Old 14 August 2012, 13:16   #1

Boat name: Classic Mark II C
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15HP Honda
REALLY Enjoying My New SIB (Pic thread)

Many thanks to the forum for all the sound advice over the past several weeks. I am thoroughly enjoying my new purchase, as you can see from the shots below. I've taken it out about a dozen times so far, and each time is enjoyable, and each time has been a learning experience.

It is a Zodiac Classic Mark IIC with a 15HP Honda 4-stroke. I'm happy with the package. This engine tops out at 21 MPH fully loaded, which feels quite exhilarating on the water. Even with 2 adults and a child, it planes easily and zips across the water! What fun!!

I created two shelves that I mounted to the transom using the pre-drilled holes for the launching wheels. I use these shelves for the depth-finder and the marine radio. The set-up works well. I recently mounted a pirate flag to it, which my daughter gets a kick out of.

THIS IS FUN!!!!!

Old 14 August 2012, 15:06   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Looks like fun. Your daughter looks like she's having a blast.

Nice bit of traffic in the first pic.

One criticism: Get a velcro strap with a small D ring, and clip the kill cord to that. The retractable cable looped back on itself has been known to slip off when you need it most. Not good if you go over and your little girl doesn't (or does too.)

Thanks for the post;

jky
Old 14 August 2012, 15:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Get a velcro strap with a small D ring, and clip the kill cord to that
Getting it on the way home tonight! Great idea, and you may have saved me from a tragedy!
Old 14 August 2012, 15:16   #4

Town: Sheffield
Boat name: Touch Bottom
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 hp Merc Power t&t
Fabulous !! I don't know what you paid for it but to me it looks like it was worth every penny. Best thing in the world, buying your hearts desire and getting a buzz out of it.
Old 14 August 2012, 15:48   #5

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffsBoat View Post
Getting it on the way home tonight! Great idea, and you may have saved me from a tragedy!
Or another option is to put it round your leg - that way it will never slip off you leg foot shoe etc ....and you can still move your hand about without killing the engine or getting tangled( say if you are stopped in the water etc and want both hands free to move somethin in the boat etc ) .

Does look an awesome little rig. huge fun and cheap as chips to run and look after. Nice set up with the VHF and fishfinder.
Old 14 August 2012, 16:20   #6

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Looks fantastic, nothing better than getting out there with the kids. Like most people on here wearing some sort of flotation device is recommended and if you do I find clipping the kill cord to a metal ring on the main belt works well.

Same with the VHF - I would always want that clipped to me rather than the boat, if you end up in the drink you want it close to hand.
Old 14 August 2012, 17:48   #7

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Perfect setup for getting the family out!

Now you need to find places to explore and go on adventure hikes where others can't get to.

This thread might be of interest to you. With a trailer, bolts might be worth while. You are obviously handy enough to make something work
http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/do-i-re...-on-50092.html
Old 15 August 2012, 15:30   #8

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Smashing set up,only thing i would say and i am proberly wrong is thought the GPS/fishfinder is only splash proofand? it will be getting a lot of sea spray from the outboard, plus the prop can mess with the fishfinder transducer if to near and then wrong readings? handhelds can be dropped in water for some amount of time,but wow a cool sib,my gear is at the bow of my sib get's a little spray but not a lot.Happy sibbing, cool boat.
Old 15 August 2012, 21:04   #9

Looks like one of the PiranhaMax series, which are all waterproof (well, "Humminbird-waterproof", anyway.)

The transducer can be affected by pressure and/or noise from the prop; I didn't have much trouble with a portable Humminbird unit in that respect (suction cup mounted transducer and an Achilles 14/Honda 40.) The power cable was another story.

jky
Old 16 August 2012, 04:41   #10

Biff; you have a pm, btw.

jky
Old 16 August 2012, 07:37   #11

Quote:
Looks like one of the PiranhaMax series, which are all waterproof (well, "Humminbird-waterproof", anyway.)

The transducer can be affected by pressure and/or noise from the prop; I didn't have much trouble with a portable Humminbird unit in that respect (suction cup mounted transducer and an Achilles 14/Honda 40.) The power cable was another story.

jky
Yes you are right it's a Hummingbird, only problem i have had with mine is salt water got into the power outer pin plug and it snapped off,so have to wedge it in,always WD40 it after each trip sure most folk do that and i also have the cable streched out,curled up i don 't beleive the signal is as good when curl up,once speed is slowed down then generaly you get the acurate depth,mine is also suction cup,and i take it off and clip it on my bigger sib,all good tho,Happy sibbing you guy's i have not been out in months and now trouble at home,doh.
Old 16 August 2012, 11:10   #12

I didn't know I was supposed to spray WD40! Should I spray that on the bare terminals after every use? What about the electrical connectors for the trailer? Suppose some plugs have already started to corrode?
Old 16 August 2012, 14:59   #13

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbackflound View Post
i also have the cable streched out,curled up i don 't beleive the signal is as good when curl up,once speed is slowed down then generaly you get the acurate depth
Where did you learn this? I ask because I keep mine coiled on a Garmin, and once in a while loose my depth reading at speed, but there is no way I could possibly get it stretched out without running it in circles around the boat.
Old 16 August 2012, 15:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffsBoat View Post
I didn't know I was supposed to spray WD40! Should I spray that on the bare terminals after every use? What about the electrical connectors for the trailer? Suppose some plugs have already started to corrode?
Problem with WD40 is it's petroleum based and can degrade a lot of rubber and plastic materials. Better off getting silicone grease or a spray can of silicone and using that.

Re: transducer cable: I've heard you can have problems if you run the ducer cable next to other high noise cabling (VHF on transmit, some engine cabling); never heard of the signal itself inducing noise problems. I think I have at least a section of mine coiled up in the console. Water aeration and the like causes a lot more loss of lock than noise, at least in my case.

jky
Old 16 August 2012, 16:17   #15

Quote:
Problem with WD40 is it's petroleum based and can degrade a lot of rubber and plastic materials. Better off getting silicone grease or a spray can of silicone and using that.

Re: transducer cable: I've heard you can have problems if you run the ducer cable next to other high noise cabling (VHF on transmit, some engine cabling); never heard of the signal itself inducing noise problems. I think I have at least a section of mine coiled up in the console. Water aeration and the like causes a lot more loss of lock than noise, at least in my case.

jky
never heard of the signal itself inducing noise problems
lol,no not saying that, the prop vibration interupts the signal from the transducer to the fishfinder unit so you get a wrong reading ,when not going as fast the reading is more accurate.
Old 16 August 2012, 16:21   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Where did you learn this? I ask because I keep mine coiled on a Garmin, and once in a while loose my depth reading at speed, but there is no way I could possibly get it stretched out without running it in circles around the boat.
my cable is streched out around my sib ,both when i use it,a coiled up cable induces a slower signal to the unit.tucked up somewhere it's fine. could be wrong on all of this but i know plenty of mates with boats and a coiled up cable is a no no,it will work coiled up, but is it at its best?