Old 23 January 2007, 13:26   #21

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Why not use a zapcat - would be fine for rescue as well as racing.

Arancias are quite popular in Wales - they have some great videos on their website

http://www.arancia.co.nz/index.htm
Old 23 January 2007, 15:10   #22

Town: Ilfracombe
Boat name: Ceasar P850
Make: Ceasar
Engine: Twin Honda 225s
Ceasar Surfcat

We only offer the Ceasar Surfcat in PVC as it has been tried and tested for numerous years without problem. We use the same standard of PVC to manufacture all of the boats in our X-Class range. Hypalon is more expensive and far more labour intensive to work with which would bring the price of the product up dramatically.

The hull design is the same as the Thundercat although the freeboard is slightly lower in the Surfcat giving it a more stable ride. However, you have the benefit of the round nose giving you more usable deck space, making it ideal for a rescue craft.

Please look at www.ceasarmarine.com for more information.
Old 23 January 2007, 20:08   #23

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
don't do it!

I bought an identical boat 2 years ago , I would say that they are NOT up to commerical duty, I've had 5 dinghys over 6 years and 3 ribs and this qs was the worst by far.
the floor kinked with only 10 hp 4 stroke mariner on transom, the floor delaminated rapidly, the rubbing strake is about 6 millimetres in profile and frankly inadequate, qs warranty enquiry was badly dealt with. The fabric was very thin and the towing ring on the front was so weak it died when tied to a mooring under normal use,.

If people are to be rescued in your boat I would for my 2 penneths worth avoid this model,.
Old 23 January 2007, 20:09   #24

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
re don't do it!

the above related to quicksilver.
Old 23 January 2007, 20:37   #25

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
We only offer the Ceasar Surfcat in PVC as it has been tried and tested for numerous years without problem. We use the same standard of PVC to manufacture all of the boats in our X-Class range. Hypalon is more expensive and far more labour intensive to work with which would bring the price of the product up dramatically.

The hull design is the same as the Thundercat although the freeboard is slightly lower in the Surfcat giving it a more stable ride. However, you have the benefit of the round nose giving you more usable deck space, making it ideal for a rescue craft.

Please look at www.ceasarmarine.com for more information.
It would be great to see more pictures and maybe some videos of the surfcats and thunderbolts on that site.
Old 23 January 2007, 21:24   #26

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
I bought an identical boat 2 years ago , I would say that they are NOT up to commerical duty, I've had 5 dinghys over 6 years and 3 ribs and this qs was the worst by far.
the floor kinked with only 10 hp 4 stroke mariner on transom, the floor delaminated rapidly, the rubbing strake is about 6 millimetres in profile and frankly inadequate, qs warranty enquiry was badly dealt with. The fabric was very thin and the towing ring on the front was so weak it died when tied to a mooring under normal use,.

If people are to be rescued in your boat I would for my 2 penneths worth avoid this model,.
I agree about not up to commercial spec but my quicksilver 3.1m is fine and takes the 15hp Suzuki 4 stroke no probs - what floor did you have? Mine is the proper ply floorboards and make it very riogid but they are a bit of a pain to keep taking apart.
Old 23 January 2007, 21:34   #27

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian M View Post
I had a 430 HD with a 30 Merc on the back. I have driven quite a few SIBs as a diver, and I would not go near the Quicksilver as a rescue boat. They have a tendancy to fold at the bow, just where you need the strength, if the tubes are not absolutely fully inflated. In my opinion the stringers are not carried far enough forward, and the aluminium floor boards on mine had some very questionable sharp edges that really have no place on an inflatable boat. Engine size - I found the 30 plenty scarry enough on such a light boat. Also given the requirements of a safety boat, I would go for one with hypalon tubes as others have mentioned here. Just my opinion
There you go, Chapter and verse. Open and close! I love it.
That is the end of that. I just love it when someone just hits the buttons.
In this instance we have saved the Rowing club a mistake.
If we keep going, then all mistakes will be ironed out and everyone will learn and the service will get better to all.

Yes Bring it on, lets have the truth... Thank you Ian.
Old 23 January 2007, 21:40   #28

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Some related info on this thread form a couple months back;

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....highlight=SIBs
Old 24 January 2007, 01:53   #29

Town: North Carolina, USA
Boat name: MissRocks
Make: Avon SR4
Engine: Yamaha 50 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin View Post
Cheap rig then
I would consider some closed cell foam for the deck and some foot straps.
Hi Tim, I have an Avon W400 sib and am interested in implementing your suggestions for my boat. Are you talking about using closed cell foam as a covering for the deck or as a replacement. My boat has a heavy 4 piece interlocking plywood deck. I would like to learn as much as possible about modifications and techniques that allow these boats to be operated "reasonably" in surf. In other words it looks like fun but scary as ---l. Any resources or advice appreciated.
AJ
Old 24 January 2007, 07:53   #30

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Closed cell foam bonded to the deck and wind surfing foot straps attached through the deck and foam .
You will have to make sure that no bolt heads will wear through the material underneath .

See if you can get patterned foam so get a better grip windsurfing straps are pretty cheap and easy to fit .
Old 24 January 2007, 08:10   #31

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Why not use a zapcat - would be fine for rescue as well as racing.

Arancias are quite popular in Wales - they have some great videos on their website

http://www.arancia.co.nz/index.htm
Arancia ace sib and only produced for rescue .SLSA NZ and SLSA AU use them for IRB racing as well as a few other makes.
Zap Cat no bow cover so not good for beach rescue but they are used by the Army as a safety boat good stable platform some kite surfing schools favour them one lifeguard club up in Windsor use two they like them due to low wash at slow speed.