Old 24 June 2008, 21:25   #1

Length: 3m +
Quicksilver 380 HD with Tohatsu 30????

Hi

I have a Quicksilver 380 HD with a mariner 15hp outboard. Whilst it is very acceptable for day to day use I crave more performance to tow ringos and other toys etc.

I have been offered a Tohatsu 30hp 2 stroke outboard and I am wondering if I would be wrong to use this when it is 5hp more than the recommended max. (it is well under the max outboard weight)

Has anyone any experience using a 30hp engine on a Quicksilver 380 HD?
Old 24 June 2008, 21:43   #2

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonstret View Post
Hi

I have a Quicksilver 380 HD with a mariner 15hp outboard. Whilst it is very acceptable for day to day use I crave more performance to tow ringos and other toys etc.

I have been offered a Tohatsu 30hp 2 stroke outboard and I am wondering if I would be wrong to use this when it is 5hp more than the recommended max. (it is well under the max outboard weight)

Has anyone any experience using a 30hp engine on a Quicksilver 380 HD?
My bum hurts at the very thought
Old 24 June 2008, 21:58   #3

I'm happy to live a little dangerously :-)

Just want to know if anyone is actually doing the same (I read some people us 40hp on a 430 hd which is 10hp more than recommended)
Old 24 June 2008, 22:34   #4

Boat name: Ocean Escapes
Make: Excalibur
Length: 9m +
Engine: 150Yamaha&300Verado
Hey, Im one of those people! I have a 430HD XS with a 40hp mariner, Is far as my research led me before buying the engine was that as long as your under the max transom weight your ok (to a certain degree) now im not going to tell you that it will be ok, however i have gone 10hp over my max and it is still safe and handles very good. i dont go full throttle every where as she is very fast and your just burning fuel but its always nice to know you have loads of extra power if you need it, and it comes in very handy when tubing or wakeboarding, My boat cruises nicely at 20kts at about 3/4 throttle and so far the max speed i have got from her is 26kts and that was with a heavy load. hope this helps some what..any questions just ask!

And she would be a rocket with a 30hp!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0034.jpg
Views:	2073
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	35836  
Old 25 June 2008, 03:03   #5

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonstret View Post
Hi

I have been offered a Tohatsu 30hp 2 stroke outboard. Has anyone any experience using a 30hp engine on a Quicksilver 380 HD?
We are using alum floor 380 sibs with Tohatsu 25/30 HP 2 strokes engines, the weight is the same for both 52 Kg. A nice sib/engine configuration. If max speed scares you, by a simple bolt adjustment can limit the 30 HP throttle grip not to reach full wot and perform as a 25 HP.

http://www.pbase.com/locozodiac/image/84897479

As a safe sibbing issue : don't exceed max HP than the manufacturers plate recommends, 5 more HP will be ok, but not 10 HP more than max recommended, that is more power, more transom weight. New sibs have lighter alum floors compared to old sibs, have seen broken, bent floors & side joinners for using 40 HP on 420/430 sibs recommended for max 30 HP. No need to full throttle to plane, cruise, tow or whatever you intend to do with a 30 HP/380 sib.

Happy Sibbing
Old 25 June 2008, 11:58   #6

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
My brother in-law has the same combo QS 3.8 Ali floor & the Tohatsu 25 hp up rated to 30 hp & badged as a Mariner Marathon!
Also my other brother in-law has a Tohatsu 3.8 with ply floor & the same Tohatsu 25 hp up rated to 30 hp, both go very well!
But they can not out run me in my Bombard Airotec 3.8 & 15 Hp!
Old 25 June 2008, 16:53   #7

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
My brother in-law has the same combo QS 3.8 Ali floor & the Tohatsu 25 hp up rated to 30 hp & badged as a Mariner Marathon!
Also my other brother in-law has a Tohatsu 3.8 with ply floor & the same Tohatsu 25 hp up rated to 30 hp, both go very well!
But they can not out run me in my Bombard Airotec 3.8 & 15 Hp!
Hola Nick

Can you ask your brother in law what parts has been changed/removed to update a Toh/Mariner 25 to 30 HP ? We do not import 25 engines, only 30, that's because have a special same factory price for both models, like the idea to work with the 30 and compete with Yamaha 25 HP. Sales strategy: get 5 HP free for the same Yamaha 25 list price. Find incredible that a 15 beats a updated 30, probably so if the conversion has been done without the total parts changed/ needed for 30 the model.

Happy Sibbing
Old 25 June 2008, 21:06   #8

Town: Holland
Make: Brig F360S
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
I think that won't be a problem, 5hp is not that much extra horse power.
Old 26 June 2008, 07:59   #9

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Hola Nick

Can you ask your brother in law what parts has been changed/removed to update a Toh/Mariner 25 to 30 HP ? We do not import 25 engines, only 30, that's because have a special same factory price for both models, like the idea to work with the 30 and compete with Yamaha 25 HP. Sales strategy: get 5 HP free for the same Yamaha 25 list price. Find incredible that a 15 beats a updated 30, probably so if the conversion has been done without the total parts changed/ needed for 30 the model.

Happy Sibbing
Hi I do not know what has been done both where sold as 25 & hold that they would be up rated to 30 by the retailer of the engine, both bought from different sellers!
I was out with the one with the Tohatsu outboard & 3.8 Tohatsu Sib 2 weeks ago & I would say he just had the edge on me in speed as I could not out run him! So I would say his is loosing up now & will have the edge on me, but his set up weighs twice what mine dose!

Nick
Old 26 June 2008, 08:34   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinier View Post
I think that won't be a problem, 5hp is not that much extra horse power.
its all relative... 5HP extra on 25 HP is 20% extra... I am sure the boat will be OK - but would be checking with your insurance if that sort of thing is a concern to you.
Old 26 June 2008, 09:00   #11

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
i used a Tohatsu 40 on the 430 which is what the brochure showed on the front page 3 years ago, the Tohatsu was lighter than the Mariner 40 as well!! it flew!!
Old 26 June 2008, 09:17   #12

Town: Holland
Make: Brig F360S
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
its all relative... 5HP extra on 25 HP is 20% extra... I am sure the boat will be OK - but would be checking with your insurance if that sort of thing is a concern to you.
O yeah, that's a good idea. Must insurances won't pay out any damage on the boat caused by too much horsepower, such as a broken transom, even when it's a factory fault.
Old 26 June 2008, 09:58   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinier View Post
O yeah, that's a good idea. Must insurances won't pay out any damage on the boat caused by too much horsepower, such as a broken transom, even when it's a factory fault.
And some won't pay at all (always looking for excuses) even if the damage/accident is unrelated to the engine power as it was being used outwith its "design specification".
Old 06 July 2008, 16:46   #14

Just to finish the story I fitting the 30hp engine and took it out for the first time this weekend.

The difference between the 15hp and 30hp is amazing.

In operation everything felt controlled and comfortable. With 5 big chaps she planed nicely accross a choppy Poole Harbour on Friday.

Thanks for the advice