Old 13 July 2011, 16:01   #1

Town: Lancashire
Length: 5m +
Remote controls for outboard

Is it possible to fit an engine with remotes to a sib? I presume a make shift throttle & wheel mount would be needed, but what about steering at the transom side of things? Is it possible? Or do-able but difficult? Or just just plain simple? Just a general query really as im looking for an outboard and have seen a couple that crop up with remotes.
Old 13 July 2011, 16:35   #2

Town: dawlish
Make: avon searider/bom380
Length: 4m +
Engine: merc 50 2 stroke
yes its possible especially for the bombards you just buy the cross bar steering and use the boats original seat , the remotes then screw on with the steering , can post photos of my old bombard 420 with it all setup ,it costs a bit ,but its a totally different experience, and you have much more control
i just see u have honwave has it got 2 holes in webbing that runs on the top tubes if so then should be easy as ,thiis where the cross boat steering fits
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bom 420.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	60826  
Old 13 July 2011, 16:46   #3

Yeah, the control would be a big improvement over tiller, especially on a bigger engine. So if i got an engine with full controls, would it just be basically a bolt on system- Just screw down the throttle & steering wheel? Then main thing i was thinking about was the steering setup near the transom, how does it attach to the transom?
Cheers for the pic, if you have anymore of the setup around the engine so i can see how it goes together that'd be great.
Old 13 July 2011, 17:40   #4

the steering shaft just pushes through the hole in your outboard and the nut on the steering rod is then done up on the engine to hold the steering rod in place then a rod goes from the steering rod to a pigs nose attached to the engine nothing attaches to the trans form in theory u can remove the engine with the steering still attached should just say the steering cable stays rolled up with the steering so no connections to make at the steering end of things
i can take a picture with it attched just to my outboard, as i have just got a mariner 25 with remotes and cross boat steering for my bombard 380 if it helps
yes to the steering and remotes just a matter of screwing them on , the only difficulty or hardest part would be if you bought an engine with out the remotes thats a bit costly and more involved but its straight fwd if the engine is already kitted with the remotes
Old 13 July 2011, 17:59   #5

Ah rightt, thats makes sense now. Just what i wanted to hear. For some reason i thought it would be connected to the boat. I have seen a few that come with the remotes and at reasonable prices, just a little less hp than what id like. Id be pretty sure i wouldnt have a problem fitting them as long as its just bolt into place (with a little mod to the seat). Its when, like you say, having to fit them to an engine thats not already equipped with them which would be a no go area for me, too much cost involved and hassle.
If you have a bit of spare time, a picture would be much appreciated.
Another quick one.. How important is it to get a motor with the correct shaft length?
Old 13 July 2011, 18:05   #6

heres a quick picy as you ca see the whole setup can attch to any boat that has the 2 holes for the steering and remotes are fixed .thats the only part that attches to the boat
shaft lenght is important all i know have short shaft except the bombard 420 which is the only sib i know which has a long shaft there may be others im sure others van tell you the exact problems with using incorrect length shaft
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P7131259.JPG
Views:	510
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	60832  
Old 13 July 2011, 18:12   #7

thanks for that, it does look a neat little setup. Ill be on the look out for something similar/ tiller depending on what comes up. Doesnt seem to be much choice on the second hand stuff. Bill Highams local though and has the same setup for £1800 but a johnson 25 instead. Just wrong timing for me.. budget wont quite stretch just yet.
Old 13 July 2011, 18:20   #8

i just got this mariner 25hp steering remotes fuel tank etc and the bombard 380 with the leaks for £1200 after some extra negotiation when i got home and found it had more patches and leaks than he advertised !
so they are out there .
Old 13 July 2011, 18:27   #9

£1200! Thats really good, where did you find that advertised? Its a bargain to be honest for all that, even with leaks. I bet youd pull that for the engine alone if its in good nic. Im just waiting for the right one at the right time, even if it takes a while. Only problem is im not the most patient person in the world!
Old 13 July 2011, 18:43   #10

patience is not my strongest point either it was advertised for around 2500 about 2 years ago on boats and outboards then he contacted me this year and asked if i was still interesed in it , i wasnt to bothered as i had already bought a mint condition 380 with a 15 yam 18monhts ago for 1600 but no remotes etc ,
so just made him an other on his description the rest is now history,
the engine has run in a water butt ok ,but not had it in the sea yet so wont know for sure till then , but i do think he let it go cheap because the boat has had some neglect , the boat itself is solid and holds air for 3 days no probs its just the floor needs the rear repaired then hopefully its good to go touch wood!
Old 13 July 2011, 19:09   #11

Something like that, you cant go wrong for the money. Even with some repairs, its a lot of kit for the money and something to have a blast about on! Ill have to keep looking, theres always things cropping up, they all just seem to be 8hours drive away from me!
Old 23 July 2011, 18:55   #12

added some photos here of my 380 with the steering remotes etc if you want any particular angles let me know as it will be set up for next few days
http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/repair-...r-42724-3.html
Old 23 July 2011, 20:29   #13

Cheers for the link with the pics, the boats looking great. Its a good setup you have with the remotes. I wouldnt mind sorting some out for mine, but to be honest i wouldnt know where to start with what parts i would need to do it. I picked an engine up thats tiller control, and as you said earlier, it will probably cost quite a bit to do it as it didnt come with them in the first place
Old 24 July 2011, 10:16   #14

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino89 View Post
yes its possible especially for the bombards you just buy the cross bar steering and use the boats original seat , the remotes then screw on with the steering , can post photos of my old bombard 420 with it all setup ,it costs a bit ,but its a totally different experience, and you have much more control
i just see u have honwave has it got 2 holes in webbing that runs on the top tubes if so then should be easy as ,thiis where the cross boat steering fits
Hello hope you don t mind ,but could i ask where you can obtain

The cross bar steering,as i would like to have that type of set up on mine,Thorney
Old 24 July 2011, 12:10   #15

cross bar comes from zodaic or ron hale marine approx £450 i have a spare crossbar steering only(same as picy attached) which has the steering cable attached ,paid £275 for it ,before i got this boat which already came with it all setup, i would probably sell it for the same plus p&p if required ,
Zodiac Marine - Accessories - Crossbar steering kit
Ron Hale Marine Ltd - Crossbar Steering Systems 8-12ft up to 60hp
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-500-286-2677-r.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	61069  
Old 17 August 2011, 14:57   #16

Town: Hazlemere
Boat name: FEEFO
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard Mariner 25
Hi Dino

On your throttle controls does one cable go to one side and another to the other side i.e. one for gears and one for throttle? I am in Lake Annecy at the moment and my friend has forward controls like yours but both his gear select and throttle cable go to the gear lever side where there seems to be a removable section of the engine case to accommodate this.

Mine appears to be like yours where I only have a slot where the gear selector is. Are there different kits for different years of engine? My serial number is 09815044

Also is your steering control still for sale?
Bongy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2011, 02:43   #17

Town: oregon
Boat name: .
Make: zodiac GR mkIII
Engine: johnson 40

D80nov 193 by nice-diver, on Flickr

mine came set-up, re outfitted when i got my yamaha 50
Old 18 October 2011, 20:46   #18

hi
my remotes all go to the same lever but to different sides of the outboard , my steering contorl sold 1st week advertised but i may be going back to my rib (avon searider) next year which has been garaged for the last 2 years ,so maybe consider sellling my bombard 380 and mariner 25hp with alll the steering and remotes etc, not 100% wether to hang on to it or sell at the moment but will give it some thought in the off season