Old 07 April 2009, 08:16   #1

Town: Devon
Boat name: Junk at the moment
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 4hp 2t
Repacement valves cheap price

Seems I definitely have to replace the valves on my Avon so I have been looking around various suppliers.
To be honest the seem to be quite pricey for what the are,but then I guess its about safety.

So why are these so cheap ??
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=350093937983

They look something like the A8 valve,so are they any good or total rubbish,as Honeywell is a reputable manufacturer.?

Advice again please chaps

Mike
Old 07 April 2009, 11:51   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I'd say that there might not be anything ' wrong' with the vales , but if it were down to me I'd stick to known experts in this sort of thing like Ribshop etc .

As the saying goes you get what you pay for & I cant see these valve are going to be as reliable / long lasted as some proper genuine 100% pucka ones . I also cant see they have an kind of cover/ final seal with them ?

I'd rather pay a little more & know they wont need changing again for the next 15 years.
Old 07 April 2009, 13:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
I'd say that there might not be anything ' wrong' with the vales , but if it were down to me I'd stick to known experts in this sort of thing like Ribshop etc .

As the saying goes you get what you pay for & I cant see these valve are going to be as reliable / long lasted as some proper genuine 100% pucka ones . I also cant see they have an kind of cover/ final seal with them ?

I'd rather pay a little more & know they wont need changing again for the next 15 years.
Thanks for the reply
I understand your point,but having lost a job recently the price does matter. When you say 100% pukka ,in what way?
I have heard of Honeywell and I believe they make a huge range of high quality valves for loads of different applications,so I just assumed that they would be a good quality item,although I am first to admit I am no expert.So any advice is welcome.

In fifteen year my boat would have been long scrapped I would imagine as it is probably over 20 years old now.

All the best
Mike
Old 07 April 2009, 14:50   #4

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Ashling
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 225
[QUOTE=mike13401;289753] Seems I definitely have to replace the valves on
They look something like the A8 valve,so are they any good or total rubbish,as Honeywell is a reputable manufacturer.?

Honeywell were the original company that manufactured Leafield valves before the change of name, so you can rest assured that they are of first class quality

www.henshaw.co.uk
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2009, 15:16   #5

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Thats good enough for me - Henshaws made my tubes & are fine after a few years of abuse !

Let us know how you get on - as if the seller on ebay has that many we could all buy a few .....

Chris - why do you tink these are so cheap compared to buying from more well known outlets - or is it just down to overheads etc ?
Old 07 April 2009, 17:18   #6

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Ashling
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 225
[QUOTE=
Chris - why do you tink these are so cheap compared to buying from more well known outlets - or is it just down to overheads etc ? [/QUOTE]

Can only assume they have got hold of a "job lot". Certainly the price is way out of line with the Leafield price!! However have just noticed that there is no sign of the rubber cap which normally comes with the valve, which although not essential, might account for the attractive price.

www.henshaw.co.uk
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2009, 17:47   #7

They arrived today and after studying pics on a couple of sites I can categorically state that they are A8s.

It is the complete valve minus the dust cover cap.

TBH at this price I have ordered some more to pop in the tool box ,just in case.

ATB
Mike