Old 16 July 2004, 22:18   #1

Town: Athens
Boat name: ?
Make: QuickSilver
Length: no boat
Engine: Outboard 15Hp
Quicksilver Heavy-Duty 380 with 15HP?

Hello,

My plan is to buy an inflatable RIB, capable to transport 2 adults in order to make one day trips around islands such us mykonos, milos etc. Due to the fact that I cannot have a license on time the maximun allowed engine which I can use without a license is 15hp. After a research in the market I am between the following four (I prefer quicksilver since they are cheaper but
I don't know about quality)

a) Quicksilver airdeck D340

b) Quicksilver heavy-duty D380

c) Zodiac futura MKII

d) Zodiac touring MKII

The machine will most propably be 15hp two stroke Mariner, could you please inform which will be more suitable for my needs and if anyone has such a combination what are the speeds?

Thanks in advance
Sotiris
Old 16 July 2004, 22:33   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I had a Quicksiler, and it was very robust. I had the airdeck version which was well worth the extra £100 or so. With 15hp on the back you will fly. I'm guessing 25knotts....
Mine (270) would plane easily with two adults with only a 6hp longshaft!
Mariner are great, I have one....
Old 16 July 2004, 22:57   #3

Thanks tim,

I was wondering which is best to have an airdeck or a wooden deck like the one in heavy-duty? For sure i noticed difference in the weight (double 40kgs vs 80kg) but i was wondering if this will result in huge difference in the speed...
and in case of waves what is better to have?

Also what you suggest for someone who most propably want's to by a bigger boat in one year to go for the airdeck340 with 15hp and then sell it for a >4m with 40hp or go step by step with heavy duty 380 with 15hp and then 25hp the difference is small between airdeck 340 (3400eur) and heavy-duty (3700eur)

Thanks in advance
Sotiris
Old 17 July 2004, 00:26   #4

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I have always understood airdecks to be better in terms of weight, and rigidity and stability; a wooden (slatted) deck isn't quite as rigid (becasue it has joins) as an airdeck.
I bought my Quicksilver 270 AD last year as an introduction to RIBs, and upgraded to a 4.1m RIB with 40hp this year. Personally (if money weren't an issue) I would buy a small inflatable then upgrade to a RIB later on; you are a bit more limited with an inflatable in that seating isn't great, you don't have the luxuries of electric start/power trim etc. and you can't bolt things to the floor!
However, if you only want it for some cheap fun, go for the inflatable. In terms of value they're great.
Another thing to consider is range - you'll be able to go further in a RIB than an inflatable (especially in terms of comfort!).
Old 17 July 2004, 04:40   #5

Town: stanmore
Boat name: zippy
Make: zodiac pro 550
Length: 5.5
Engine: 90hp
Hi
I had the zodiac 340 with merc 15hp for 2yrs and i found it to be a great a combination,
I was very pleased with the air deck, it stood up to a lot punishment which included taking a dog with us on most trips and fishing.
I even pulled a donut behind it.
Also go for the set of wheels that attach to the transom (optional extra) and a 12v high volume electric pump both are well worth the money and will take all the hard work out of seting up.
Have fun
Alistair
Old 17 July 2004, 08:16   #6

Thanks all for your advices,

I thought that airdeck was not so stable and fragile but as I see it can handle dogs as well, (what is the size of the dog? I have a dalmatian and it could be nice to take him a test ride) ;-)

Now regarding my trips which I wan't to make are attached one for Milos and the other for Naxos, what do you think can an 340 airdeck (or 380 heavy-duty) with 15hp can handle it?

I estimated with a speed of 20knots I will need three hours to make the tour for milos (am i correct) and my next question is if one fuel tank is enough or should I buy another one?

Thanks
Sotiris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	milosrout.PNG
Views:	588
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	6983   Click image for larger version

Name:	naxosrout.PNG
Views:	865
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	6984  
Old 17 July 2004, 10:37   #7

The dog is a west highland terrier , brain the size of a pea, head the size of a plantpot, Heart as big as a lion , ohyeah sharp claws!

