Old 25 January 2003, 16:15   #21

Town: cambridge
Make: Valiant DR600
Length: Six
Engine: Merc 4 st. EFI 115hp
Solved my problem with an LVM inflator/deflator
High volume low pressure, takes it up to about 200mb in a few minutes, and crocodile clips for battery
Seamark Nunn £65
Mega price for what it is, but not much to go wrong and no more risk of Coronary.
Old 25 January 2003, 18:49   #22
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
They're certainly not cheap, but they do a superb job. I still haven't seen anything that comes close.

John
Old 25 January 2003, 18:53   #23

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Is that the one that has a kind of double bellows and rocker thingy!
Old 25 January 2003, 19:02   #24
Administrator

Nope, it has a pair of croc clips and a whizzy round thing!

Have a look here

John
Old 25 January 2003, 19:12   #25

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Oh right, A pal bought one once, I think it was branded as zodiac,
had a pair of bellows and a pressure "dial" which when set to the desired psi switched off the motor at the appropriate pressure, nice coz you could just leave it to get on with it, pumped pretty quickly too, I think it was about 80 quid
Old 25 January 2003, 20:32   #26

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
LVM inflator/deflator

Current: 25AMP Max

wonder if this is a typo??? 2.5 would seem more like the mark for a little electric motor
Old 25 January 2003, 21:01   #27
JCW

Town: Essex
Boat name: Inflatable
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha F6
Send a message via AIM to JCW
25A is about right. The unit should normally be connected direct to the battery, hence the croc clips and large diameter cable.

I have used the LVM for three years now, including a year of sibbing. Very good units for blowing and sucking high volumes of air.
If using this unit on a high pressure floor Sib, then use it to put the bulk of the air in, then finish off with low volume High pressure foot pump.

JCW
JCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2003, 21:14   #28

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
I stand corrected!
Old 25 July 2008, 16:00   #29

Town: Germany/Texas
Boat name: wicked weasel
Make: 3.6m Metzeler Maya S
Engine: 6hp
Old thread, new post.

Sorry for my ignorance to the subject at hand, I am new to the board, and as we speak I haven't even seen my new/old SIB in person yet. I pick it up on Monday.

The last SIB I owned was over 20 years ago, but I am back, and I can't wait.

Now to my comment, I was picking up a new water pump for my motor this week and thought I would see what they had in the way of inflatable gear while I was waiting for them to find my order. I need a new air pump for the boat, the previous owner of my boat has/had two boats and only one pump and wanted to keep it. So I need a new one. They (the Marina) had one, a double action hand pump for 67 Euros, hum sounds a little expensive. I think I will look around some, I thought.

On the way home I stopped by the store to pick up food and right there next to the tomatoes, is a display with water toys for kids, cheap inflatable beds, and a pump!

The same **** pump I had just seen at the dealer, for 6 Euros!!!

I know anything marked with the words “Marine” is going to cost more, but 61Euros more, is a little much for a 6 Euro pump.
Old 25 July 2008, 17:49   #30

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby.budd View Post
You can, and i am sure there are reasons not to, buy a dive cylinder and reg second hand or use your own dive kit and adapt one of the pipes to fit your tubes. (gaffer tape and hose often work sufficently)
A buddy of mine does exactly this. He uses a flex-to-blow nozzle on the inflator hose (quick release fitting), that's taped to a scuba hose protector that happens to fit his Zodiac valves perfectly.

jky
Old 25 July 2008, 21:19   #31

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappingTurtle View Post

On the way home I stopped by the store to pick up food and right there next to the tomatoes, is a display with water toys for kids, cheap inflatable beds, and a pump!

The same **** pump I had just seen at the dealer, for 6 Euros!!!

I know anything marked with the words “Marine” is going to cost more, but 61Euros more, is a little much for a 6 Euro pump.
that will be aldi then, i bought a 12v inflator from there and a double action hand pump for a fiver each, inflates our 5m avon in about 5 mins
Old 26 July 2008, 18:56   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
that will be aldi then, i bought a 12v inflator from there and a double action hand pump for a fiver each, inflates our 5m avon in about 5 mins
Thats the one! Wished I'd bought the 12v version also now. :-(
Old 28 July 2008, 22:08   #33

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
saw a sib boater this week end that uses the car air vent to blow up his sib well it takes it up to inflate then he tops off with the pump ,he has made an adaptor that goes over the top of the passenger side air vent his wife holds it in position whilst he holds the other end on to the boats valve after closing all the other cars air vents ,dont know if they can be bought but this looked home made.
Old 31 July 2008, 07:55   #34

Town: Portknockie
Boat name: Utopia 2
Make: Seapro 3.8
Engine: Parsun 15 hp
ref descent air pump

