Old 06 July 2011, 19:28   #1

Town: Poole
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Removed Launching Wheels

I have removed the Launching Wheels from my Honwave Sib, what should i do and use to fill the Holes in the Transom?

Thanks in advance

Jon
Old 06 July 2011, 22:03   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Hi Jon, I plugged some holes recently on my transom where wheel brackets had been - I filled the hole from each side with marine sealant (not hard setting Sikaflex) and then inserted a colour matched trim button from each side (as used on car trim panels) pushing out the excess and wiping over. Nice and secure and water tight but easy to remove if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zod.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	60663  
Old 07 July 2011, 07:20   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Max's way is good as it will give a perfect unobtrusive seal for years but can be easily reversed any time. In a similar situation very close to the bottom fabric overlap on the transom I used stainless dome headed bolts, with a washer and nut on the inside. I first fitted them without sealant and measured the bolt thread that stuck out then cut it off and filed down so it didn't project past the nut and was 100% smooth for when the boat was packed away.

Did you give up on the transom wheels Max or swap for a different type? Yours looked like they would be good on sand??
Old 07 July 2011, 08:47   #4

Hi David - no not tried them as the places where we launch it is really easier to carry the boat down (steep pebbles/shingle etc) - with that in mind I prefer the uncluttered look on the boat and weight saving but I will keep them and maybe try one day.
Old 07 July 2011, 10:13   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Understood Max. One of the downsides to my upgrade from 10-15hp is that the 15 is just a bit too heavy to carry far. We soon gave up bothering with wheels when we had the 10hp and just carried like you. Now we need the boat as an outboard trolley!
Old 07 July 2011, 13:11   #6

Town: Bury
Boat name: O' ALCHEMY
Make: Honwave 3.8 IE
Engine: Honda 15hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235905781
Hi there, just wondering if you fit the engine to the transom in the 'raised' posistion before pulling it to the water?

Sorry if its a daft question but in the past we have always managed to launch from the trailler. Only used the wheels when pulling up somewhere and we had already lifted engine. Just checking the tide times for Cornwall this summer and the 2 weeks we are there are not good times for us so Just want some re assurance about launching at low water.

Am I right in thinking that I can :-

1) lift the boat off the trailler whith wheels down.

2) Put the engine bracket in the raised posistion and fit engine to transom

3) pick up boat and pull it into water to a depth where I can either row out or depth is good enough to lower engine.

Never having had to launch this way just wanted some advice from people who had already done it before I give it a try.

Thanks in advance

Jake
Old 07 July 2011, 13:51   #7

Jake, from reading past exploits of beach launches and having had a go myself firstly I would only do it in dead calm flat seas with no more than 5 - 6 kts of wind. Certainly the more hands you have available the easier it is.

I put the boat in so it's beached but nose in the water, then put the engine on lifted up, get the little one on board, get someone to hold it steady, oars ready....jump on and row, row, row... far enough to allow for some drift back as it might take a few goes to get the engine started. A lightweight SIB with little bite in the water moves quickly in the wind...
Old 07 July 2011, 16:10   #8

Town: Bury
Boat name: O' ALCHEMY
Make: Honwave 3.8 IE
Engine: Honda 15hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235905781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Jake, from reading past exploits of beach launches and having had a go myself firstly I would only do it in dead calm flat seas with no more than 5 - 6 kts of wind. Certainly the more hands you have available the easier it is.

I put the boat in so it's beached but nose in the water, then put the engine on lifted up, get the little one on board, get someone to hold it steady, oars ready....jump on and row, row, row... far enough to allow for some drift back as it might take a few goes to get the engine started. A lightweight SIB with little bite in the water moves quickly in the wind...
Thanks Max, Looks like this would be ideal for me at Penzance launching into a sheltered harbour. My other launch site is Hayle but although Launching into the river Hayle shouldnt be a problem not sure if I would get over the sandbar where it runs into st Ives Bay. Anyone have any advice on this please?

Thanks

Jake
Old 07 July 2011, 17:54   #9

Town: Poole
Make: Honwave
Engine: Outboard
Cheers Guys. Im looking at having an A Frame made with a couple of Rod Holders on it so i will prob wait to see how much is covered, then use Stainless dome heads on the holes you can see and sealant on the bits that are covered.

Big help thanks again

Jon