Old 20 February 2010, 10:10   #1

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Possible Second hand SIB

Hi all i have been offered a very good bargain on a 3.5 m hypolon sib ,ex rnli ,its a project needs a few patch changes ,but apart from that looking a little tatty, thats all ,well as i say its dirt cheap only problem is were it is located ,,,,,,,,,plymouth,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,me gravesend ,well because its so cheap i don t mind paying the crate n postage ,he say 50 to £65.00 would cover it,,,,,,now has any one any ideas how much it would WEIGH? it has alloy flooring self bailing snouts aswell,how do i go about arranging it , anyone know of any removal people that do this sort of thing? many thanks for looking and hope someone can help,HAPPY SIBBING
Old 20 February 2010, 10:26   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
If its a Y-boat then M Chappelow has one and will know the weight roughly.
It'll all pack up onto a pallett anyway, so I wouldn't worry about the weight.

Codders on here runs speedshift who will transport it for you on a pallett. http://www.speedshift.co.uk/

You'll be able to get a price off his site.

How much is the boat?
Old 20 February 2010, 11:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
If its a Y-boat then M Chappelow has one and will know the weight roughly.
It'll all pack up onto a pallett anyway, so I wouldn't worry about the weight.

Codders on here runs speedshift who will transport it for you on a pallett. http://www.speedshift.co.uk/

You'll be able to get a price off his site.

How much is the boat?
Hi there,i can have it for ,,,,,,,,,,wait for it,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,£150.00 ,plus a home made trailer with it,but cercumstances i can t tow it,many thanks for the info ,excellent
Old 20 February 2010, 11:54   #4

Just had a look and not sure what part of plymouth ?,but with a rough calculation on speedshift about £48 including vat ,going by plymouth town centre,,,,,,,,thats excellent ,wating to see some pic's of it now ,he has it in a lock up,used for fishing and rescues,so must be well looked after,ooh im excited,just a step up from my 2.70 ,the 3.5 i want to keep,this one in portsmouth for holiday fishing,,,,,have to get a good size outboard aswell,more money,lol
Old 20 February 2010, 18:36   #5

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
You jammy bugger TBF!
Hope you enjoy it, I imagine you will find it a big difference to the 2.7m.
Good luck,
Geoff
Old 21 February 2010, 07:45   #6

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbackflound View Post
Just had a look and not sure what part of plymouth ?,but with a rough calculation on speedshift about £48 including vat ,going by plymouth town centre,,,,,,,,thats excellent ,wating to see some pic's of it now ,he has it in a lock up,used for fishing and rescues,so must be well looked after,ooh im excited,just a step up from my 2.70 ,the 3.5 i want to keep,this one in portsmouth for holiday fishing,,,,,have to get a good size outboard aswell,more money,lol
It doesn't usually matter where it is within the UK as long as it not an island or the Highlands.
Old 21 February 2010, 07:56   #7

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
3.5 m ex RNLI would make it a Y boat.

However, the Y boat has plywood floorboards not alloy and the RNLI has used a range of other SIBS over the years (and people have claimed an RNLI heritage for boats and outboards where there isn't one!). Can you post a photo?

It will be (relatively) heavy - design weight is 50kg for the hull and 25kg for the floorboards, so 75kg before you add outboard, anchor etc. I've never weighed mine but that sounds about right. As Chewy says, M Chappelow on here also has one - he has posted the weights of his on here before:

http://rib.net/forum/showpost.php?p=253321&postcount=42

You will most likely want at least a 10HP outboard - I think Mart uses an 8HP, the RNLI use 15HP.

One thing to check - the main floorboard is a single piece, which will overhang a standard pallet significantly - I don't know the effect this has on shipping costs?

Cheers

Chris
Old 21 February 2010, 08:32   #8

Here is a picture of here with the owner
Old 21 February 2010, 08:34   #9

Whoops here is a picture of here with the owner,many thanks guys on the info ,very good price Geoff ,can t belive it ,needs a bit of work but ,a nice little project and will be a luxury fishing with two ,still gonna keep me faithful seago
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jake boat 011.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	49273  
Old 21 February 2010, 08:39   #10

Here is another ,whats a little worring is the transom looks cut away? ,surly water could get in ,any ideas what make the boat is?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jake boat 015.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	49274  
Old 21 February 2010, 09:05   #11

Hmm, well I'm not sure but I don't think it is a Y boat

1. Older Y boats are grey with orange bow dodger (like mine and Mart's). Newer ones are all orange, but none of the newer ones will have reached sell out age yet.

2. The ends of the tubes don't look right - on the Y boat the tubes come to a point, not to a disc like the tubes in the photo.

3. Looks like the valves are different - not sure if they might be pressure relief valves, or valves designed for fill via CO2 cylinder?

4. Y boat oars are permanently rigged, using webbing loops as rowlocks. The stowages for the oar blades on the ends of the tubes do look right though.

