Old 21 July 2015, 09:46   #1

Town: London
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15
Quicksilver 380 hd- Advice wanted

Hi just bought a quicksilver 380hd from ebay in fairly good condition at a good price.

I have noticed it hasn't come with the strengthening bars that join the boards together each side, can anyone suggest where I can get these from? To prevent it from flexing.

Also the inflatable floor in the valve has stuck in the fully open position so im having to rely on the valve cover to prevent air escaping does anyone have any tips to release this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Old 21 July 2015, 09:58   #2

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
Don't know about the valve, and if the seller has not got the bars and it was not listed as they were missing, I would say you have a case for a partial refund
Old 21 July 2015, 10:02   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Worth asking if they forgot them and they're still in a shed perhaps?

Then unless they were stated as missing as the boat is unusable without them a "not as described" process is fully justified as mentioned above... part refund to allow for them to be bought would be fair. Think they are £150-£200 a set but check this out with a Mercury dealer.

If you bought knowing they were missing then cheapest option is to have them made from hardwood locally by a woodworking shop with the routers to take out a groove to match the edge profile of the floor edges.

I've had an old Avon done like this and they were fine.
Old 21 July 2015, 10:32   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Hi Mike,

Welcome. As the others have said the boat is pretty useless and unusable without the floor stringers. Do you have a link to the eBay ad? Most valves can be unscrewed (needle nose pliers) from the main body and inspected.
Old 21 July 2015, 11:04   #5

Mike,

Not sure if you are new to SIBs but don't think we're overstating re it being unusable without the stringers. The stringers present a nice smooth profile to the tubes but the floor edges/corners on alloy floor models are sharp enough to cut through a tube if you attempt to use without.

If your Quicksilver is the one pictured on grass in front of a light coloured chalet type bungalow then I can see it is fitted with stringers in the images.... I reckon a message to the seller will find they're still in his garage!
Old 21 July 2015, 12:51   #6

I didn't realise they were missing when Bought it, to be honest but I payed £800 for the boat and outboard so if I have to fork out a bit for the stringers it's not the end of the world.

What kind of timber did you use? I might look into this option. I've tried to attach a photo of the boards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	107247  
Old 21 July 2015, 13:06   #7

Do you have a link to the listing?
Old 21 July 2015, 13:17   #8

Quicksilver 12ft Inflatable Boat & Mercury Engine | eBay

Im not sure this will work
Old 21 July 2015, 14:32   #9

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver mike View Post
Hi just bought a quicksilver 380hd from ebay in fairly good condition at a good price.

I have noticed it hasn't come with the strengthening bars that join the boards together each side, can anyone suggest where I can get these from? To prevent it from flexing.

Also the inflatable floor in the valve has stuck in the fully open position so im having to rely on the valve cover to prevent air escaping does anyone have any tips to release this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Hi mike

Have 2 one peace stringers made from Oak or alike ,much stronger than original 4 peace stringers as you will not get the hinge affect.If someone could give you the dimensions,Don't use the boat without them though.Could you post the price for being made as I was thinking of have some made for my honewave.
Happy boating.
Old 21 July 2015, 14:47   #10

I came across this site that seem to list them at $12.48 each, works out at £31 before postage.

Quicksilver Inflatables(380 / 380E) (Page 2) FOR INFLATABLE BOAT QUICKSILVER PVC SOFT BOTTOM

Im going to make some enquiries about getting some made up in timber.

Mike
Old 21 July 2015, 14:54   #11

Quote:
I came across this site that seem to list them at $12.48 each, works out at £31 before postage.

Quicksilver Inflatables(380 / 380E) (Page 2) FOR INFLATABLE BOAT QUICKSILVER PVC SOFT BOTTOM

Im going to make some enquiries about getting some made up in timber.

Mike

Listing was sold as 'used'.

To quote:

Quote:
Condition:

Used: An item that has been previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or an item that has been returned to the seller after a period of use. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections
The item was not as described.

The seller is obliged to supply them to you or compensate you, eBay will certainly sort this out, they are so heavily weighted now in favour of the buyer.

Just call eBay customer support and let them help you.

I think, judging from the listing Q below that she is not familiar with the boat and as pointed out earlier they are probably in the shed or garage!

Quote:
Please can you advise 1/. What is the model reference as per the plate on the transom 2/. How many holes have been patched on the RIB 3/. Do the valves hold the air pressure Thanks 12-Jul-15
A: Hi, thank you for your questions. The boat has 1 patch The valve holds pressure 100% it was pumped up over 3 weeks ago For these photos and has not deflated at all. I am struggling to find the model number, there is a sticker but part of it is worn, what I can see is 's.nop2871' I think the last 2 digits may read 05 but can't be sure as there isa black mark over them. This may not be the correct details as I am selling this on behalf of my husband so not sure what I am looking for Kind regards, Kelly
Old 21 July 2015, 14:57   #12

By the look of the eBay listing I'm sure they have just been forgotten, who wraps the bars up with the sib when packing
Old 21 July 2015, 15:07   #13

Yep... it would be daft not to message the buyer and ask in the stringers are in the shed/garage still.

Max is right though that sold in the used category it should be useable which it isn't... however just to cheer you up as long as that engine is a nice runner it's probably worth 50% more than you paid for the whole lot so you've bought a very cheap engine plus a free boat and free accs. Well done.
Old 23 July 2015, 19:37   #14

Any update on them bars?
Old 23 July 2015, 20:12   #15

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Be carefull Mike.... IMO ..Fenlanders quote is accurate.

I have a quicksilver 4.3HD so know the boat. I suspect you are quoting for part 22 ..which is the ali trim on the edge of the floor boards..not the stringer. If you do order the parts.. I think it is part 24 you want x four..plus the two end caps .. part 23 and 25 x four.

However dont take my word for gosspel..check it out yourself..in case the wrong parts arrive ..if you order them
Old 23 July 2015, 20:20   #16

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
the sticking valve may just be locked in the open position for deflating . try pushing the valve centre in slightly and turning it anticlockwise quarter of a turn if it is it will come out 10mm or so and seal
Old 23 July 2015, 21:13   #17

Got the valve sorted so happy with that.

Regarding the stringers/joiners/joining bars the seller says he didn't know it was supposed to have any.

I have asked for a price from my local Mercury stealer, however I'm strongly considering getting some timber ones made up. However I could really do with a photo to get an idea of the profile can anyone help?
Old 23 July 2015, 23:05   #18

What's the damage ! !
Old 23 July 2015, 23:24   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave3235 View Post
What's the damage ! !
Do you know anyone in demolition business bit of oak would be nice.
Old 24 July 2015, 06:25   #20

Mike I said further above you have got great value with this outfit so the missing stringers need viewing in this context. However their reply shows an element of deceit so I'd prod the seller one more time remembering the two statements on the listing (as quoted by Max in much more detail)...

... is fully operational and functions as intended... Very good condition and extremely sturdy.

If the whole set of stringers and end plugs are say £150 I'd try for a part refund of half that to make the point they've sold you something as useable which is totally unusable.

If you decide to go for wood & want the profile of the stringer just order a plastic end plug. These go in the end of the stringer and are its exact inner and outer profile... less than £2 last time I bought one.