I found the air deck extremly rigid when pump to manufacters recommendations I dont see why it would not take a large dog. I would buy the same set up again no question,
I do not recall Kieth Hart posting for some time ,But he's the man to tell you just how much fun you can have in a SIB!
Alistair
Old 17 July 2004, 13:09   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
How portable are these airdecks? How easy are they to pack up again? I would like to take one away with me in my Landrover to do a bit of exploring - probably with my 8hp aux engine borrowed for the purpose!
Old 17 July 2004, 13:36   #9

The airdeck, especially the quick silver one is lighter about 25% (39Kg) compared with the heavy-duty version (60Kg), the first one only needs to pump it about 30minutes the second about 50minutes.

Two persons can lift an airdeck easily (for example a couple), the second needs two to three men.

If my main concern was the weight I would also used it, but since I will inflate it two times (one in Milos and in Naxos) and then put it in the marine, I have considered also the heavy-duty mainly because it can also take an 25hp in the future.

Hmmm.... I will let you know this Thursday when i will have my little first SIB ;-)

Sotiris
Old 17 July 2004, 20:38   #10

Zodiac Touring MK II C + Merc M15

I had Zodiac Touring 380 MK II C with 2 stroke Merc M15 outboard (same as Mariner 15 hp). With light load the max speed was around 20-21 kts. Zodiac is nice, stable and well made boat but the hull is quite flat and that means hard ride in choppy water.

Between Zodiacs I would choose Touring model if 15 hp is max pover.

Jari
Old 17 July 2004, 22:02   #11

Thanks jari your description helped me a lot, since QS 380 SHD is more or less the same (regarding dimensions and kgs) with the Touring 380MKIIC I got an idea.

Could you please enlightme also regarding the following:

a) The deck was wooden?

b) When you mention light load, what exactly do you mean? (Two persons+plus water, food etc)

I'm thinking lastly to use it temporarily (for my August summer vacation) and then exchange it with an 25hp do you think that's reasonable or should I better have it for a year or two with 15Hp and the go to a bigger one (5m RIB with extra HP?), in that case which option has good resale value? Currently between zodiac and qs the difference is about 1500 euros, does it worth it?

Thank you all for your help
Sotiris
Old 17 July 2004, 23:36   #12

For the future reader of this post ...

By googling I discovered the following link, showing all the procedure for a Quicksilver 380 SHD, from unpacking utill the first plane with two persons and 6HP machine!

http://www.dlrg.de/Gliederung/Westfa...h/schlauch.htm

also attached as a zip.

So now I'm convinced QS380SHD+15hp (and then 25Hp) will be my first SIB.

I would like to thank you all for your suggestions

Cheers
Sotiris
Attached Files
File Type: zip D380.zip (109.4 KB, 255 views)
Old 17 July 2004, 23:48   #13

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by anxer
from the package till the plane with two persons and 6HP
doesn't look like it's on the plane to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxer
So now I'm convinced
about what?

Codprawn - if you want portability, go for the Zodiac airdeck SIBs they're much lighter than all the other SIBs.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2004, 00:15   #14

Town: hoorn
Boat name: red october
Make: ribcraft 6.8 offshore
Length: 6.8
Engine: honda 225
Hi Anxer,

I don"t agree with all the guys before!! If you like a nice solid boat go for the boat with the alloy floor ( or whatever the make at the moment ). It shure is more work to put together and it isn't as light as an aerodeck but it shure is more stable. It has reinforcements in the lenght direction of the boat to keep it straight ( it won't bent in waves like an aerodek). About the weigt: dont worry they will all go fast!!!! And about another engine; I think it's a lot cheaper to keep this engine for two years and than buy a complete new boat, than buy a single new engine next year and a new boat (probably with another new engine)
Old 18 July 2004, 08:58   #15

Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Length: 3m +
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligator
Hi
I had the zodiac 340 with merc 15hp for 2yrs and i found it to be a great a combination,

Alistair
Did you have a long or shortshaft 15,my 15 cavitates terribly above half throttle on a bombard 340 airdeck although I havent got around to playing with engine angle etc yet
Old 18 July 2004, 13:22   #16

To be honest not sure i think it was the long shaft , never seemed to have a problem with cavitation except when i trimmed to far up.