Old 23 July 2012, 22:00   #1
maz

Town: Fingringhoe
Make: Plastimo
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mariner 5HP
Repair question

I took my SIB out of the garage today to check it over as I intend going out this weekend and I have found that mice have chewed a 20p sized hole in the top of one of the tubes. Now, I know that repair kits are available and my local marine shop (Morgan Marine) have all the right kit but my question is how effective are these repairs? Is it ever lightly to be a permanent fix? I am very safety conscious and I don't want to be bobbing about on a leaky boat. My SIB is a Plastimo P270SH and it is made of PVC.
Thanks for any advice...
Old 23 July 2012, 23:25   #2
Trade member

Town: UK
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by maz View Post
I took my SIB out of the garage today to check it over as I intend going out this weekend and I have found that mice have chewed a 20p sized hole in the top of one of the tubes. Now, I know that repair kits are available and my local marine shop (Morgan Marine) have all the right kit but my question is how effective are these repairs? Is it ever lightly to be a permanent fix? I am very safety conscious and I don't want to be bobbing about on a leaky boat. My SIB is a Plastimo P270SH and it is made of PVC.
Thanks for any advice...
Hi Maz,
Providing you follow some basic guidelines and use the correct materials, then repairs are usually very effective and long lasting. We have a general guide here
Hope that helps.
Chris
Old 24 July 2012, 00:13   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
With good prep a patch should last for years; however it certainly makes sense to have a plan for an emergency puncture at sea (either a failed patch or new damage). Worth looking at this thread: http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/emergen...kit-40093.html.
Old 24 July 2012, 13:56   #4
maz

Thanks for the advice guys; the patch is now applied and I will have to wait 24 hours to test it's effectiveness. I will take your tip and have also invested in an emergency repair kit. That is a great guide for newbies too Chris.
The mouse met a sudden end last night after falling for the irresistable lure of peanut butter in one of the many traps I put in the garage. I may even have to invest in a cat...
Old 24 July 2012, 20:16   #5

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by maz View Post
The mouse met a sudden end last night after falling for the irresistible lure of peanut butter in one of the many traps I put in the garage. I may even have to invest in a cat...
Where there is one, there are more...rodents cause a lot of damage to personal property.
Old 26 July 2012, 17:14   #6
maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Where there is one, there are more...rodents cause a lot of damage to personal property.
4 mice in 3 days; I'm surprised I've got a boat left!