5. Usually you can see where the RNLI logos were glued.

There are a few possibilities - it could be a previous build I have not come across before, it could be the boat is not ex-RNLI, it could also be a trials boat - at various times over the years, the RNLI has bought in SIBS and other equipment from various manufacturers for comparative trials, to make sure they are getting the best kit and best value for money.

I would work on the basis it is not ex RNLI - for a 3.5 metre hypalon SIB, £150 is still not a bad price if the condition is not too bad (assuming the state of it is purely cosmetic).

Cheers

Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0006.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	49275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscf0005.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	49276  
Old 21 February 2010, 09:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
Hmm, well I'm not sure but I don't think it is a Y boat

1. Older Y boats are grey with orange bow dodger (like mine and Mart's). Newer ones are all orange, but none of the newer ones will have reached sell out age yet.

2. The ends of the tubes don't look right - on the Y boat the tubes come to a point, not to a disc like the tubes in the photo.

3. Looks like the valves are different - not sure if they might be pressure relief valves, or valves designed for fill via CO2 cylinder?

4. Y boat oars are permanently rigged, using webbing loops as rowlocks. The stowages for the oar blades on the ends of the tubes do look right though.

5. Usually you can see where the RNLI logos were glued.

There are a few possibilities - it could be a previous build I have not come across before, it could be the boat is not ex-RNLI, it could also be a trials boat - at various times over the years, the RNLI has bought in SIBS and other equipment from various manufacturers for comparative trials, to make sure they are getting the best kit and best value for money.

I would work on the basis it is not ex RNLI - for a 3.5 metre hypalon SIB, £150 is still not a bad price if the condition is not too bad (assuming the state of it is purely cosmetic).

Cheers

Chris
Excellent info Chris ,Closer examination the transom has not been cut away ,it has a plate over,,,,,,,,,,,,, the valve set up does that mean i won t be able to inflate it with bellows? electric pump? will i be able to get the correct valve adaptor? oh dear a right can of worms now,lol
Old 21 February 2010, 09:40   #13

Hard to say with the transom - it does look cut away, but obviously don't know who / when it was cutaway.

The white valves look like A3 or SRTU relief valves (see page 8):

http://www.ibs-boats.co.uk/download/...talogue-08.pdf

Zooming in on the photo of the transom, it looks like there might be a black valve on the port tube, just aft of the transom? I assume the seller is supplying a pump? You might have to sort out an adaptor to work with any existing pump you have.

Is there no way you can get down to Plymouth to look at the boat (and potentially save on shipping costs)? Otherwise, I wonder if there are any Plymouth based Ribnetters who could have a look at it for you?

Cheers

Chris
Old 21 February 2010, 09:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
Hard to say with the transom - it does look cut away, but obviously don't know who / when it was cutaway.

The white valves look like A3 or SRTU relief valves (see page 8):

http://www.ibs-boats.co.uk/download/...talogue-08.pdf

Zooming in on the photo of the transom, it looks like there might be a black valve on the port tube, just aft of the transom? I assume the seller is supplying a pump? You might have to sort out an adaptor to work with any existing pump you have.

Is there no way you can get down to Plymouth to look at the boat (and potentially save on shipping costs)? Otherwise, I wonder if there are any Plymouth based Ribnetters who could have a look at it for you?

Cheers

Chris
Now that would be cracking, if it could be looked at from someone on here from Plymouth ,as there is no way i could get there ,well could but a long train ride and more expense, wonder how much it would cost in fuel to drive to plymouth and back to gravesend kent and would a mate do it darn long way i feel i would have to pay them so proberly cost more,shipping it will only cost me £50 or so zoomed in on the transom looks ok ,it has some sticker peeling off which made it look like a square hole.not asked about the pump ,but as long as i can pump it up with my ones,should be fine,,,,,,,,,once cleaned up ,patchs repaired ,she will stay pumped up and will be taking her to hopfully a portsmouth boat club ,that link is cracking on sib parts ,will add that to favorites
Old 21 February 2010, 10:14   #15

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
My transom has been cut down from a longshaft one to accomadate a shortshaft, and I was told on here it was nothing to worry about. I wouldn't worry too much about that one as it much less cut than mine, and could probably rectified if it bothered you too much.
I am no expert, but if it was me, I would snap the boat up at that price. You could probably recoup your money if it turns out not to be for you.
Again, I am no expert, just my opinion.
Cheers,
Geoff
Old 21 February 2010, 10:33   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_Jubb View Post
My transom has been cut down from a longshaft one to accomadate a shortshaft, and I was told on here it was nothing to worry about. I wouldn't worry too much about that one as it much less cut than mine, and could probably rectified if it bothered you too much.
I am no expert, but if it was me, I would snap the boat up at that price. You could probably recoup your money if it turns out not to be for you.
Again, I am no expert, just my opinion.
Cheers,
Geoff
Make you right Geoff,it is a cracking price and he was gonna throw a home made trailer in aswell ,it looks tatty ,but i reckon i could get her looking good view up close it looks like this NUMBER ON IT,,,,,,,,,,,,KKSKE10? What ever that means