I bought a bravo 12 auto shut off pump for my 3.8 it blew my boat up in a few minutes to the correct pressure then shuts off Ive seen them as expensive as £89 and £10 delivery to the highlands.
I got one from the bosuns locker Falmouth for £63 with free delivery if you spend over £50
iTS A CRACKING PRICE THAT You can use it from the car battery terminals when your out, when Im at home I connect a 12volt battery charger/booster to the pumps terminals it does the jobby

www.bosunslockerchandlery.co.uk

Happy Sibbing
Old 31 July 2008, 08:39   #35
Administrator

It looks like this only goes up to 300 mBar (4.3 PSI) which is OK for hard floor SIBs, but not for airdecks. I think that the more expensive Bravo pumps are the higher pressure versions.

John
Old 01 August 2008, 07:37   #36

Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
It looks like this only goes up to 300 mBar (4.3 PSI) which is OK for hard floor SIBs, but not for airdecks. I think that the more expensive Bravo pumps are the higher pressure versions.

John
Yes John
This is great for my alu hard floored seapro, and yes you do need more psi for the aerodecks.
Hopefully be going for my maiden voyage soon I just need a barrel to wash my outboards in for when I get back otherwise ship shape and ready to go I cant wait but know I have to.
A mate said ( I will get you a large plastic barrel mate ) still waiting grrrrrrrr Ive missed some cracking weather up here nice calm mirror seas, hope I HAV'ENT missed the boat so to speak.
Chunky
Old 01 August 2008, 12:46   #37

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunky293 View Post
Hopefully be going for my maiden voyage soon I just need a barrel to wash my outboards in for when I get back otherwise ship shape and ready to go I cant wait but know I have to.
A mate said ( I will get you a large plastic barrel mate ) still waiting grrrrrrrr Chunky
Better use water muffs for washing your engine, it's hell of a job to add water to barrel, raise engine from barrel, throw away/ remove oily water from barrel, etc. Muffs will make your boating life easy, get yourself a engine stand to keep your engine vertical once water flushed if you won't be letting the engine sit on your sib's transom.

Happy Boating
Old 02 August 2008, 00:18   #38

not sure what to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Better use water muffs for washing your engine, it's hell of a job to add water to barrel, raise engine from barrel, throw away/ remove oily water from barrel, etc. Muffs will make your boating life easy, get yourself a engine stand to keep your engine vertical once water flushed if you won't be letting the engine sit on your sib's transom.

Happy Boating
Hi Locozodiac,

I was under the impression after reading articles in this forum that flushing with muffs isn't all that good as there seems to be confusion over wether or not you should have your engine running whilst flushing. Some say that if you dont run your engine whilst flushing with muffs you can damage your impeller, others say that using muffs doesn't get the water to where you need it, So I took the impression after reading the threads on flushing that the best way was to use a barrel of water and run your engine in that guarenteeing that your engine got a good flushing without damage. Its so confusing when so many people all have different methods of flushing, if you search the forum threads on flushing with muffs you will see what I mean.
Thank you for your advice.

All the best
Chunky
Old 02 August 2008, 04:51   #39
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunky293 View Post
Hi Locozodiac,

I was under the impression after reading articles in this forum that flushing with muffs isn't all that good as there seems to be confusion over wether or not you should have your engine running whilst flushing. Some say that if you dont run your engine whilst flushing with muffs you can damage your impeller, others say that using muffs doesn't get the water to where you need it, So I took the impression after reading the threads on flushing that the best way was to use a barrel of water and run your engine in that guarenteeing that your engine got a good flushing without damage. Its so confusing when so many people all have different methods of flushing, if you search the forum threads on flushing with muffs you will see what I mean.
Thank you for your advice.

All the best
Chunky
Without the engine running the muffs do nothing-the only thing you can flush without th engine running is engines that have a dedicated flushing port-and even then only when the manufacturer says it's ok to flush without it running.

Flushing with muffs and the engine running is fine.

Flushing in a barrel is best.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2008, 11:27   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post

Happy Boating
It does not matter if you are using a barrel, or muffs when flushing you motor, the water still contains unburnt oil.

One way, in a container, you can decide what to do with the water afterwards, the other way, you just spray it out on the ground.

My motor, while granted rather small compared to most here, won't work on muffs, so I have no choice but to use the barrel method.

I think it also gives a better indication of the condition of the water pump.

When using muffs you supply water under pressure to the motor, in a barrel, the pump does all the work, or not. If it is in good condition it is easy to see, if not, you see this also. Muffs sometimes cover up a weak or aging impellers early signs of failure.

There are pros & cons to both methods, I prefer the barrel.