Old 22 August 2011, 18:38   #1

Town: Cambridge
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: TBC
Re-attaching floor of SIB

Hi

I recently bought a second hand, quite old SIB (Zodiac 310 fastroller). On its third outing I noticed a small (inch long) separation between the floor and the tubes right at the front.

I made the mistake of leaving it on a roofrack overnight and when I went back to it (after a surprisingly warm morning) the floor had separated from the tubes considerably more (around 2 foot).

I took it to a local Rib repairer who pulled at the remaining floor, which came away a bit. He said it would all need to be replaced and would not be cost effective to repair.

When I checked it a couple of days later the remaining floor seemed solidly attached. I suspect the hot morning had softened the glue which had recured (?does that happen?).

So any advice on repairing it? Is it worth attempting?

Cheers

C
Old 22 August 2011, 18:54   #2

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Glue doesn't really soften with day to day heat. You'd need to have it in the Sahara to soften the glue!

The tubes got alot firmer in the heat though and they changed shape and seperated the floor in the process. You have to be careful not to overpressurize most RIBs/SIBs since few have overpressure valves.

I would attempt to reglue the floor myself, its not all that difficult in small sections. I would start be completely removing the floor and all the old glue. New glue sticks poorly to old.
Old 23 August 2011, 05:25   #3

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
The floor will also include the transom. I did that to my 4m sib. It was a lot of work with nasty chemicals. Took 40 hours, and got me into the boat for next to nothing. Are you prepared to do this kind of work? I actually enjoyed it for the most part.
Old 23 August 2011, 07:58   #4

To a large extent I'm willing but the question may well be if I have the time, 40 hours is quite a lot. I'm halfway through building a canoe so garage space and time are much in demand.

Is it safe/worthwhile to focus on the section that has sepearted and leave the remainder/transom for another time? (I think I know the answer but thought I should ask)
Old 23 August 2011, 11:41   #5

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I had exactly this same issue having left the smaller Nashers old Zodiac SIB on the roofrack whilst we had lunch.
The differance was that I'd converted it to an airdeck and this had helped push the seam apart.

I ended up gluing a strip of PVC all around the joint, which made it very strong.

The only material I could get at the time was Black, so it shows up well in this image.

Nasher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SIB3.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	61939  
Old 23 August 2011, 14:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
I had exactly this same issue having left the smaller Nashers old Zodiac SIB on the roofrack whilst we had lunch.
The differance was that I'd converted it to an airdeck and this had helped push the seam apart.

I ended up gluing a strip of PVC all around the joint, which made it very strong.

The only material I could get at the time was Black, so it shows up well in this image.

Nasher.
Thanks for the information. Adding a strip around the floor somes like a good idea. Currently I'm thinking about re-gluing the section that has seperated and then reinforcing the whole seam with a strip.

By the way, mine has an airfloor as well, I think it was the same problem, the airfloor and keel seemed to be pressing up and through the hull.
Old 31 August 2011, 11:47   #7

Town: Adelaide
Length: no boat
Floors are pretty simple to repair , you just have to understand the process involved. I made a website for the old man's business and put in a 'How To' for repairing Zodiac floors (PVC). Here's the link and all the instructions.

Inflatable Boat Floor repairs - How to guide
Old 31 August 2011, 12:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4Simon View Post
Floors are pretty simple to repair , you just have to understand the process involved. I made a website for the old man's business and put in a 'How To' for repairing Zodiac floors (PVC). Here's the link and all the instructions.

Inflatable Boat Floor repairs - How to guide
Thats great!

I haven't seen that kind of glue before, do you know of any brand names I could look for?

Cheers!!!

C
Old 01 September 2011, 09:28   #9

Town: Adelaide
Length: no boat
I've been asked this a few times. I don't know if Bostik do an alternate or whether there is another company's product. The actual glue is Bostik 1669, which is actually used by shoemakers as a sole repair glue. The beauty of the glue is that you can align the patch without the glue going off - which is great for doing inner repairs on inflatables. A standard hairdryer will activate the glue (around 30degC). Once cooled it becomes a permanent bond.

Here's a link to the adhesive properties

http://www.fitchtherubberman.com.au/...669%20MSDS.pdf

Best option is to ask your local Bostik distributor. The old man has been repairing inflatables for over 50 years and this is by far the best adhesive on the market for repairing PVC inflatables.
Old 07 September 2011, 12:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4Simon View Post
I've been asked this a few times. I don't know if Bostik do an alternate or whether there is another company's product. The actual glue is Bostik 1669, which is actually used by shoemakers as a sole repair glue. The beauty of the glue is that you can align the patch without the glue going off - which is great for doing inner repairs on inflatables. A standard hairdryer will activate the glue (around 30degC). Once cooled it becomes a permanent bond.

Here's a link to the adhesive properties

http://www.fitchtherubberman.com.au/...669%20MSDS.pdf

Best option is to ask your local Bostik distributor. The old man has been repairing inflatables for over 50 years and this is by far the best adhesive on the market for repairing PVC inflatables.
Perfect Thank you!