Old 07 May 2012, 20:40   #1

Town: Christchurch
Boat name: Henry
Make: Honwave
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 15 HP
Questions...questions!

Hello

I'm hoping this is a safe place to ask daft questions!

I've a 4m hon wave, how critical are these boats to pressure? I've no way of measuring it at the moment as my pump has no gauge so it's all a bit of guess work!! The boat is on a hard standing when not in use, can I assume it's ok sat on its transom wheels ( genuine Honda ones )? And last but not least, should I take the edge off the pressure in the tubes.....or leave as is when not being used?

As I said, probably bloody stupid questions but any advice appreciated

Mark
Old 07 May 2012, 20:47   #2

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
If your boat doesn't have pressure release valves then don't over inflate it as when the weather gets hot the pressure will increase and may damage the tubes. However, given the weather over the last month.....
Old 08 May 2012, 07:04   #3

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Pressure is absolutely critical for the floor more so than the tubes - check many past topics on floppy floor problems for more. Easy to buy or make a pressure gauge but as a very rough estimate and if you are using a foot pump or stirrup pump the effort needed for the final floor pressure is close to maximum for an average adult!

Leaving it on the transom wheels is OK but support the front well and cover it to keep the sun/weather off the tubes.
Old 08 May 2012, 10:16   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Max (Hello, hope things are OK with you) I'm guessing Mark has the T40 (unless he's rounding up a T38 to 4m long) which will be an alloy floor with low pressure keel like mine. Still important to get the boat up to pressure for best performance.

Really you should get a pressure gauge Mark, I like the one that's seperate to the pump as it's easier to do a check in the middle of the day without the hassle of attaching the pump. I think this one will fit a Honwave but ask the seller first if you think of buying.

INFLATABLE BOAT PRESSURE GAUGE, Europa Sport, ** NEW ** | eBay

I see a bit of a problem if you do leave the boat inflated on a hardstanding for long periods as GJOKYZ hints. If inflated at the correct pressure for use this week at 13 degC then a summer 25 degC plus day with the added reflected heat from a hard surface could risk stressing or bursting the tubes. So ideally you'd leave it a bit soft and top up on the day of use.

However if you leave the tubes soft (and assuming it's an alloy floor) it isn't ideal to have the transom held up on the wheels because the tubes will want to sag like a banana but the floor will stay rigid. The Honwave alloy floors have some fairly sharp edges and the tubes have small areas of reinforcing where the floor edges touch. But if the boat goes out of shape the floor could snag on an unprotected area.

If I have to leave my Honwave with the wheels on as you're thinking for more than a short time then I have a fat inflatable cushion I place under the keel below where the first alloy floor section is... i.e. about one third of the way back from the bow. Makes it sit level and better supported.

Are you leaving the outboard on it when stored, what outboard did you get?
Old 08 May 2012, 23:20   #5

Town: South West
Boat name: Das Boot
Make: Honwave T40
Engine: Tohatsu, 20
I have a T40 which I bought new and the pressure gauge didn't work at all. I was really worried about over inflation while waiting for a replacement gauge so pumped it up until it felt fairly drum tight using the supplied foot pump (with the normal in connection).

I used it like that for a month and when the replacement gauge came I was shocked how little pressure was in it... Less than 1 bar on any tube. I literally had to jump up and down on the pump to get to 2.5 bar.

The floor creaks if under inflated and you can feel it give a bit at speed but performance wise it makes little difference.

If I were you I'd order a replacement gauge, they are about 15 quid from a Honwave dealer, and store it 0.5 to 1 bar under pressure and keep an eye on it if it gets really hot, it should be covered really to avoid uv damage and then less likely to get hot.
Old 08 May 2012, 23:32   #6

Sorry move the decimal place left 1 for everything in my last post. I'm sure you would have noticed my error but just in case.
Old 09 May 2012, 14:41   #7

Hello all

Thanks for the advice......I think I'll invest in a pressure guage.

The boat is in the boatyard at the moment with the 'edge' knocked off the pressure, I've propped it up as suggested about a 3rd of the way along the keel and the tubes seem to be holding shape fine.....i'll keep an eye on it and just pump it up when i need to...it's no great problem and I could do with the exercise!!!!!!

Fenlander, I've got a 15 Mariner which seems to push it along really well. I've had the cover painted in our bodyshop and a contact has made me up some pattern decals....really pleased with it as it seems to run perfectly!

Mark
Old 09 May 2012, 17:54   #8

Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Sold it !
Engine: Totallyhotsue 9.8 2S
Home made pressure gauges discussed here:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/adaptin...sib-42375.html
Old 09 May 2012, 22:31   #9

I would be interested to know what speed you get out of it full throttle with a 15 HP? I get 22 mph 1 up and 21 mph 2 or 3 up. That's with a 20 HP four stroke.

Trying to decide if it is worth going for a different prop... Don't think it will make much difference really.

Hope you are enjoying yours, I'm really pleased with mine, great fun
Old 09 May 2012, 22:37   #10

If you don't have the boat manual you can find it here http://www.honda.co.jp/ownersmanual/...boat&l=english
Old 10 May 2012, 07:31   #11

Thanks Matt - that manual is really useful as I didn't get one with the boat!

I'll report back on that top speed.....only really been out on the river so far which would give me serious issues with the dinghy sailors / rowers if I were to try!! It was very windy when i moved it to the yard on Monday which made the ride ...interesting!!

Really pleased with the boat, was more or less exactly what I was after! After having run a V8 American sports boat for a couple of years, the thought of putting a spoonful of fuel in for a great days fun is the appeal, with the only restriction on range being how much fuel you can carry!!!!

Just need some sun now.......

Cheers

Mark
Old 10 May 2012, 21:16   #12

MattD

I'll need to wait until the weather improves and I can get off the river to check that speed out....or my relationship with the rowers and sailors could reach an all time low!

Just a quickie, do you have a plug that screws in to the threaded plughole on the outside of the transom....because i don't and I wasn't if that's how they came?

Cheers

Mark
Old 10 May 2012, 21:27   #13

Cheers, would be good to have a comparison. No rush though, I have only recently been able to open mine up cus I only got to use it on rivers before. Even a hint of speeding and people fishing get the right hump!

There is a bung attached to a piece of cord that plugs in drain hole on the transom from the inside, but nothing that fits in the threaded part on the outside, wondered what it was for myself and assumed it must be something to do with the manufacturing process.