Old 15 July 2015, 18:23   #1

Town: christiana
Boat name: viking
Make: -
Length: 3m +
Engine: 10 hp
Removable inflatable keel tube

Hi there i want to make a removable keel tube for my flat bottom inflatable. I eant to put it under the plyeood floor to make a shallow v. Can anyone assist me with the cutting of the pvc. I can glue it and everything just want some advice with the shapband dimensions i have to make it.

Thanks
Old 15 July 2015, 19:47   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Easiest keel design is actually the old Zodiac keel design from the 1970s:
Two teardrop/oval pieces of material with the entire circumference glued together by about 25mm or so. Punch a hole in the front for the valve assembly.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2015, 20:21   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Might be easier just ordering one, even with postage.
Zodiac Bombard Inflatable V Vee keel Cadet 340 11ft Boat dinghy part Z3865 | eBay
Old 15 July 2015, 20:54   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by johandre View Post
Hi there i want to make a removable keel tube for my flat bottom inflatable. I eant to put it under the plyeood floor to make a shallow v. Can anyone assist me with the cutting of the pvc. I can glue it and everything just want some advice with the shapband dimensions i have to make it.

Thanks
My dad had a small inflatable (don't remember the size, but I'd guess around 11 or 12 feet) that had a 2-piece wooden keel. The forward section had a slight up-curve, and thickened a bit to and through the curve to give a bit of a vee. The rear section was pretty much a straight piece of lumber with a metal tang that slid under the transom. When assembling the boat, the 2 forward pieces of floor were assembled to the forward keel, the keel pieces were inserted with the join elevated, and then the join was levered down into position. The join was secured with a couple of stainless steel brackets and 4 through-bolts. The other 3 (or was it 2?) floor pieces were installed, and the boat was inflated.

Might be easier than trying to get a suitable inflatable keel. Or not; don't really know.

jky