo a project i wouldnt mind haveing a go at if all else failed
Old 15 July 2011, 09:02   #54

lots of cheap old ribs out there like I said maybe buy steal the keel and decks and save the old as a backup or something ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOMBARD-AEROTE...item2a12283058

avon s4.6m inflatable/rib/fishing boat/dive boat | eBay

inflatable boat very clean | eBay

HUMBER RIB 5.5 COMMERCIAL FOLDS AWAY | eBay
Old 15 July 2011, 09:11   #55

Make: Bombard Aerotec
Engine: Evinrude 15 hp -78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Surely someone on eBay will ship one to you? There is an endless supply on there and shipping should easily be possible for under 100.
Well they all say in the ads "Pick up only in Sussex" or something for the aerotecs Just like that one on ebay which I gladly would have bought if it could have been sent to sweden.

How usual is this problem? Is this where this type of boat ends up? And is it the fibers that goes or just the hold between the fiber fabric and the outer fabric?
Old 15 July 2011, 09:45   #56

Lol, so would you say that it did work or that it was crap? Could it be an option worth trying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
I have done the builders foam thing in the past lol on a little narwhal that was leaking all round the seam under the rubbing streak thingy lol

it real has a mind of its own and where some parts where hard and looked inflated other sections was floppy . so I had to make holes and fill the gaps . in the end the entire boat was totaly solid and gave some kids on a rive hours of fun . I even left it behind for anyone to use to cross or use lol ..oh it was on the trent by the way newark-farnham
So far I havent understood why it's not possible to cut it up and glue the inners back together. I don't really understand how it's built. I mean I know all those small fibers, millions of them or something, wont be possible to fix, but arent they attached to one material, and then that material is attached to the outer material? And it's that last attachment that now has failed?
Old 15 July 2011, 14:55   #57

qoute...

The inside of an air deck is so called a "double-wall" or "drop-stitch" fabric. Two airtight layers of reinforced PVC coated fabric are fixed about 2 inches a part by an innumerable quantity of threads. After the perimeter is closed airtight it becomes a very hard and strong when inflated.

in actual fact they are millions of stitches that hold each side 2" apart I would realy try the stitch option inflate mark out the area or the bubble and try some randome stitchs around the middle of the damaged bit then inflate but not to high pressure see if they hold it down if so go crazy on the area with stitches makeing sure it can inflate to about the 2" thickness.

not sure if this could be done on say a sawing machine in a criss -cross manner maybe if done with some realy thin but strong fishing line

heres one of the best images I could find of the inner side of a air deck construction
http://www.p-wholesale.com/upimg/11/...oblong-368.jpg
http://www.grandboats.com/pic/why/material1.jpg
Old 15 July 2011, 18:33   #58

It sure isn't a bad idea! Thanks for the good description too.

Hasn't anyone attempted to do this? I can also imagine that it would work as long as there's enough stitches and the sewing doesn't rip the fabric. Suppose some kind of strengthening before stitching would be in place.

I still don't really understand where it has delaminated? Would it be between the woven material in the bottom and the blue material on your second link? Why is it not possible to cut through just the weave and glue it back onto the blue material? (in the image I mean, I don't think it's blue). Perhaps just because the weave is a weave?

The seller now says the bubble's been there for years and years without changing shape or size. I think I will take it for a spin and see how it behaves before doing something drastic.

What's a recommended size engine anyways? Want to steer with the stick, not fit a steering wheel. I'm sure there's lots of threads about that, I shall search so that I don't go off topic.
Old 16 July 2011, 06:08   #59

you will have to up date us on what you do and how step by step pics lol
Old 16 July 2011, 06:56   #60

Town: herts
Make: avon searider/bom380
Engine: merc 50 2 stroke
max hp is 30hp on a 420, i had the yam 30 3 cylinder on mine but was to much of a handful on the tiller even dampened down!,
i have a 15 on one of my 380`s and thats a nice weight to carry and manages easy on the tiller and gets up and the plane and is pretty quick over 20mph with 2 adults, i aslo have a 25 but havent tried that on the tiller yet ,you wouldnt want to carry that to far either!